High school sports?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I had lunch yesterday with a friend, that coaches high school basketball. He said in 20 years or less, that high school sports would cease to exist. He did say football would survive. He said traveling ball etc. would be the preferred avenue for young people. Didn't seem plausible at first , but as he explained it, the thing made sense. What do you think?

Bigfoot":245eya4t said:
I had lunch yesterday with a friend, that coaches high school basketball. He said in 20 years or less, that high school sports would cease to exist. He did say football would survive. He said traveling ball etc. would be the preferred avenue for young people. Didn't seem plausible at first , but as he explained it, the thing made sense. What do you think?

I hope he is wrong. My son was a pretty fair basketball player and we did the AAU circuit for years.I used to tell him that while the games were fun and very competitive nothing would top the thrill he would get playing for his high school team. Once he made it to high school he told me it was way more meaningful playing high school ball than travel ball.

High School basketball in my part of the state actually exceeds the enthusiasm that I see for UK Basketball. For the last month, high school basketball tops all other topics of discussion in the weight room of the Maysville YMCA. And age does not seem to diminish that enthusiasm. There was a guy Thursday who said he was 74 and he never shut up all the time I was there.

Maysville is legendary for basketball. Allen Feldhaus is from here. He played college basketball for Adolf Rupp and later played professional baseball. He came back to Maysville to become a high school coaching legend. His son, Deron played for Rick Pitino.

Anecdotally, I don't think your friend is correct.

Bigfoot":3qi76y03 said:

I was thinking football was in trouble as well in some communities.
Went to see one of the grandsons games against a team that was known for their program.
This was a 5A school bet they didn't have 30 on the squad, the stands were nearly empty.
I ask what happened said the kids just don't go out anymore.

Kids are losing their enthusiasm for football around here to. (Maybe not for wrestling though) and rivalries aren't as big of a deal any more either! Except for two schools where one school raped a girl from another school after a football game! And craped on the visitors side of the stands before the game!

I'm not sure myself. Sounds like practice less, play more, pick your teammates, pick your coach, play in tournaments that scouts are at. Not to mention when you put a pencil to it, sports are expensive on a school district (especially if people aren't coming to games).

I'll leave something out, but the schools here provide the following: football, boys and girls basketball, boys and girls soccer, volleyball, wrestling, track, golf, baseball, softball, tennis, dance, cheer. Two high schools. Makes me wonder how much that all cost?

Schools around here have cut their ag programs to the skinny, so the parents have helped out by creating benefit BBQ's and auctions of manufactured and donated items. The FFA kids are always making something that can be used on the farm and they go for big bucks. Football is still king in our town and there are still plenty of kids wanting to play.

I'd rather my tax dollars pay for high school sports than free phone's. If it wasn't for sports and trade classes, school would of been a real waste of time.

The school buildings may be falling in but the sports facilities will be first class. Amazing how much some are spending on new facilities, BUT come game time they fill them to the brim. Frisco HS stadium seats over 20,000 and usually standing room only. Same for Allen and many others. Coach makes $150K a year, ag teacher makes $40K

Frisco is playing out of Pizza Hut Park which is a commercial venue and they have to share the place with all their high schools. Allen is a stand alone and McKinney is in the process of building one larger than Allen's. It will also be a shared facility. Funny, but McKinney was going to be the largest in the nation until a city down around Houston decided they were going to build larger. Looks to me like lots of these places have Little Stadium Syndrome.

TexasBred":35snwl4i said:
The school buildings may be falling in but the sports facilities will be first class. Amazing how much some are spending on new facilities, BUT come game time they fill them to the brim. Frisco HS stadium seats over 20,000 and usually standing room only. Same for Allen and many others. Coach makes $150K a year, ag teacher makes $40K

The general public doesn't care about 20 kids in an Ag program. The schools around here really only care about the football program.
Some of the larger districts have built shared stadiums to cut cost. Looks more like a small NCAA program at the same time some of the rural districts are collapsing. They just can't afford to keep up.
It's just changing demographics.

Football is still king in Texas .went to watch state track meet in Austin a couple of years ago to watch 4 x 400 relay . Won it but maybe 100 Carthage fans there, 18000 fans to watch them win state this year at Jerry's house, it helps when you win state 6 out of the last 10 years in class 4A, but the local people & oilfield companies do turn out and support out local 4H & FFA sale each year and deserve a big thank you for helping these youngsters as they put in a lot of time and effect in their projects and do not get the recognition they deserve

It's odd how different it is here. I live within 10 mile's of 2 high schools and have never been to a football game. Very rare that I even know there is a game. A couple hundred people would be a big crowd here.

I sure hope not. I had a son play football and our team did well. Several state titles in 10 years. My daughter played travelling bball from 3rd grade on. We live in Canadian, Tx and her group won state last year in 3A (first for our girls bball), total respect for girls sports as well. Would really hate to see all that go away.

kenny thomas":1hdyfsx4 said:
It's odd how different it is here. I live within 10 mile's of 2 high schools and have never been to a football game. Very rare that I even know there is a game. A couple hundred people would be a big crowd here.
You aren't alone. I never understood the fascination with most sports that involve balls. Lead balls I get, but this can also be considered an art.
There is precious little time in this life to scramble around like a bunch of chickens on a June bug.

Yes Canadian Texas knows how to play football very well . Congrats to the players,parents & coaches as y'all have represented North Texas very well,now hopefully we can see all texas classifications girl sports get the recognition they truly deserve

Ouachita":pqln9q0k said:
kenny thomas":pqln9q0k said:
You aren't alone. I never understood the fascination with most sports that involve balls. Lead balls I get, but this can also be considered an art.
There is precious little time in this life to scramble around like a bunch of chickens on a June bug.
I'm betting you never played any of these sports either. A lot of things athletes do with that little ball might be considered art. Everybody has their own opinion on things and that's good.

My buddy did say, that football would survive. I can see how the other sports would move that direction. Here, little league baseball, and junior pro basketball is only utilized by families that cant afford joining a travel team.

TexasBred":30f6e25g said:
Ouachita":30f6e25g said:
kenny thomas":30f6e25g said:
I'm betting you never played any of these sports either. A lot of things athletes do with that little ball might be considered art. Everybody has their own opinion on things and that's good.
I did play football, basketball, and baseball in junior high and high school. I enjoyed it, and I agree there is an art to being good. You are correct regarding opinions; I expected my opinion was implied. I don't expect others to share the same opinion.
These sports, and the level of attention that is demanded of the viewer have changed so much since those days, it has changed my appreciation for same. I'd like to watch a good game without all the drama which precedes, and the soap opera style fallout. Many folks are abandoning major league sports for various reasons. I bailed 20 years ago. I still like to watch a local high school game, and participate in youth games.
I did not intend to come off as if I'm anti-sports. I have found much better avenues to spend time with and for those close to me, as well as myself.

I would be interested in knowing the time spent and the dollar amount that people collectively spend in this country, just to watch, not play themselves. It is my opinion this nation would be much better off if we all , myself included, redirected that time and $$ to parenting.

Latest posts