Hi from a new ranch owner in Central tx

Help Support CattleToday:

TdJ

Reaction score
Just purchased a small ranch in Hamilton county, looking forward to figuring out how things work out here. Grew up on a dairy farm on a different continent, know enough not to do that again. The ranch is a somewhat distressed, a little overgrown but it'll clean up nicely. Other than an old house we're really starting from scratch.

And that's why I'm here. It's been great watching folks support each other on this forum, been going through old threads and learnt a ton.

One of the first few things I need is a 40' container, ride on mower, tractor/mower, stock trailer.
- I've found container sales in Waco and surrounds - they're $4.5k for an old one? Is that just what it is?
- I'll probably head to the implement locations within 100miles to figure out mower/tractor/trailer. If you have any better suggestions I'm all ears.

The goal is to invest precisely the right amount before adding animals. This is a silly rain year, might as well take advantage of it I'm thinking.

Welcome! It's good the way you are trying to Have your infrastructure and equipment in place before adding animals. There's lots of folks here from Tx, so they should be able to give you some good advice on places and folks you can check with for what you are needing. A big thing for me with equipment is having a brand with a good dealer fairly close by for when you need parts or service.

Welcome! It's good the way you are trying to Have your infrastructure and equipment in place before adding animals. There's lots of folks here from Tx, so they should be able to give you some good advice on places and folks you can check with for what you are needing. A big thing for me with equipment is having a brand with a good dealer fairly close by for when you need parts or service.
Thanks. Good call on proximity to brand, will try to do majority of repair myself which means I need a tractor and mower from the 1970's!

Welcome Td, how big is your place? What numbers are you planning on carrying?

Ken

Ken
Thanks. It's around 130acres, going to start small and let a few cows tell me what's edible and what needs to be disked in. Lots to learn about local grasses. Got a thistle problem in a few areas, one pasture overgrown with mesquite.

1) sign up on line for a Texas timber/ag. #. Save tax $ on FARM items. Container, wire, 4 wheeler, etc. Tposts. Etc. # doesn't work for 2 wheel motorcycles. 😥 , JUST farm items. Check with your tax person. I needed a container. I had a price in mind. Wasnt $4,200. Called a place on the 20th of the month. and said that I wanted a 40', clean, 1 trip container. Here is how much I have to spend. I got a call on the 28th, they found a nice painted container. It was 2 yrs. ago, so personal experiences and region may vary. Oh, And, dont put the container or corral right by the road. Neighbor had a corral 100' from the road. HAD. 2) get to know your neighbors. They have been there, done that. Neighbors can come in handy. 3) I am not an accountant, tax person, or investment person. I can buy high, sell low! Good luck.

1) sign up on line for a Texas timber/ag. #. Save tax $ on FARM items. Container, wire, 4 wheeler, etc. Tposts. Etc. # doesn't work for 2 wheel motorcycles. 😥 , JUST farm items. Check with your tax person. I needed a container. I had a price in mind. Wasnt $4,200. Called a place on the 20th of the month. and said that I wanted a 40', clean, 1 trip container. Here is how much I have to spend. I got a call on the 28th, they found a nice painted container. It was 2 yrs. ago, so personal experiences and region may vary. Oh, And, dont put the container or corral right by the road. Neighbor had a corral 100' from the road. HAD. 2) get to know your neighbors. They have been there, done that. Neighbors can come in handy. 3) I am not an accountant, tax person, or investment person. I can buy high, sell low! Good luck.
That's awesome advice, appreciate the insight and love the advice on how far to stay away from the road 😂. Sounds like we have the lack of accountancy and investment skills in common! I'll take my time on the 40', no damn way I feel good spending what I've been told today was a good price - $5700. Yes, and that was the discounted price. Getting an ag # is advice I've heard before and will take gladly, will comply. Thank you Shoestring, legend.

I've found container sales in Waco and surrounds - they're $4.5k for an old one? Is that just what it is?
That sounds like price of a new one. But maybe the price of steel has gone up that much since I looked at them 10 years ago when a 40' one was $1500.
Do you weld?
Buy 2 for $600 each, stack 'em back together and get after it.

To add to what Shoestring said:
Get your Texas pesticide applicator's license.
Be aware that many counties in Texas tax those containers as structures and as property improvements.
Apply for the property tax exemption on Jan 1st. 1D1 open space is what you want.
Don't forget homestead exemption if this is your primary residence.

Welcome to CT.

Last edited:

Latest posts