Hey Caustic,meet Zelda...

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":1nlvctox said:
The thing to bear in mind is that Brahman is a composite of zebu breeds. So all Brhamns are zebu but not all zebu are Brahman

dun
Thanks Dun that make since

Bullbuyer":39ms7up9 said:
Caustic Burno":39ms7up9 said:
Gate Opener":39ms7up9 said:
Caustic Burno":39ms7up9 said:
Joy that looks like a money maker for the next twenty years.

What would be the best types of bull to put on her to make the most $$?

Hereford/Angus/Char cross calf's will all ring the bell at the salebarn.

Just for my own knowledge - where do those crosses sell well? Never seen anything with a lot of ear do very well - east coast, even into Florida their prices are a little weak.

Thought someone would have answered this by now. Been waiting. If I am buying any cows right now, they are going to have to have lots of ear.

BB it is the climate. My cows will probably endure 40 days of 100 plus heat this summer. Cows with ear will continue producing milk as if nothing happened. The calves will continue gaining and remain healthy. Other breeds will hang out in the shade. If the heat hits when grass protein is still high, other breeds will forage a little at night and pant during the day. If the protein value is less than 8 percent, they will fare better in the heat, but of course, they won't gain as well.

Right now I am re-building. I am attempting to attain cows with a long ear. I will get some good heifers but I will also attain steers and take a hit at the sale barn on the ear. But they will be heavier and healthier which makes up for the hit you take - a little. Once I get the cows I want, I will switch bulls and get calves with shorter ears. At that point, I will be at the "ring the bell" description Caustic conveyed. Short eared calves nursing momma's with lots of milk means lots out weight.

I can retain the shorter eared heifers and make fall calvers out of them (in this climate) and forage them on winter wheat, rye etc. They will continue milk production just fine in the moderate winter here. Or I can sell them right along with the steers.

Yes, Brahmans come in red and gray. They are usually different bloodlines, although they get crossed quite a bit too.

Generally the grays are more moderate framed and meatier, but it depends on the animal itself of course.

I always thought the grays were bigger than the reds. Although I have seen bigger red ones. Zelda is a med frame cow. I kind of worry about being bred to a char.,but this is her second calf.

Joy in Texas":2w0lg35o said:
I always thought the grays were bigger than the reds. Although I have seen bigger red ones. Zelda is a med frame cow. I kind of worry about being bred to a char.,but this is her second calf.
depends on what grey ones your talk'in bout. the american reds are pretty much the same phenotype as the grey other than the color. both have shorter ears. your cow is pretty much a indu influanced cow. i wouldnt worry about her being bred to a char bull even if she were a heifer

Latest posts