Hi tensile around corners?

Help Support CattleToday:

Rgv3180

Reaction score
Hello
So we are going to fence in 50 acres in river bottom, and will use hi tensile electric for perimeter for first time. We won't have problem with debris catching so much stuff on barb wire etc. during flood.
To date we have only used hi tensile for our grazing systems and have had all straight runs.
My question is do you terminate at each 90 brace and continue with new pull the next direction and put in a jumper, or just wrap around outside of post with insultube and keep going to next brace?

Seems like either would work but not sure.

Thx

i just go right around the corner with the tubing stuff... i buy it by the roll.

I don't run any hot wire along the river but everywhere on higher ground, that I have run hot HT barbless, I terminate at each 90° corner and jumper. Same with the HT not electrified. I've just never been comfortable pulling a long pull around a 90° turn.
(The river along my place is public access and there's just too many kids fishing on the other side of my perimeter fence for me to feel comfortable with a hot wire down there, especially, as a perimeter fence. None of my perimeter fences are hot..almost everything outside my fence is Nat Forest, meaning public access right up to my fence..last thing I need is some Harris County forest/tree lover pitching a beatch that they got a few joules while out trying to enjoy 'nature')

I've never had any trouble with debris on any fence running parallel to the river..just on fences that run perpendicular to river current flow.

I've done both and unless you have really stout corners it seems if you continue around a corner the post is more likely to pull out. But that may have just been coincidence.

Also kind of like M-5 mentioned, if you have a problem you just can't locate you can disconnect the jumper if you terminate each way.

greybeard":1xhdzzp4 said:
just too many kids fishing on the other side of my perimeter fence for me to feel comfortable with a hot wire down there............................last thing I need is some Harris County forest/tree lover pitching a beatch that they got a few joules while out trying to enjoy 'nature')

Youtube is a great place to post the video. :lol: :lol: :lol:

My gut was to terminate and jumper.
Going that route.
Going to use 4 strands. From bottom up - ground - hot - hot - ground.
Usually use 5 strand barb on perimeter, but I can't see the fifth wire making difference if fence is working. Cows pretty much respect our one line, just need more for calves.

Thanks for input

Farm Fence Solutions":16679pa7 said:

I don't have anything useful to add, but figured Greybeard would appreciate these.

just.......... benice. At least you can still see most of the gates.. I could only see the top bar on some of mine and nothing at all on others.
Backwater doesn't bother me much but the flow you can see in that second picture is a killer. When you're laying in bed and wonder what that strange noise is and realize it's water flowing UNDER your house, it's an eye opener..
Wouldn't be too bad here if my brother had been able to clean up the 24 acres he owned right north of me, but his health didn't allow it. That parcel is and always has been covered in all kinds of downed trees, limbs and other debris, which all ends up against one of my fences. I had just gotten the last of it from last Sept's big flood piled and burned when another high water event 2 weeks ago covered it again.
icon_banghead.gif

If you terminate at the corner, your braces are opposing the fence tension and doing their job. If you wrap around the corner, you'll have force pulling the corner post in diagonally. You have to change your braces or terminate for best results.

M.Magis":2354thrz said:
If you terminate at the corner, your braces are opposing the fence tension and doing their job. If you wrap around the corner, you'll have force pulling the corner post in diagonally. You have to change your braces or terminate for best results.

It does seem that way when looking at it geometrically tho most people tend to say there's a negligible difference. I have seen some corners made in an inverted Y tho..sort of a peace symbol looking thing...

Latest posts