hi mag cattle mineral...will it hurt horses?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
Time to put out hi mag loose mineral here, but I'm looking after a horse that's in with some of my cows. Will it hurt the horse?
(I haven't bought the mineral yet so I can't tell you what ingredients or what % each is right now)
Suggestions?

IMHO, the horse will be fine. Urea or rumensin, would be a deal breaker.

My mineral formulated for horses has no magnesium. I have often made a mental note of that.

I have a high mag mineral only (urea, rumensin or any) and on the label it gives a horse doseage, hope it is OK, Pam is giving it to her beloved steed.

Ken

Off topic a bit but a quick question. Is there a sensible way to add Magnesium to your existing mineral? I buy my mineral by the ton but only want the hi mag for just a few weeks a year.

Adding Epsom salts to it would add Magnesium and would be palatable, but it's a bit bitter, and if you're looking to up it to 10% Mg, it might take a fair bit.. On the bright side, it wouldn't take meticulous mixing since it's a macromineral, and it's probably what's in the high-mag anyhow.. Epsom salts are readily available in 50 lb bags from chemical suppliers too..

Yes, I am sure it is MgSo4 (epsom salt) that is used in the high mag minerals. Where I am the manufactures use copra meal with it as the sweetener. They like repeat sales so are quick to respond to make product more palatable if there is an issue when it is not being consumed.

Ken

wbvs58":2upple38 said:
Yes, I am sure it is MgSo4 (epsom salt) that is used in the high mag minerals. Where I am the manufactures use copra meal with it as the sweetener. They like repeat sales so are quick to respond to make product more palatable if there is an issue when it is not being consumed.

Ken
Don't know about down under Ken but here most companies use Mag-Ox as the magnesium source.

TexasBred":2we0ulhg said:
wbvs58":2we0ulhg said:

Ken
Don't know about down under Ken but here most companies use Mag-Ox as the magnesium source.
Probably the case here too TB now that you mention it, I did not look at the label but I know it needs something to sweeten it up a bit and my immediate thought was a horrible taste from epsom salts.

Ken

greybeard":2ea6ckjm said:
Are you talking about magnesium oxide?
surely not.......by itself, it's not very soluble.
But it contains 55-60% magnesium compared to barely 20% for mag. sulfate. Neither taste very good so need something added to give it some palatability.

bird dog":6a32n2xs said:
Off topic a bit but a quick question. Is there a sensible way to add Magnesium to your existing mineral? I buy my mineral by the ton but only want the hi mag for just a few weeks a year.
Switch to a Hi Mag non medicated cattle mineral. Won't hurt a thing.

Latest posts