hickok

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Curious why not much discussion on Mill Bar Hickok on this site?
Too much 7229 and Final Answer blood out there already?
Anything else that is not to like about Hickok himself? I am hoping to use him this fall or next spring unless I get some poor feedback from the experts on this board!!

I have pretty much the same questions. To me Hickok looks like a really good bull for replacement heifers.

I just worry when there is not a lot of real world info on calves.

We have about 75-80 of his daughters but they are yearlings. They are growing...long in the spine...our Rampage daughters are gaining faster but have a little less length. We've been impressed so far.

hornedfrogbbq":22bt94ks said:
We have about 75-80 of his daughters but they are yearlings. They are growing...long in the spine...our Rampage daughters are gaining faster but have a little less length. We've been impressed so far.
How do the rampage dispositions compare to the Hickok? I have heard both was. One guys said they are a little rank, other said no different from the other calves.
I have been thinking heavily on using Hickok and capitalist 316 on this falls heifers.

https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedDtl. ... nycg%3d%3d
I bred all of my heifers this spring to this bull because I was able to get semen for 10$.
Number wise he is pretty unimpressive. In person his looks very good. Perfect feet, walks very well, lots of muscle expression, one of the better looking bulls I've seen in person. Just not sure how maternal he will be.

We were warned on Rampage but also had folks that said it matters more how you raise them and treat them than they just come out of the womb mad at the world. I'd say we have not seen anything too wild yet...but then again, they are only 4 or 5 months old. So far no difference. I'll update in a couple of more months.

hornedfrogbbq":28u9hlmk said:

Could you define long in the spine?

I'm looking to keep my cows more moderate framed. What I really don't want is a really tall animal with long legs. They seem to struggle more with out hilly pastures.

As our 79 year old cowboy has said, "he is long as a well rope." We run moderate framed cattle...if you define that as 1200-1300lb cows. We are not running tall or super large animals. We basically live in a desert in central Texas so we can't really carry a larger framed animal in our environment very efficiently.

Basically think back of the tail to the nose...long. The Rampage calves are not as long...but thicker and maybe a tad deeper although that may just be where we are in their development.

We used Hickok because on the Connealy influence from Consensus and then his son 7229. It still amazes me how many of Jerry and Sharon's cows are out of Consensus...to this day.

One other suggestion: Impression has been one heck of a cow maker for over 10 years. He died this spring but ABS still has his semen. His daughters in our herd are pretty impressive. We still have 100 straws of him i think and we'll circle back around and use him again on some other sires' daughters.

I have (4) heifers in the UT Replacement program and we chose to bred them all to Hickok. We looked at a bunch of bulls and on paper he seemed to fit the bill.

Latest posts