High Tensile Corral

Help Support CattleToday:

Douglas

Reaction score
Anyone using high tensile electric fencing in loading areas. I need to replace a woven wire fence and expand the area a little outside the chute.

Not a good idea. If you're talking electric, all it takes is one to accidently brush it and start tryig to get away form it and you have a real mess. The catch pen on this farm when we bought it was hightensile (gaucho) barb. After a couple of cows went through it and we had to doctor cuts I scrapped it and replaced it with the 16 foot cattle panels for the main body and heavy weight coral panels for th parts that are really pressured.

I wouldn't be confident it would hold my cattle.
We use an arena that was built for roping. The turnback alley goes from wire panels at the initial end to wire fencing down most of the straight side, then to corral panels in a cut off pen, then to guard rail at the turn that leads to the chute and loading gate. It's overkill for the most part, but aside from the one leaper we have, it works fine.

In a loading or working area, the cattle are constantly coming into contact with the fences. I can't imagine this working well.

When I try to imagine it, a pinball machine comes to mind.

I'd try cattle panels or woven wire.

Never used it, but seen pictures a time or two of corrals with real close spacing on the wire(couple inches) and no electric. I remember thinking it looked pretty good.

I don't think it would be good in a loading area where the fence would get a lot of pressure, but I do think you could make working pens out of closely spaced high tensile (not electric) with a rail on top and about shoulder height to provide a visual barrier to slow them down before they hit the high tensile. I think you could electrify the fence in an area that is going to get low pressure such as the initial holding pen.

Douglas":2oft5d1l said:
Anyone using high tensile electric fencing in loading areas.
Loading area is railroad ties and planks. My favorite is full dimension oak 2x6s. I see alot of cattle panels but I think they are a poor compromise unless you only have a couple head. A factor most folks do not consider is grouping. A crowded trailer load grouping (in a loading area) could push an unlucky animal into the wire...
One of our holding pens is high tensile with 10" spacing. Works OK as we do not crowd them or get excited.

Latest posts