Hi from a new ranch owner in Central tx

Help Support CattleToday:

Go to your ag extension office and ask about the applicator license
The applicator license looks like a big hassle to me but I've been able to avoid it so far by using non-restricted herbicides like Sendero for mesquite control, a tank mix of MSM 60 and Triclopyr for weeds.

The applicator license looks like a big hassle to me but I've been able to avoid it so far by using non-restricted herbicides like Sendero for mesquite control, a tank mix of MSM 60 and Triclopyr for weeds.
It is a hassle, you have to get 15 CEU's to get it and then to keep it year after year you have to take X number of classes each year.

For those of you that are close to Oklahoma they sell 2-4,D herbicides without needing a license, just don't get caught using them in Texas without the license...key words are "don't get caught"!

The Private Applicator permit was a racket here in Arkansas when it first came out. When I got mine in 2016, we sat through a one hour "class". No test required, which is fine with me.
When the class was over, we could choose between a 1, 3, or 5 year permit, $10, $35, and $65 respectively. Yes, they had us paying extra to avoid class every year. I paid for the 5 year.

I'm not sure about the applicator permit, don't think I'll be ready to do that for a while but good to know it's a thing here in tejas. I think my main next step remains a container for storage, a mower and secure the perimeter fence. Then get some youngsters in, experiment with grazing and see how the rest of the year pans out. Next 6 months is a tractor, mower, rake and baler. More weaners and maybe a pay check.

Biggest problem I have right now is getting internet access in rural Hamilton County, Tx. And a container that doesn't cost 6 grand! May follow advice from @wbvs58 and go for a 20', they're less than half the price if my eyes are not deceiving me...

Hamilton is a nice town we always enjoy stopping there on our way home from trips down south. Have you ate at the roping arena yet? I heard the food was great.

I'm not sure about the applicator permit, don't think I'll be ready to do that for a while but good to know it's a thing here in tejas. I think my main next step remains a container for storage, a mower and secure the perimeter fence. Then get some youngsters in, experiment with grazing and see how the rest of the year pans out. Next 6 months is a tractor, mower, rake and baler. More weaners and maybe a pay check.

Biggest problem I have right now is getting internet access in rural Hamilton County, Tx. And a container that doesn't cost 6 grand! May follow advice from @wbvs58 and go for a 20', they're less than half the price if my eyes are not deceiving me...
The other good thing about the 20'ers is they are easy to get delivered, most tilt trays can handle them.

Ken

Hamilton is a nice town we always enjoy stopping there on our way home from trips down south. Have you ate at the roping arena yet? I heard the food was great.
By roping arena, you mean Circle T? It's a pretty neat facility, we've raced out there a few times. Restaurant is pretty good but I'm not super picky... meat was tasty, veggies were good, beer was cold. 😁

There are plenty of good herbicides around now that don't require a license but getting the license will sure help when the USDA comes knocking on your door when your spray drifts downwind and kills some of your neighbors cotton crop. My California neighbor freaked out when I sprayed my adjoining pasture. He thought it would effect his all natural beef production. I politely let him know that I was a licensed applicator and following all the rules and regulations.

I much prefer the herbicdes that require a license. They are much cheaper and seem to work better. I will agree if you just have a few acres its not worth the hassle but if you are spraying a few hundred acres, its well worth the effort.

For those of you that are close to Oklahoma they sell 2-4,D herbicides without needing a license, just don't get caught using them in Texas without the license...key words are "don't get caught"!
Internet let me buy the 2-4,D. Trading it out with person who has a license and sprayer.

I have a ranch to the west of Hamilton co. It's in Coleman co. Lots of grass this year and the hunting isn't bad.
We have deer,turkey and quail.
We haven't seen any hogs or any sign. Hopefully it stays that way.

Got my ag number figured out (thanks for recommendation @Shoestring) and picked up a 20' container which will get me through for now. @wbvs58, going to follow your container advice and keep em small. I'm looking hard for a tractor and mower/shredder, might run up to Dallas and look at one this week.

@tex452, grass is growing like crazy this year - driving south down 281 I'm seeing fields that have just been baled and it's August! Take it while we can right?

My next step is to get some cattle in. I'd love to go bonsmara, love em to bits but is there any point in central texas? Angus are always a pleasure to work with, tons of other options but here's the question - what's easiest to come by out here, say if I wanted to go by 10 weaners to grow out?

If anyone is open to it I'd appreciate any advice you've got here, phone or buy you a cup of coffee / beer and a live convo.

Latest posts