High headed COW

Help Support CattleToday:

M5farm

Reaction score
I have this brangus cow that has never been a problem just flighty and high headed I bought her in 12. She raises a good calf, very sound probably the prettiest cow I got. She always sees everything. SHe never runs if I'm on the tractor but as soon as me feet touch the ground she takes off and keeps 50 yards or so between us. I give them a couple buckets of feed every day and I began to notice for the last few weeks she would not run off if I didn't make eye contact with her. yesterday she came to the trough when I was putting feed in it. this feels like a win to me.

High grit can tell you that she took off last week before I could close the gate.

Bigfoot":2ehlgrwi said:
I never look at a cow. 10 times more apst to run if you do.

I try to move with purpose and head down some but none of the others are bothered with eye contact just her.

WE had a farm hand years ago that it never failed as soon as he got in the cow pen he would stumble and fall down. there is nothing worse than a 6' 5 man about 300#
with a zztop beard falling down and spooking cows.

Aaron":2e5nbvxv said:
Glad she is at your place. She would be gone within the week here. Don't care if she raises a $2500 calf.

shes BLACK so that's your first cull criteria

I was surprised that your cows aren't calmer. Because when you call for them they come, so their not scared of you. You might of finally earned her trust. I have a couple that I keep an eye on, some cows are unpredictable. But if you're getting rid of her I'll be there in the morning to pick her up.
Easy now Aaron, black calves bring a lot more money around here.

It would be great if the flighty ones would run to where you wanted them to go. 100% of the time they take off to go where you don't want them. :cboy:

Had a brangus cow once that was pretty calm until she went through the chute. It didn't matter what you done or how you did it. When she came out she was doing some head hunting. She would be back to normal in a few minutes.

Sound like my swaybagged Shorthorn cow.. After calving she's a witch for a couple days, then she settles back down and she's all sweet again.
I have another cow that had a bad experience when getting put in the crowding/calving pen.. She went to the vet and got dehorned. 8 years later she still seems to remember what happened, and she'll break down anything to get out.. we've given up on putting her in there now..

Jeane from simi valley used to use the term COD. Cull On Disposition. High headed cows find a new home when we have one.

wbvs58":3jfjh9cn said:
She would have her head cut off here. Too big a chance for copycat behaviour by others.
Ken

Even if she changed her attitude ??

She does not fight. up until this week she just watches every move you make and stays at her safe distance. She always comes thru the gates with the rest when I change pastures, always comes to the lot with the bunch. I don't pet them so its not a problem.

I have a couple of Brangus cows left from a pen of 5 I bought as yearlings in 2008. They were nervous then and they're nervous now. Their calves aren't any more spooky than any of the rest of them, but the cows just won't settle down like I'd like them to. They don't fight, and I can pen them, or they'd have been gone long ago, but they're a little more quick than the rest to throw up their heads and move away when they see me.

she goes thru the working pen fine. I don't head catch her and she stands for the shots. When she is turned out she goes to the furthest corner and just watches

I have had a few that never got over it, and a couple that have. It's either in their genes or they have had experiences that make them leery. As long as it's just being leery and is not a fence jumper or gets after you, I wouldn't worry about it.
I have had home raised, halter broke show cattle get that way after roaming the hills in Oregon with all the predators.

She stood at the gate tonight till I went to the third trough and followed me. I have culled the ones that try to catch you.

Sometimes they aren't wild at all. Their just smart and don't want to get caught. That's usually the case with mine.

Latest posts