Hi tensile fence splicing.

Help Support CattleToday:

Hardnosecattleco

Reaction score
Looking for some Insight on what u all do for end post and splicing the hi tensile wire. Looking for a better way. Currently I use the crimps for splicing and ending wire but lately that has been failing alot more often

Have thought about those cause we use them in the woods for syrup and seem to work well just knew they were little pricey

Must be poor quality crimps. I have never had one fail, wire always breaks somewhere else. Also use two when you have a a lot of tension on line.

Aaron said:
Must be poor quality crimps. I have never had one fail, wire always breaks somewhere else. Also use two when you have a a lot of tension on line.

That, or adjust your crimping tool to bite more.
I prefer gripples to splice and tie knots at end post. There's aNew Zealand guy on youtube who has a good video on tying knots with HT. Will try to find it and link it for you.(the OP).

Gripples are great, but your crimps shouldn't be failing. Like was mentioned, bad crimps or tool is out of adjustment. I really like the Strainrite crimps and crimpers over the rest. There are also plenty of good and easy knots for joins and terminations. Figure 8 for a slack join, speed knot or Tex Brown under tension. HT termination knot is one of the easiest to tie, and is far superior to just wrapping it.

Farm Fence Solutions said:
Gripples are great, but your crimps shouldn't be failing. Like was mentioned, bad crimps or tool is out of adjustment. I really like the Strainrite crimps and crimpers over the rest. There are also plenty of good and easy knots for joins and terminations. Figure 8 for a slack join, speed knot or Tex Brown under tension. HT termination knot is one of the easiest to tie, and is far superior to just wrapping it.

Good to see you're still floating around here FFS! Are you peddling any continuous fence out of your shop?

I've used the "crimps" from KIWI and others but find that you need to use two or three for security.One might work on low tension like electric wire but not always. Proper crimping is essential,too.I have even left an end well past the crimp and bent it at 90 degree angle but doubt it helps much.
The Gripples look interesting.Should be easier for one person to use than crimps when splicing.

bball said:
Aaron said:

That, or adjust your crimping tool to bite more.
I prefer gripples to splice and tie knots at end post. There's aNew Zealand guy on youtube who has a good video on tying knots with HT. Will try to find it and link it for you.(the OP).

Am pretty sure I seen the same video now that u mentioned it. Appearently my tool is way out of wack because I'll put 4 crimps on and the slip right out

Hardnosecattleco said:
Am pretty sure I seen the same video now that u mentioned it. Appearently my tool is way out of wack because I'll put 4 crimps on and the slip right out

Then it is the tool. From my very limited experience, crimps are the best followed closely by gripples.

bball said:

Good to see you're still floating around here FFS! Are you peddling any continuous fence out of your shop?

I check in most days to see what's happening, just don't drink enough to compete in the local pizzing matches anymore. :lol: Yes, we have a couple of continuous fence options. How's everything north of 70?

bball said:

I check in most days to see what's happening, just don't drink enough to compete in the local pizzing matches anymore. :lol: Yes, we have a couple of continuous fence options. How's everything north of 70?

What's better wood or pipe??? Lol

callmefence said:
bball said:

Depends on if your trying to stay warm.

callmefence said:
bball said:

It really depends on the job. In rock, I'll take pipe every time. In a swamp, I'll take .60 CCA SYP every time.

Glad to hear it! Also, got to have a fair amount of free time to compete at this urinal!
PM me the info when you are able if you would please. Or we can do it via text if you prefer.
Things north of 70 are wet, wet, wet. Crops went in very late and some not at all. Some beans are yellowing up fast with the rain every 2 or 3 days. Corn still looks good, just not getting set deep yet. Hay season is rough and flys are pretty bad. The garage fridge is keeping the beers cold and i have caught a few stray cats. All in all, things are better than i probably deserve! How have you been? I figured you had sold off and moved down to Texas so you and Fence could team up and build that border wall, or at the least, rid the state of wild hogs.

callmefence said:

It really depends on the job. In rock, I'll take pipe every time. In a swamp, I'll take .60 CCA SYP every time.

Lol ...I will say your politically correct... :hat:

Latest posts