Hibiscus

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
I have one that all the leaves are turning yellow and falling off.
I googled it and said it could be too much water, too much sun, not enough sun, not enough water.
It's in a pot and I've moved it all over from shade to sun. I've watered it more and watered it less and no change.
But I noticed white web type stuff on the stems and I looked on the back of the leaves and it has white dots.
I googled it but didn't find anything.
Anyone have any idea of what's going on ?

Edit to add I have 2 more of a different variety that seen fine

I don't think so.
It was in a small plastic pot when I bought it a couple months ago.
I put is big pot that held a 40-50# bag of potting soil.

White stuff is probably powdery mildew.

The loss of leaves is one or more of what you've done. :D Although it just might be a combination of the heat and being in a pot. Mine are doing the same. I moved mine to morning sun and seemed to help some but they aren't thriving.

I always mix dirt in with the potting soil. Potting soil just doesn't seem to hold any moisture. Water runs through it to fast. Also I think it has so much sawdust and wood chips it's starving the plant as it all decays. My plants seem to do better when I water with a liquid fertilizer dispenser a couple times a week.

1982vett":36p9ar78 said:
White stuff is probably powdery mildew.

The loss of leaves is one or more of what you've done. :D Although it just might be a combination of the heat and being in a pot. Mine are doing the same. I moved mine to morning sun and seemed to help some but they aren't thriving.

Thats what kinda of what I've done.
They get filtered sun till about 9:00 then full sun till 2-3:00 .
I sprayed it with liquid sevin
I'll see if that helps.
Otherwise I'm done with it.
The other varieties seem fine so I'll stick with them

1982vett":ya0kz7w6 said:
You'll need a fungicide for powdery mildew but the Sevin sure won't hurt it.

I've got some fungicide I'm using on the bonsai trees, I've about killed them too.
I may have to switch over to rock and cactus gardening :D

From my own experience, application of RemedyUltra too close to a Hibiscus will ensure you will never have another problem with that plant.....................and that's all I know about Hibiscus.

greybeard":2hs566yd said:
From my own experience, application of RemedyUltra too close to a Hibiscus will ensure you will never have another problem with that plant.....................and that's all I know about Hibiscus.

:D :D
That may be my simplest option

Sounds like spider mites. To test, take a piece of notebook paper and hold it horizontally to the ground under the leaves and vigorously shake the leaves with your hand then fold the paper in two and rub the top and bottom layer together and if you see little wet spots on the paper then you have spider mites. Treat accordingly. I'd treat all your hibiscus if it is because they all probably have it.

Cross-7":3czy41qe said:
I have one that all the leaves are turning yellow and falling off.
I googled it and said it could be too much water, too much sun, not enough sun, not enough water.
It's in a pot and I've moved it all over from shade to sun. I've watered it more and watered it less and no change.
But I noticed white web type stuff on the stems and I looked on the back of the leaves and it has white dots.
I googled it but didn't find anything.
Anyone have any idea of what's going on ?

Edit to add I have 2 more of a different variety that seen fine

Spider mites. Get a magnifying glass and you can see them crawling around. I had a post about them a while back. Never did find a spray to kill them. What I ended up doing that worked the best was to submerge the entire plant in water for 15 minutes. It will drown the mites. You will have to do it a few times, a few days apart to kill the new eggs that hatch. They are a real pain.

About this time last year, I had several hibiscus (and every other plant in the yard) completely submerged for nearly 36 hrs and it didn't seem to hurt them one bit.

Latest posts