Hey Knersie

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
You've been holding out on us on the Recipe Board. :D :D :D
There was a story in our local paper about a couple from South Africa and the foods they are used to and cook. Like fish bobotie, yellow rice, and tomato-onion sambal were the ones listed.
Come on and share your favorite recipes.

OK, I'll post some recipes. The dishes you've mentioned are all native to my part of the country and comes from the strong Malay influence.

Our food isn't all that different from English food except it isn't as bland and tasteless.

andybob":xikp89tf said:
I am presently selling more boerewors to Brits than to expat Rhodies and South Africans, they are also learning to eat biltong, it is a major seller in the farm shop!

Andy I believe you're onto something, I've never met anyone that tried good boerewors and not like it. The problem being that those sold in the SA shops in the UK are so bad I didn't even recognise it as boerewors. Harrods sold some that was at least edible, but so expensive that no-one would ever buy it.

I have a great recipe for boerewors (have made it commercially in the past), but I doubt you'll be able to get the Freddy Hirsch range of spices there. if you can get hold of it let me know and I'll send you the recipe to try.

Knersie, I make up my mixes from scratch, roasting the corriander etc, in the kitchen, using some old family recipies, I have had 100% of customers returning so the quality seems good enough, Freddy Hirsch spices and mixes are available through a locally based importer, so I would be gratefull for another good recipe thank you, I am making batches of 60 kg at present, so the mixing is getting difficult in a kitchen :help:

Hillsdown, Boerewors is the traditional South African beef sausage, with pork fat added, the flavour is a blend of corriander, cloves and black pepper with recipes often including other spices such as nutmeg, depending on preferred taste, Boerewors is unbeatable on the Braai (BBQ).
Biltong is meat cut into strips along the grain,usually beef or venison, which has been cured in a salt and spice mixture, then air dried, it is similar to jerky but has a distinctive taste which most people find addictive! It used to be used as supplies by hunters, migratory herdsmen of Dutch/French origin (trekboers) and pioneers trekking into the South African interior, we used it as supplies in the army being lighter than the bulky army ration packs.

Thanks Andybob sounds delicious. As soon as hubby gets home I will ask him about it as I am sure he is very familiar with both,,may even have a recipe or two of his moms..

I was just informed that I have had homemade Boerewors the last time I was in the Netherlands but in English they referred to it as farmers sausage..

hillsdown":1yaxi847 said:
I was just informed that I have had homemade Boerewors the last time I was in the Netherlands but in English they referred to it as farmers sausage..

Not the same thing although the name would indicate it if you translate directly.