High sodium in water

Help Support CattleToday:

novaman

Reaction score
I have a lot of sodium in my water. I have nothing but problems when I water my trees and garden. The ground gets very hard and the plants don't seem to thrive. I'm beginning to believe that the sodium is causing the soil particles to break apart. I know calcium has the opposite effect, causing the soil the flocculate. My question is, is there some way to treat my water to make it better for my watering? I don't have access to any water source other than the well water I am currently using.

We have the same situation. Reverse Osmosis is the only option, but not practical on the scale needed for gardening. We are in the process of installing an 1800 gallon cistern to catch water from the house roof.

novaman":2ty5jpaf said:
My question is, is there some way to treat my water to make it better for my watering? I don't have access to any water source other than the well water I am currently using.

The only thing I can think of would be a water softener at the well source.

msscamp":3u8w91mb said:
novaman":3u8w91mb said:
My question is, is there some way to treat my water to make it better for my watering? I don't have access to any water source other than the well water I am currently using.

Water softeners remove calcium and replace it with sodium.

jkwilson":3fyml4qd said:
msscamp":3fyml4qd said:
novaman":3fyml4qd said:

Water softeners remove calcium and replace it with sodium.

Well, then that isn't going to work worth a flip! :oops: Thanks for the info, jk. It was my understanding that water softeners removed all minerals without adding anything to the water.

Latest posts