High-tensile fence question

Help Support CattleToday:

cmjust0":3afctsuj said:
I may have to try the square knots, then.. The splice ferrules I have don't work worth a plug nickel. They advertise "one ferrule per splice," but what they don't tell you is that you have to bend the tag ends back over the splice to make it hold.. The crimping is totally secondary; it's the bend that keeps it from sliding out. Square knot sounds better. And cheaper.. Probably easier.

I'll have to take your word on the tractor-strenght-test, though.. I might be able to stretch it out real good with one of my old 8N Fords if I hit it at a good run, but it's liable to sling me clear to the other side as it springs back. :lol:

You need to try a 460 International with a loader filled with rocks. Now that is kenetic energy working for you.

dun

Tod Dague":1ypun2xl said:
milesvb":1ypun2xl said:
dun":1ypun2xl said:
Tod Dague":1ypun2xl said:
dun":1ypun2xl said:
cowsense":1ypun2xl said:
We do use gripples for repairing broken wire!

I must be really cheap, I just use a square knot. The harder you pull the tighter it gets.

dun
Never tried the square knot, figured it would break at the knot when under a load.

Nope. It's probably the strongest way of joining to pieces together

dun

You guys ever use a telegraph splice? That's the way I was taught.
Never herd of it. How does it work?

I can't find a picture on the net so bear with me. Overlap the ends of the wires to be spliced and clamp them together in the middle of the overlap with a fencing plier or telegraph tool if your lucky enough to inherit one. Take another set of pliers and wrap the tag ends around the opposing wire on both sides of where you have it clamped. I'll try to post a pic later.

milesvb":30irwxma said:
Tod Dague":30irwxma said:
milesvb":30irwxma said:
dun":30irwxma said:
Tod Dague":30irwxma said:
dun":30irwxma said:
cowsense":30irwxma said:
We do use gripples for repairing broken wire!

I must be really cheap, I just use a square knot. The harder you pull the tighter it gets.

dun
Never tried the square knot, figured it would break at the knot when under a load.

Nope. It's probably the strongest way of joining to pieces together

dun

You guys ever use a telegraph splice? That's the way I was taught.
Never herd of it. How does it work?

I can't find a picture on the net so bear with me. Overlap the ends of the wires to be spliced and clamp them together in the middle of the overlap with a fencing plier or telegraph tool if your lucky enough to inherit one. Take another set of pliers and wrap the tag ends around the opposing wire on both sides of where you have it clamped. I'll try to post a pic later.
Is that like the pic Dun showed us on the first page?

Tod Dague":2glbtc6e said:
cfpinz":2glbtc6e said:
Another question: For interior division fences, how high do you put your bottom wire? A friend told me he puts his bottom wire at knee level, 20-24" or so, and the cows keep clean under it. Anyone try this?

cfpinz
I just run one wire about 36" to 38".

That's a creep fence! :lol: :lol:

Tod Dague":2iikvyhe said:

Nope, like this: (sorry for the pic quality)

P7270266.JPG

Splicing tool:

P7270271.JPG

I'm not sure how old this thing is. It may have belonged to great grandpa at one time. Heck it might be as old as Dun, assuming of course that Dun doesn't predate the telegraph. ;-)

milesvb":3m05nv4j said:
Heck it might be as old as Dun, assuming of course that Dun doesn't predate the telegraph. ;-)

:shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I use the square knot as well it is the easiest no tools needed. I use it to tie off the springs as well

I got a chance to tie off some hi-tensile square knots this weekend -- worked like a champ.

Thanks, dun! :)

milesvb":nazbhamj said:
Tod Dague":nazbhamj said:

Nope, like this: (sorry for the pic quality)

P7270266.JPG

I'm not sure how old this thing is. It may have belonged to great grandpa at one time. Heck it might be as old as Dun, assuming of course that Dun doesn't predate the telegraph. ;-)
Thanks, I think I've got it now. ;-)