High cattle prices affecting hay pricing

Help Support CattleToday:

I talked to a man at the vets office and we were discussing hay and shortage of hay. He said that in 2011 he fed chicken litter. Also last year I bought 20 head of Red Angus in Okla. and the man there was feeding chicken litter. Not in a drought situation but he was getting very good gains on it. So a little bit of knowledge that you learn from someone else might go a long way in life.[/quote]

I suppose is all comes to ethics and doing what one feels is right for the livestock Hurley. I'm somehow not surprised you find nothing wrong with feed crap to cattle.

I dont think it is affecting price here, i roll 4x5 rolls net wrapped have sold them for $25 since 2010 no matter if hay is short or plentiful. I guess in 2011 when it was short i sold some to a guy and he asked why i didnt go up along with everyone else, i said its still costing me the same to do as long as the hay is there to cut. I dont cut weeds or broomsage, i never have to find anyone to buy it or come on and get it.

Hook":1lbgp1ex said:
Newspapers will stretch hay too but doesn't make it good for them.
Now, back to the topic, more and more people here are buying into cattle on smaller places because they see how much they think they can make and how much it's possible to save on property taxes. I think (and you all know how that works with me) that is what's driving the hay prices up. More demand. The 50 dollar rolls are only about 2/3 dog fennel and other weeds.
Chicken litter often contains a lot of ground up newspapers as well depending on your location.

Nesikep":1cwmxw2c said:
I sell my hay for $8/80 lb bale.. I couldn't justify don't any of the irrigation work or anything else at $25/roll

Your just a tightwad wanting to make money is all. Geesh.

I'll bale other peoples hay for $25 roll all day long as long as they pay for the fertilizer and do all the spraying.

most people expect just to pay $25 to have their hay baled.thats why we wont custom bale anymore.sure if we wanted to custom bale we could buy a 4 by 5 baler and get plenty of hay to bale.

Hook I wish prices where going up on the other side of the state. there is pressure here to lower prices. We are getting 40 for bermuda and 35 for bahia rolls.

Neighbor called today about hay. I agreed to sell to him for $60/ton in the field. He will use my stackmover to move the bales with his mfwd CaseIH MX120 since the hay is stacked that way now.

He has an older smaller single axle stackmover that doesn't haul as much. At home he has been using 2 tractors and just stacking on the mover pulled with a White 2-85 from where the bale was dropped.

Sold 8 stacks of the same hay for $70/ton delivered previously. I have 9 stacks of 15 -1300lb bales left. For all intents and purposes, the hauls are the same difference. Under 10 miles.

We are in a different world here in northeastern California. We put up the small bales, (3 tie). Mostly pure orchard grass, some alfalfa/orchard mix for the SoCal horse market. A 100 pound bale is selling for $15. By the time the trucker, the broker, and the feed store puts their markup on, it is not uncommon for people to pay $27 or $28 per bale.

thats for 2 reasons.1 horse people dont care what they have to give for horse hay.2 CA is in their 1st drought in state history.

Latest posts