High Maintenance Heifers ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I purchased some Simi X heifers and bred them "calving ease" Angus. I am having to pull most of the bull calves. The heifers are now 26 months old and trying to deliver 80 to 96 pound bulls :shock: , with most in the low 80s.

How big of a bull calf do you expect a heifer to deliver unassisted?

This is very interesting to me.

When I started, I was using PB Angus semen on Simmental and Simangus mostly heifers. The calves averaged in the 90s. Many in the 95 range.

Fire Sweep advised me to use PB or 3/4 blood Simmental Bulls. The birth weights have moderated. My average is now about 87 pounds.

The Angus bulls were producing bigger calves than the Simmental Bulls. I now stay with Simmental Bulls.

BTW: I have had about 4 heifers come through delivery of 100 pound calves unassisted.

NOTE: the Angus bulls I was using were extreme calving ease.

Stocker Steve":2dbjlrjc said:
I purchased some Simi X heifers and bred them calving ease Angus. I am having to pull most of the bull calves. The heifers are now 26 months old and trying to deliver 80 to 96 pound bulls :shock: , with most in the low 80s.

Don't plan to buy more of this kind... Meanwhile, how big of a bull calf do you expect a heifer to deliver unassisted?
Heterosis starts early. Although an angus brings little to the party as far as growth (just joking, in the spirit of threadsive seen lately). You may find that epd birth weights are more predictable on the same like and kind of cattle.

Bright Raven":2w2l2iew said:
When I started, I was using PB Angus semen on Simmental and Simangus mostly heifers. The calves averaged in the 90s. Many in the 95 range.

Fire Sweep advised me to use PB or 3/4 blood Simmental Bulls. The birth weights have moderated. My average is now about 87 pounds. The Angus bulls were producing bigger calves than the Simmental Bulls.

I had PB Simi semen in the tank. Never thought I would have this issue using proven angus sires... So higher birth weights is normal for simi x angus?

Stocker Steve":164rbfyg said:
Bright Raven":164rbfyg said:

Fire Sweep advised me to use PB or 3/4 blood Simmental Bulls. The birth weights have moderated. My average is now about 87 pounds. The Angus bulls were producing bigger calves than the Simmental Bulls.

I had PB Simi semen in the tank. Never thought I would have this issue using proven angus sires... So higher birth weights is normal for simi x angus?

As Bigfoot says, so does Fire Sweep. It is a function of heterosis.

I would expect anything 90 lbs and under to require no assistance. 90-100 lbs minimal assistance. That being said, I have had heifers pop out 115 lbs standing up and some needing a hard pull at same weight. Selection is your friend. Also, I cut the breds way back on feed for the last month-2 months of gestation - talk about low birth weights - every calf coming out is a good 10 lbs+ lighter than normal and very lively.

Aaron":24nvbgwd said:
I would expect anything 90 lbs and under to require no assistance. 90-100 lbs minimal assistance. That being said, I have had heifers pop out 115 lbs standing up and some needing a hard pull at same weight. Selection is your friend. Also, I cut the breds way back on feed for the last month-2 months of gestation - talk about low birth weights - every calf coming out is a good 10 lbs+ lighter than normal and very lively.

Wise move by a wise cattleman.

Body shape is as important (or more) than birthweight.. For that my homeraised bull is doing better than my limo, nice slender heads and smooth eyebrows.
I would like for my heifers to all have 70 lb calves, but usually they're somewhere in the 80's, sometimes 90's.. this year I had 3 heifers, the first two calved unassisted, the 3rd one was a pretty lousy heifer and got the calf hiplocked and had to pull pretty good on that one (she never did lay down)

They are on grass hay and not over conditioned, but they do have a lot of bone. The calves are blocky and that is part of the issue.

TennesseeTuxedo":1aoo8q5m said:
Aaron":1aoo8q5m said:

You finally made an astute observation. I am surprised you didn't make another mythical comment about my bottomless feeders.

Bright Raven":3m35eu0l said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3m35eu0l said:
Aaron":3m35eu0l said:

You finally made an astute observation. I am surprised you didn't make another mythical comment about my bottomless feeders.

I'm tired of picking on you.

You do feed too much though.

Latest posts