High magnesium mineral

Help Support CattleToday:

Kelly

Reaction score
How many of you use high magnesium mineral when putting your cattle out on new spring grass? I live in a town with very limited choices on feeds & mineral. I asked them to get me some high magnesium mineral in & they looked at me like I was crazy. They sell only one kind of mineral & one brand of tubs & that is it. :roll:

Yall might think I'm Crazy, but I keep Loose Hi-Mag out all year. Free Choice. We use Sweetlix Copperhead Hi-Mag, with rain gard. With spring pasture growing like it is, you need to get your hands on some, or Find another Feed Store with an open mind.Make sure it's AT LEAST 14% mag.

Alot might depend on your location and your cattle's needs. I feed High Mag when I start calving. Sometimes as early as Jan. 1st. But I do not keep it out year round.

I too keep high Mg out all year round, and add IGR in the early spring to help with the reduction of fly pressure. A number of people around here also keep High Mg. out year round.

Billy

I try, but I've found my cows cut way back on the amount consumed with the high mag. I wind up cutting the high mag 3 to 1 with the normal stuff to keep consumption up. I'm wondering if the cows would get more mag with the higher consumption of standard mineral than they do with the high mag.

We also only offer the High Mag mineral in the early spring when the rye grass and clover is coming on. By mid May or June we put them back on a regular mineral mix.

The only bag mineral the feed store carries is 0.50%. I have some magnesium Oxide that is 54%. How much would I need to add to my mineral mixture @ least until I find another supplier in another town.

50 -75 grams a day of intake should suffice. That would equal about 1 and 3/4 ounces to 2 and 1/2 ounces per day. Per Head of adult cattle. I don't know how you feed,from a bin or a bag... I'll let you do the math.And the mixing. :lol:Try to get the Folks down at the Feed Store to get you some Hi-Mag mixed mineral.It would be a lot more conveinient for you..I can't undersatnd why they don't have it in stock?

Kelly":15u43l0q said:
How many of you use high magnesium mineral when putting your <a href="http://cattletoday.com">cattle</a> out on new spring grass? I live in a town with very limited choices on feeds & mineral. I asked them to get me some high magnesium mineral in & they looked at me like I was crazy. They sell only one kind of mineral & one brand of tubs & that is it. :roll:
Any feed store which looks at you as if you were crazy deserves to 'look at you' NOT coming into the store ever again! I am sure you are not so far away from another feed store with some integrity that you can't order whatever you wish, even if it is in volume. Part of the responsibility of a feed store is education and SERVICE to their customers. Sounds to me as though that clerk was some smart --- kid who didn't know or care!

DOC HARRIS":1k0rwfe7 said:
Kelly":1k0rwfe7 said:
How many of you use high magnesium mineral when putting your <a href="http://cattletoday.com"><a href="http://cattletoday.com">cattle</a></a> out on new spring grass? I live in a town with very limited choices on feeds & mineral. I asked them to get me some high magnesium mineral in & they looked at me like I was crazy. They sell only one kind of mineral & one brand of tubs & that is it. :roll:
Any feed store which looks at you as if you were crazy deserves to 'look at you' NOT coming into the store ever again! I am sure you are not so far away from another feed store with some integrity that you can't order whatever you wish, even if it is in volume. Part of the responsibility of a feed store is education and SERVICE to their customers. Sounds to me as though that clerk was some smart --- kid who didn't know or care!

If I treated a single customer of ours that way, I might as well close the doors and call it quits.Heck, everyone would call me quits before I would.Not the way to keep a customer.You have to treat everone's needs the same no matter what their needs are big or small. small operator, Hobby farmer or Big Time Producer.

Kelly":1wfrbgn0 said:
How many of you use high magnesium mineral when putting your cattle out on new spring grass? I live in a town with very limited choices on feeds & mineral. I asked them to get me some high magnesium mineral in & they looked at me like I was crazy. They sell only one kind of mineral & one brand of tubs & that is it. :roll:
========
Kelly,

Not many feed magnesium year round...probably most who do are also selling it...thats self serving.

In fact the first thing recommended on Sweetlix web site has to do with proper pasture management. Other sites also have similar advice.

We put it out in the spring mostly....and always based on a good assessment of weather and pasture conditions.

As with all trace minerals it may be wise to check with your extension agent who would/should know what is recommended in your particular
area. I've seen studies that strongly suggest...while they are very important...many trace minerals are over marketed and over fed. Some can build up and cause problems.

Youre being smart to check it out.

preston39":3vlkhefd said:
Kelly":3vlkhefd said:
========
Kelly,

Not many feed magnesium year round...probably most who do are also selling it...thats self serving.

In fact the first thing recommended on Sweetlix web site has to do with proper pasture management. Other sites also have similar advice.

We put it out in the spring mostly....and always based on a good assessment of weather and pasture conditions.

As with all trace minerals it may be wise to check with your extension agent who would/should know what is recommended in your particular
area. I've seen studies that strongly suggest...while they are very important...many trace minerals are over marketed and over fed. Some can build up and cause problems.

Youre being smart to check it out.

I sell several types of Minerals.Just because I sell them does not mean I exploit them.(Mag) I care about my cattle, and they get proper attention.The statement about Trace Minerals building up is erronius. TRACE,= small, relatively none. Trace mineral is exactly what it says it is. A trace composite of various minerals.They ARE NOT overmarketed, just over estimated in the consumer's mind you are not getting much more than a dyed block of salt.Of Course pasture managemnt is most important, and key to any operation.So are minerals. But TRACE minerals do not build up and cause problems.I also, in addendum do not like to be accused of being self serving.Because of feeding what I sell.Again makes no sense.Some people like eating their own words.Specially arrogant, waana be's.

Crowderfarms":3qg2u516 said:
DOC HARRIS":3qg2u516 said:
Kelly":3qg2u516 said:
How many of you use high magnesium mineral when putting your <a href="http://cattletoday.com"><a href="http://cattletoday.com">cattle</a></a> out on new spring grass? I live in a town with very limited choices on feeds & mineral. I asked them to get me some high magnesium mineral in & they looked at me like I was crazy. They sell only one kind of mineral & one brand of tubs & that is it. :roll:

If I treated a single customer of ours that way, I might as well close the doors and call it quits.Heck, everyone would call me quits before I would.Not the way to keep a customer.You have to treat everone's needs the same no matter what their needs are big or small. small operator, Hobby farmer or Big Time Producer.
=============
crowder...thats the best joke i have seen today..it should be posted on the proper board though...not health and nutrition.

preston39":ywuronok said:
Crowderfarms":ywuronok said:
DOC HARRIS":ywuronok said:
Kelly":ywuronok said:

=============
crowder...thats the best joke i have seen today..it should be posted on the proper board though...not health and nutrition.

It was a response generated from the thread. We are of the highest, respected integrity in the area.Keep your Mole Cricket butt on the " I'm dumber than a box of possum ****" boards. You're doing nothin but making a bigger fool of youself.

Crowder, I agree. I keep out 12/12 loose minerals year-round. When the cows need them, they eat them. When they don't need them, they leave them alone. I just make sure there is mineral available at all times. You want minerals 'built up' in a cows system so everything works properly. If they are lacking in minerals then you can come across some problems. I could see where they might eat too much mineral if it is inproperly mixed with a feed source but if the body doesn't need it, it will be flushed from the system.

sidney411":jef0yfcm said:
Crowder, I agree. I keep out 12/12 loose minerals year-round. When the cows need them, they eat them. When they don't need them, they leave them alone. I just make sure there is mineral available at all times. You want minerals 'built up' in a cows system so everything works properly. If they are lacking in minerals then you can come across some problems. I could see where they might eat too much mineral if it is inproperly mixed with a feed source but if the body doesn't need it, it will be flushed from the system.
Sidney - well said! Free choice Minerals -year 'round - is a small price to pay for BIG benefits and avoidance of Bigger problems. Same as Human Vitamin and Mineral diet Supplementation. Ask me - I know. It's a part of my Profession. Cows are not much different than us - only bigger and more stomachs! (Some of us, anyway! Ha Ha )

Kelly":1z1dzspq said:

Kelly, you might want to check out http://www.moormans.com. We used to use them when I was a kid (until we got a representative that drove like a bat out of *#^^ and Dad kicked him off the place). Their products can be custom mixed, according to the website - I didn't check into it, and they used to deliver. Not sure about that now. Wouldn't hurt to check.

Howdy,

Check with your local extension agent. Find out what your area has or lacks.

Northern Virginia area
High Mag mineral year round.
I have 4 dusticator's always filled, and always used.

Magnesium isn't taken up very well in the forage and a lot of nitrogen causes it to be even more poorly assimilated into the plant. The faster the plant growth the poorer it enters the plant. That's why high nitrogen applications causes problems.
In normal years we keep out high mag through late may and in some cases early june. This year the grasses have already gone reproductive. The loose minerals we feed have a moderatily high level of magnesium anyway but we don;t seem to have a problem "here" with grass tetauny.
One problem with changing the magnesium content of the minerals is a palatability issue. The stuff stinks and the cows don;t seem to eat is nearly as readily as the lower mag stuff. But I have found that the calves love the stuff and probably eat as much or maybe more then the cows do.

dun

Latest posts