Hi mag mineral

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
We've had some rain, temperatures have perfect and the grass had really come on
Mostly ryegrass, revue and other cool season grasses.
Being new to the area I don't know if I need a hi mag mineral.
I asked the local feed store guy and he said some do some don't and some don't use any mineral

I have loose mineral out and don't really want to scoop it out and replace its not necessary.

They're on native pasture with a variety of grasses, not a pure lush stand of ryegrass or wheat.
They still nibble a little on hay, but not much.

this new 'regular' mineral (chelated) has 4 times the amount of mg as "hi-mag" mineral bags.

i was kinda like.. huh. when I was checking the labels.

ddd75":33to21s7 said:
this new 'regular' mineral (chelated) has 4 times the amount of mg as "hi-mag" mineral bags.

Good to know
I'll check labels
Thanks

callmefence":3heq4y0h said:
Variety of grass and some hay you should be good. Any grass booting or making seed even better. Any clover, even better.

That's about what I was thinking
I don't have any clover and undecided on whether to try it due to bloat problems

ddd75":3ceosce5 said:

What mineral are you talkin about?

One concern is they are gorging themselves and the grass in really taking off

I think it's necessary/cheap insurance. Mine will only eat Kandy mag. Won't touch any other brand. Only one place here has it.

Bigfoot":1myhk1b0 said:
I think it's necessary/cheap insurance. Mine will only eat Kandy mag. Won't touch any other brand. Only one place here has it.

At least I'll quit thinking about it :D
Where I come from it never got this green

We keep hi mag out year round. As another mentioned - cheap insurance.

Yep, we also use it year round now and see it as cheap insurance also. We have some pastures that are rented that are not the best ground, so we figure they are getting better utilization with the hi-mag mineral.

Is your soil deficient in magnesium? If not, are you not concerned with mag toxicity in your cattle?

Eugene66":1qig7uk1 said:
Is your soil deficient in magnesium? If not, are you not concerned with mag toxicity in your cattle?

I'm concerned with grass tetany

We do have grass tetany problems here. The main guy for co op mineral told me stay on a good mineral year round and forget about hi mag. They push hi mag at the stores and it's 5 bucks cheaper a bag, but if you look at consumption they eat twice as much, so I'm thinking thats a big reason to push it.

The loose mineral and the vita-ferm concept aid tub with chealated mineral neither have magnesium listed but both have manganese

Cross-7":33y7wm7x said:
The loose mineral and the vita-ferm concept aid tub with chealated mineral neither have magnesium listed but both have manganese
To my knowledge there is no magnesium in chelated form for utilization in cattle feeds/minerals.

Latest posts