high tensile barbwire fence?

Help Support CattleToday:

I think the previous post refers to standard smooth high tensile wire. Grew up using standard barbed. Had cows run through it like it wasn't there. Switched to 6 strands smooth high tensile on perimeter fences, 3 electric. 4 strands on interior fences, all electric. Had two cars go through it without breaking.

This whole subject appears again to be one of those things we all need to agree to disagree on.

My only hope is that those up river of me will use some sense. I wind up with all their fence in my pecan trees when it floods. Those fences catch debris, debris clusters and backs up behind old growth orchard trees, the water vortexes and digs a pit behind the tree, then the tree goes over. Sad.

I have to pull out all the wire and bury it in a pit. It is extrememly time consuming. Especially when it is not easily cut.

Some of the weekend warriors from the city have no experience with any of this. The salesmen probably see them coming. You have to wonder what happens when their high dollar cow gets hung up in wire stuck in the brush from the last flood.

Ten years down the road they will have learned but there will be someone else who has to learn the hard way. It is a cycle and costly for us.

I fenced a 80 with high tensile 10 yrs ago. I've had a few broken wires. Harder to repair then the regular stuff. Doesn't hold up to deer, trees falling on it, cows leaning on it. stuff like that.

Nope I'll never use it again.

danl":15oxyo16 said:
They just push through it without barbs on it. Wound up putting stays every three ft.
Are we all talking about the same stuff?
I first put up Gaucho and Redbrand High Tensile (all 4 barb) 20 years ago when I bought my place. I have a 125 acres and along with cross fencing and boundry fences I have a few miles of it up. It is still tight and I wouldn't go back to using the heavy 12 guage for nothing.
I don't understand about not being able to stretch it. I stretch a 1/4 mile at a time using fence stretchers or a come-a-long and get it tight enough to yank steel posts out of low places if I'm not careful. It don't sag, and the only breakage I've had is if a tree falls on it. I have some Redbrand Hi-tensile barb wire behind my house that I know is at least 27 years old (because that's when I got marrried, Nov 15 1980) and it isn't rusty at all. In fact I took some of it up this summer and reused it to build a new hay pen. I stretched the crap out of it and it didn't break. Sounds like a guitar string.
So what gives???????????
I don't have religious convictions about hi-tensile barbwire, I'm just curious how our opinions are so different :lol: :lol:

I have had the same good experience with it you have.

Smooth hi tensile wire won't hold cows unless it is hot.

Brute 23":1f3rwjfy said:
Hippie Rancher":1f3rwjfy said:
Somebody was trying to use smooth wire without electrifying it? :shock: :secret: <---- me keeping my mouth shut.

:D :D Barbs will not work with people who raise their cows in bubbles... might pop. :lol: :lol:

Ah but you can roll it up and bury it deep quite easily.

backhoeboogie":bjdar6vm said:
Brute 23":bjdar6vm said:
Hippie Rancher":bjdar6vm said:
Somebody was trying to use smooth wire without electrifying it? :shock: :secret: <---- me keeping my mouth shut.

:D :D Barbs will not work with people who raise their cows in bubbles... might pop. :lol: :lol:

Ah but you can roll it up and bury it deep quite easily.

Man :shock: I've tried rolling that stuff up :help: Seems its always trying to get me. :(

mnmtranching":jp74yxo8 said:
I've tried rolling that stuff up :help: Seems its always trying to get me. :(

That's the reason my wifes job when I'm tearing it down is to cut it into 1 foot chunks.

Wire and fencing comes in different classes. Class 1 is only good for about 6 years, where as class 3 wire is good for 30+ years. Ya get what you pay for.

dun":q35xwpdr said:
mnmtranching":q35xwpdr said:
I've tried rolling that stuff up :help: Seems its always trying to get me. :(

That's the reason my wifes job when I'm tearing it down is to cut it into 1 foot chunks.

Yeah 8) Get the Boss out there with HER helmet :eek: Wish me luck! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Calman":2jroyagg said:
We bought 200 acres recently from a guy who raises and boards trains cutting horses. The whole place is fenced in high tensil. May have been good for his horses, but I (like Dunn)absolutly HATE it for cattle. They just push through it without barbs on it. Wound up putting stays every three ft.
Just my experience.

Cal

Failed to mention it is smooth wire and not and has never been electrified.

Never used high tensile, have used from the cheapest to some pretty expensive but has been Oaklahoma 4 barb for years now, and will never change. Good sharp barbs stretches tight, last a long time, trees break it, deer also, but my son is now doing it, and dosen't want to use anything different. We think it is the best wire to use. And won't break your wallet. To each his own, best of luck with whatever you use.

tryinhard

Definitions:
Hi Tensile wire is 12.5 ga SMOOTH wire. Intended to be electrified.
Gaucho barb is also called "hi-tensile", but that only started after HT became a buzz word.
I call Gaucho "sticky barb".

I can build a mile of 6 wire HT electric before you build half a mile of any barb. Cheaper too. Posts every 40 feet on level ground. But it is useless if you don't electrify. Dangerous too. I know a horse that had to be put down because he got it wrapped around his leg. If it is hot, cattle and horses never touch it.

HT is easy to repair. Easy to build and inexpensive. It works for me. Haven't had a cow out in years.

john250":2ln9rrkb said:
Definitions:
Hi Tensile wire is 12.5 ga SMOOTH wire. Intended to be electrified.
Gaucho barb is also called "hi-tensile", but that only started after HT became a buzz word.

John they have been making high tensile chain and cable etc. for years and years. Never heard that term added to fencing until recently. But the term "High Tensile" can be found in really old books that were written long before we were around. High Tensile steel can be found in books written in the 30's.