Hickory nuts

Help Support CattleToday:

We are loaded with black walnuts here too. Used to be a big business in the fall people would pick them up and sell them

Old squirrel hunter here and the season opens in a little over a week. That means I have an eye out for ripening hickory nuts about this time. Yeah, they appear to be loaded this year.
I guess your pig nuts are what we call spignuts with the stress on the first syllable. Small, bitter and inedible but squirrels love them. We also have what we call a scaley bark, very delicious with a medium size nut that is easy to crack.
Most common is the shellbark, huge trees with the largest nuts but a shell as hard as a rock. These are the favorite of squirrels and classic squirrel hunting is to sit under one of these with ripening nuts on opening day, before daylight, with a true shooting 22 in hand. About first light the limbs begin to shake with arriving squirrels and with luck and a good eye you will have your limit by 8:00 or 9:00 AM.

Old squirrel hunter here and the season opens in a little over a week. That means I have an eye out for ripening hickory nuts about this time. Yeah, they appear to be loaded this year.
I guess your pig nuts are what we call spignuts with the stress on the first syllable. Small, bitter and inedible but squirrels love them. We also have what we call a scaley bark, very delicious with a medium size nut that is easy to crack.
Most common is the shellbark, huge trees with the largest nuts but a shell as hard as a rock. These are the favorite of squirrels and classic squirrel hunting is to sit under one of these with ripening nuts on opening day, before daylight, with a true shooting 22 in hand. About first light the limbs begin to shake with arriving squirrels and with luck and a good eye you will have your limit by 8:00 or 9:00 AM.

These arent all that bitter after they dried out but its alot of work for lil reward. squirrels here like to rob soybeans never seen much action on the hickory nuts

Latest posts