Hey Caustic B., you better hurry on over

Help Support CattleToday:

That calf must have had a heck of a momma. It don't look that bad. Unfortunatley that bull is a basic representation of half the bulls gracing pastures in my area. Especially my neighbors.......that bull looks masculine in comparison to my neighbors.

Arnold Ziffle":3ovjrfr8 said:
Have a look at this real fine Angus "bull" at a giveaway price. And just think of all those CAB premiums you'll get on your crossbred calves. :D

http://houston.craigslist.org/grd/1298998822.html

On second thought, maybe you should take your .44 over to his place and put that poor beast out of his misery -- that would be your good deed for the week. :)

Another of those wild and crazy Angus, I see. :D $1750. He must think pretty highly of this bull to ask that much for a six year old bull. Wonder if he'll get it?

Don't worry about CAB premiums, just using a registered Angus bull can help your bottom line. From CattleToday:

A COMPETITIVE EDGE: FOR FLORIDA'S STEVE HINES, ANGUSSOURCE ADDS VALUE AND BUILDS BUYER DEMAND

by: Eric Grant

For Steve Hines, who runs about 800 head of commercial and registered Angus cattle near High Springs, Fla., the advantages of AngusSource are clear.

When he first enrolled in the program three years ago, he wasn't sure it would make that big of a difference when it came to building demand for his calves.

But a year ago, when a repeat buyer snatched up three potloads of his calves at a $3/cwt. premium over the market, Hines knew his efforts to improve his commercial marketing practices were paying off.

"AngusSource is really one of the least-expensive ways that you can add value to your cattle," he says. "It makes your calves worth more money, and the buyers appreciate the fact that they know the age, source and genetics of the cattle."

AngusSource, which is an industry-leading USDA Process Verified Program (PVP), enables producers to document and verify the age, source and genetics of their calves for buyers. This in turn, opens up opportunities for premium prices and increased demand for their calves.

Cattle enrolled in the program are identified with the official AngusSource eartag and verification certificate, and their verification remains intact throughout the animal's lifetime and through all marketing and production channels.

The program's eligibility requirements are relatively simple, says Sara Snider, director of the program:

"Cattle must be sired by a registered Angus bull. Calves must be enrolled by the ranch of origin, and at minimum, must have a record verifying the birth date of the oldest calf within the enrollment group."

An industry perspective

For John Butler, chief executive officer for Beef Marketing Group, a cooperative of 15 feeding operations, the benefits of AngusSource are too many to count.

First and foremost, the program allows him and others in his cooperative to accomplish their primary goal: to focus on developing value-added beef programs driven by consumer demand.

"As a procurer of feeder cattle as well as someone who offers competitive, retained ownership programs, AngusSource cattle come to us with a promise," says Butler. "The AngusSource promise is that the cattle are of known genetics and they have the additional benefit of being age and source verified. AngusSource has become a trusted, credible PVP that fits well with the branded beef programs that we are involved with.

"The great thing about AngusSource is that it allows virtually any commercial producer to produce cattle that can be eligible for branded beef programs like Certified Angus Beef (CAB)," Butler adds. "And when those opportunities are open, I think there are pretty significant benefits in terms of real premium dollars for now having cattle that can be eligible for meeting the specifications of these programs.

When it comes to qualifying for CAB, for instance, at participating plants AngusSource also allows cattle that are not 51% black hided to be eligible for Certified Angus Beef and Certified Angus Beef Natural, because the producer can verify that the cattle were sired by registered Angus bulls.

"Being able to verify the sire's genetics adds confidence among buyers that the seller is truly focusing on breed specificity and quality," Butler adds. "And participating in this program also helps producers because many of them have received carcass data and other information on their cattle after they're sold."

Perhaps the greatest value of PVP programs like AngusSource is that they provide a direct information link between all sectors of the cattle industry.

Harris Ranch, which is a leading U.S. beef producer, packer and exporter of U.S. beef to Japan, depends heavily on age- and source-verified cattle.

"The one issue that dominated the attention of the U.S. beef industry in recent years was export market accessibility," says Harris Ranch's Mike Smith. "When we lost many of our beef export markets several years ago, it's estimated the U.S. beef industry was losing $3.5 billion per year, or roughly $150 for every fed steer and heifer marketed each year."

A key component to recapturing, securing and expanding export markets, says Smith, is producer participation in programs like AngusSource.

Japan in particular requires all beef imported into its country to be processed by USDA-certified plants and procured from suppliers who are PVP or USDA Quality System Assessment (QSA) certified, says Smith.

"Without question, the most restrictive export requirements imposed on us are from Japan," he explains. "Not only are detailed and descriptive processing procedures and record-keeping required by Japan and other countries, but all beef and beef products marketed there must be obtained from cattle determined to be 20 months of age or younger at harvest."

One of the key advantages to AngusSource is that cattle enrolled in the program can be accepted into most feedlot's pre-existing PVP or USDA Quality Assessment (QSA) programs.

"For farmer-feeders who market directly to packers, AngusSource offers a Feedyard Umbrella Program for ranch-enrolled calves," says Snider.

For all of these reasons, most of the nation's packing companies now recognize the value of having a reliable source of AngusSource cattle so that they can not only position themselves within the U.S. market, but also capture international opportunities as well.

"We're currently getting anywhere from $25 to $30/head premiums for age-verified cattle right now," says Ron Rowan, director of Beef Northwest's risk management and alliance-development programs. "That means producers who enroll in this program have an opportunity to capture premiums."

To help producers market their AngusSource cattle, American Angus Association's commercial programs department is working with livestock markets across the country to organize and promote special AngusSource sales.

"These sales, held in conjunction with the livestock markets' regularly scheduled value-added calf sales, allow producers the opportunity to work with others to market large numbers of AngusSource calves to potential buyers. That not only builds awareness of the program, but also demand for the cattle," says Snider.

For Hines, perhaps the greatest benefits of AngusSource are that the program provides him with a powerful way not only to connect with buyers of his cattle, but also to add value to the overall production of his ranch.

"It's worked well for us," he says. "It's added value to our calves, and captured the attention of people who want these kinds of cattle. I've been happy with the results we've seen."

For more information about AngusSource, please visit www.angussource.com. For more information on USDA Process Verified Programs, please visit http://processverified.usda.gov

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

Never miss an opportunity. Do ya Frankie?

Gelbvieh 5":2pg1kwgu said:
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

Never miss an opportunity. Do ya Frankie?

Nope. Always looking for an opportunity. If you don't like that one, here's another:

Angus Makes McD's Look Classy

By Dan Mitchell
Posted Thursday, July 2, 2009 - 2:17pm
Value meals have helped catapult McDonald's (MCD) to megasuccess during this recession, but the company is not content to draw only price-conscious consumers. It wants hungry young men just as badly as Burger King, Taco Bell, and all its other competitors do.

That's why McDonald's invested so heavily in its new Angus burger, which debuts nationwide today. Priced at about $4 and weighing at one-third of a pound (pre-cooked), the burgers are being advertised as "premium" and thus, just like the McCafe, are meant in part to convey the message that McDonald's isn't just a place for broke people to scarf cheap eats.

That, in fact, is the last thing McDonald's wants people to think. Throughout the recession, the company's executives have been baldly lying about the reasons for its burgeoning revenues. And you can't blame them. After all, the recession will end, and when it does, the fast-food purveyors that are offering higher-priced, higher-quality fare will be well positioned to take advantage of the resulting higher margins.

And in the meantime, of course, everyone knows that you can also go to McDonald's to scarf cheap eats.

It's win-win, though not without some risk. The Angus was conceived about two years ago when times were good. According to Bloomberg News, franchisees asked the company for something to help them compete with local burger joints and regional chains that offered higher-quality fare.

But the Angus meant that stores needed some new equipment, at a time when franchisees were already spending big to install McCafes. Then the recession hit.

Further, there is the risk that the Angus will eat into sales of Big Macs and Quarter Pounders, the mainstays of McDonald's offerings to hungry young men with money.

"The Angus is going to upsell someone who would have bought a Big Mac or Quarter Pounder," food consultant Darren Tristano told Bloomberg. "It's less likely to attract new customers than cannibalize existing ones."

Maybe. But it sounds like the Angus burgers, being made from higher-quality beef than the rest of McDonald's burgers, will be far tastier, and, if they're good enough, may well pull customers from other burger shops. The burgers also offer toppings not available on its other burgers: rings of red onions, sautéed mushrooms, full bacon slices and Swiss cheese, all served on a high-quality roll.

And McDonald's says its trials in several U.S. cities showed that such cannibalization didn't occur. And even if it does occur in the national rollout, the margins are higher for the Angus burger, so McDonald's still wins.

Dan Mitchell has written for The New York Times, Chicago Tribune, Minneapolis Star-Tribune, and Wired.

It's amazing what you can sell on Craigslist.. :lol2: How that bull has managed to survive as breeding stock for 6 years is amazing, I guess it is a pet, but why sell it now? Why not just castrate him and let the kids continue to ride him around? ;-)

hillsdown":1iv067nz said:
It's amazing what you can sell on Craigslist.. :lol2: How that bull has managed to survive as breeding stock for 6 years is amazing, I guess it is a pet, but why sell it now? Why not just castrate him and let the kids continue to ride him around? ;-)

Because if they did that he might grow a BUTT, and then they wouldn't be able to call him an Angus anymore.

He certainly is a fine representative of the breed.

But what the hey. they are a big hit at Mcdonalds. Who can argue with that, them being the conneseurs of fine beef that they are.

It is true Frankie never miss a chance to premote her BLACK ANGUS, It beats the hell ou of thouse of you that never misses a chance to bang on them....I know this , the Gelvies sure profited from the Bl Angus, who but a handful would have them. But breed them to a Bl.Angus and the Balancers are use by 10 fold... I bet this, take that big bellied, no but Bull and put him on 25 hereford cows and I bet the calves would look prettty good....

alftn":3saukjty said:
It is true Frankie never miss a chance to premote her BLACK ANGUS, It beats the be nice ou of thouse of you that never misses a chance to bang on them....I know this , the Gelvies sure profited from the Bl Angus, who but a handful would have them. But breed them to a Bl.Angus and the Balancers are use by 10 fold... I bet this, take that big bellied, no but Bull and put him on 25 hereford cows and I bet the calves would look prettty good....

Gelvies......How many years did you spend in the 3 grade. I know I can't spell conesewer but you make me look like some kinda knowledger.

Oh, and did I forget your syntax and grammer are also top shelf.

For the record I am still waiting for an opportunity to BANG on one of Frankies BLACK angus, but I have yet to see a picture of one posted here for review I guess I will just have to keep waiting.

BTW they better be real good herefords to overcome that sorry sunofagun's genetics.

You can insult my spelling and maybe you are real smart, but Black Angus have improved more cattle than your gelhvieh...In fact your breed is turning black, get that mr smart a$$

alftn":9xnih04e said:
I bet this, take that big bellied, no but Bull and put him on 25 hereford cows and I bet the calves would look prettty good....

I LOVE black baldies; but in this case I think you would be wrong!

Okay time for some smart, common sense thinking, nobody has mention..... and I'm really shocked and disappointed about this, and yes a little pi$$ED :mad: . What kind of dumb a$$ would put his 4, 5 or 6 year old kid on the back of a bull to show how gentle it is?

Get smart or get out,
Alan

Alan":312agjxj said:
Okay time for some smart, common sense thinking, nobody has mention..... and I'm really shocked and disappointed about this, and yes a little pi$$ED :mad: . What kind of dumb a$$ would put his 4, 5 or 6 year old kid on the back of a bull to show how gentle it is?

Get smart or get out,
Alan
That is the best comment I have seen in this thread.

alftn":1tkv9yue said:
You can insult my spelling and maybe you are real smart, but Black Angus have improved more cattle than your gelhvieh...In fact your breed is turning black, get that mr smart a$$

I apologize. I wasn't trying to insult you at all. More, just messin with you since I don't always spell that well either.

I agree there are a LOT of blk Gelbvieh's out there now. I personally don't think they are better. Just Black. I actually prefer them crossed with RA for Red balancers.

BTW you don't need to stick up for Frankie, she is more than capable of gutting me herself, and she will.
Just as soon as she finishes the delicious BLACK Angus burger, and gets back to the computer.

Alan":ar3k18et said:

Get smart or get out,
Alan

I agree. They should be arrested for reckless endangerment.

It looked Angus/Jersey to me. The extreme lack of a butt and the bony hips coupled with a pot belly, and the long tail switch???

And yes, I agree about using their kid as a prop. Very irresponsible.

You could breed him to a longhorn and not lose and muscle. The longhorn may actually put some on the calves.

Latest posts