Hi :D

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm new to keeping cattle and just found this site! I currently have a 3 month old mini Hereford heifer calf among other animals. I've never raised cattle before, so I just surf through articles and forums for advice.
You came to the right place. Is your calf a pet or destined for the freezer? Will it be joined by others?

You came to the right place. Is your calf a pet or destined for the freezer? Will it be joined by others?
Her name is Clementine and she's a bit of both! If I can I may milk her when she's mature. I'm not sure how well mini cows do for dairy production. I definitely want to get some more cattle, but right now I don't have the space or budget for more. I'm planning to get a miniature bull for her, and from there keep regular-sized cattle.

Attachments

• 1CA2B106-8854-46AC-A4B3-EC870B89CAE3.jpeg
    1CA2B106-8854-46AC-A4B3-EC870B89CAE3.jpeg
    414.1 KB · Views: 5
Her name is Clementine and she's a bit of both! If I can I may milk her when she's mature. I'm not sure how well mini cows do for dairy production. I definitely want to get some more cattle, but right now I don't have the space or budget for more. I'm planning to get a miniature bull for her, and from there keep regular-sized cattle.
Assuming you are open to some advice...

Why a bull for ONE cow? Most people here that are in-the-know, I believe, would never advise a newbie to keep a bull or a stallion or an intact boar. You know about artificial insemination? One of the reasons people love artificial insemination is because they don't have to deal with a bull.

If you think your pet needs a companion, get another heifer or a steer.

As to milking? As long as you can squat low enough to reach the nozzles... lol

Assuming you are open to some advice...

Why a bull for ONE cow? Most people here that are in-the-know, I believe, would never advise a newbie to keep a bull or a stallion or an intact boar. You know about artificial insemination? One of the reasons people love artificial insemination is because they don't have to deal with a bull.

If you think your pet needs a companion, get another heifer or a steer.

As to milking? As long as you can squat low enough to reach the nozzles... lol
That was my plan actually! I wanted to get her AI'd but my mom wants to buy a bull. I would prefer not to. And yeah, I've kept intact boars and they are a handful lol.

That was my plan actually! I wanted to get her AI'd but my mom wants to buy a bull. I would prefer not to. And yeah, I've kept intact boars and they are a handful lol.
Bad idea, Mom... bad idea. It's typical newbie thinking. Impulse control is important until you learn the ropes. But learning the hard way is also a great way to learn as long as no one gets hurt. Too many people think bulls are good pets... until they aren't.

The problem is that bulls can fool you. People get comfortable and confident... and many people never get surprised and continue to think bulls can be safe. Those that understand a bull is not safe regardless of appearance or past experience are less likely to be hurt.

Last edited:
Welcome. I agree that trying to keep a bull with only one or two cows is a recipe for disaster.

Also, you can certainly try milking your miniature Hereford, but since it's a beef breed it's unlikely to have enough milk for it to be worthwhile, assuming you're going to let her raise the calf too.

Welcome! If I may ask, how much land do you have for Clementine?
i think we have about 33 acres, im not sure how much is open vs forest but I know we have two good sized fields for her that just need refencing or fencing repairs. we have another two fields equal or better size we're planning to fence and a small field next to the house. im not sure how many acres as i dont know how to tell lol

Welcome. I agree that trying to keep a bull with only one or two cows is a recipe for disaster.

Also, you can certainly try milking your miniature Hereford, but since it's a beef breed it's unlikely to have enough milk for it to be worthwhile, assuming you're going to let her raise the calf too.
that's what i thought. im probably going to let her raise the calf unless i decide to sell it, so i'll see how it goes.

i think we have about 33 acres, im not sure how much is open vs forest but I know we have two good sized fields for her that just need refencing or fencing repairs. we have another two fields equal or better size we're planning to fence and a small field next to the house. im not sure how many acres as i dont know how to tell lol
I'll ask some questions for you to consider. So things to start with are finding out how much you have in usable land for pasture. Timberland can provide protection from the elements but not a lot of grass. It's easy to run too many cattle on your property. Your agricultural extention office should be able to advise you on how many you can run per acre. It varies by location. Make sure you have a good type of grass on your fields if this is where she will graze. She'll only be as healthy as the grass she grazes. Besides vaccinations and water, that is.
You mentioned your fences may need repair. You may want to get that done before getting any more cattle, especially a bull. Check you local laws about livestock liability if Clementine escapes. In north Louisiana, the owner is responsible for injuries caused by loose cattle. Have you decided on a hay source for the winter? Good to know a good hay producer. Prices vary with the type of grass and the avaliablity. Is your area experiencing a drought at present? Do you have a reliable water source? These are just some things to consider. I know you want the best for her. BTW, she is a fine looking heifer. I'm assuming she is not a cow yet. Good luck!

I'm new to keeping cattle and just found this site! I currently have a 3 month old mini Hereford heifer calf among other animals. I've never raised cattle before, so I just surf through articles and forums for advice.

Welcome! I'm intrigued that you have a miniature Hereford, because my sister would get a miniature Jersey, but they are so expensive and there's a huge waiting list. I'm curious if that's the same for miniature beef breeds like Hereford as well. How did you acquire your cute little heifer? We purchase a lot of raw milk every week, so she wanted to milk her own cow, but thought a full-sized Jersey my be a bit much for us!😅

As the others mentioned I would strongly suggest AI. Having been very inexperienced myself with cattle birthing when I started breeding, it was very assuring to know that a bull that is being collected for semen is going to most likely be a high-quality bull with low birth weights, etc. I've had awesome results from AI'ed heifers. They dropped their first calf easily. 😀
It will be interesting to follow Clementine's story! :)

I would also advise against getting a bull. Even though mini bulls tend to be more mellow than full sized ones, they can still kill you. You also have to think about where you will keep him for the 3-4 months you don't want him with Clementine.
He will need to be taken away from her before she calves as a bull can get very excited over the birthing smell and injure or kill the new calf. He will need to remain in his own area away from her for about 2-3 months after calving so she does not get rebred too soon. Also, a bull with only one cow will not be content and will be on the lookout for more cows, so he will always be looking to break down your fences.

Welcome! I'm intrigued that you have a miniature Hereford, because my sister would get a miniature Jersey, but they are so expensive and there's a huge waiting list. I'm curious if that's the same for miniature beef breeds like Hereford as well. How did you acquire your cute little heifer? We purchase a lot of raw milk every week, so she wanted to milk her own cow, but thought a full-sized Jersey my be a bit much for us!😅

As the others mentioned I would strongly suggest AI. Having been very inexperienced myself with cattle birthing when I started breeding, it was very assuring to know that a bull that is being collected for semen is going to most likely be a high-quality bull with low birth weights, etc. I've had awesome results from AI'ed heifers. They dropped their first calf easily. 😀
It will be interesting to follow Clementine's story! :)

It would probably be fine. As far as I know Jersey cows are the gentlest of all of them. Jersey bulls, on the other hand, are not.

Latest posts