High-tensile fence question

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
I was just curious how most people tied the ends off on high tensile fencing. Do you wrap it around itself or use those slip-on crimp connectors?

I've always used barbed wire or woven wire in the past but the recent price of wire/posts has made me give this stuff a try. Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

cfpinz

We wrap it. After you get the hang of it it's fast and cheap. Not that hard to catch onto how it's done

dun

Fast and cheap, sounds good to me. Specially the cheap part.

Thank You

cfpinz

You can do the wrap 2 ways. One way will lock the loop so that it doesn;t get smaller when you put a strain on it, the other way the loop will close tight on the post.
Take the end that you put around the ppost and pull it up under the part that's sticking out that the insulator is on. If you put the loose end inside of the loop and do your wraps it will lock it in place, if you put the loose end on the outside of it it will pull up tight to the post. If you put an L shaped bend about 4 inches from the end of the part that went around the post you can use it as a crank sortof to make your wraps. I hold one up and show you how cause it's easier then explaining but .................

dun

I have only used the slip on connectors. I prefer two on the ends and three if splicing. I keep a tool belt loaded with installation and repair items and an eight foot coil of HT wire to splice in when needed...like when cars go though the fence. I am open to better ideas and I'm now considering Dun's idea. I'm a little slow to figure out the example that he is holding up.

If you are going to work with hi-tensile get your electric fence dealer to show you the tricks and tips for working with this wire. A little practice and you will be tying off ends and doing splices quite easily. We do use gripples for repairing broken wire!

cowsense":1aktfxyd said:
We do use gripples for repairing broken wire!

I must be really cheap, I just use a square knot. The harder you pull the tighter it gets.

dun

dun":3vlyh27u said:
cowsense":3vlyh27u said:

I must be really cheap, I just use a square knot. The harder you pull the tighter it gets.

dun
Never tried the square knot, figured it would break at the knot when under a load.

Tod Dague":390zkj8b said:
dun":390zkj8b said:
cowsense":390zkj8b said:

dun
Never tried the square knot, figured it would break at the knot when under a load.

Nope. It's probably the strongest way of joining to pieces together

dun

dun":3sswtqn2 said:
Tod Dague":3sswtqn2 said:
dun":3sswtqn2 said:
cowsense":3sswtqn2 said:

dun

dun

You guys ever use a telegraph splice? That's the way I was taught.

milesvb":2qbytdlo said:
dun":2qbytdlo said:
Tod Dague":2qbytdlo said:
dun":2qbytdlo said:
cowsense":2qbytdlo said:

dun

dun

You guys ever use a telegraph splice? That's the way I was taught.
Never herd of it. How does it work?

You take the 2 tag ends and tie them in a square knot.

The ends with the plugs are the tag ends. Make sure the tag ends come out both either on the top of the loop or the bottom

knot.jpg

Another question: For interior division fences, how high do you put your bottom wire? A friend told me he puts his bottom wire at knee level, 20-24" or so, and the cows keep clean under it. Anyone try this?

cfpinz

cfpinz":2jbnqabc said:
Another question: For interior division fences, how high do you put your bottom wire? A friend told me he puts his bottom wire at knee level, 20-24" or so, and the cows keep clean under it. Anyone try this?

cfpinz
I just run one wire about 36" to 38".

Hey dun, is a square knot as difficult as it looks like it might be to tie into 12.5ga hi-tensile wire, or do you just leave the tag ends really long, or...?

It's not as hard as it looks. Leave the tag kind of long and when you put a strain on the fence it cinches up tight. I drove through a section of high tensile with the tractor, it stretched about 35 feet before it submitted. Short run of maybe 100 feet. It didn;t break at the knot but shot the end post out of the ground like a sky rocket.

dun

I may have to try the square knots, then.. The splice ferrules I have don't work worth a plug nickel. They advertise "one ferrule per splice," but what they don't tell you is that you have to bend the tag ends back over the splice to make it hold.. The crimping is totally secondary; it's the bend that keeps it from sliding out. Square knot sounds better. And cheaper.. Probably easier.

I'll have to take your word on the tractor-strenght-test, though.. I might be able to stretch it out real good with one of my old 8N Fords if I hit it at a good run, but it's liable to sling me clear to the other side as it springs back. :lol:

Latest posts