Hesston 530

Help Support CattleToday:

killingtime

Reaction score
I know everybody is getting tired of my round baler questions but what do you know about these balers?

I know they make a 4x4 and require low horsepower, but are they a good baler? I think they're the same as a Case-IH 8420. What should I look for when I go check it out? Like I have said before, I don't know that much about round balers, always put up squares. So any general info would be appreciated as well. The guys is asking $3500 and said he put about 150 bales through it a year. I have about 25 acres I'm going to round bale, that's it. Thanks.
530.jpg

530-2.jpg

I used to have a Hesston 5500 rd baler and it was a real simple machine. It made a good bale and as long as you didn't get your windrows too big, it did alright. And you had to make sure that the bale started rolling each time, but i have to watch that on my JD 435 baler to. And your hay had to be pretty dry, The one one your looking at should be better than mine was because its several years newer.He may be a little high on the price but i'm not sure, I would check around.

Thanks for the info. I've looked online and the cheapest one I've found other than this one was $4200 and it was an older model. Anybody know the approximate age of this thing? If the bale doesn't start what do you do to correct it? Would you still need to move back and forth over the rows to get an even bale?

It looks good in the picture. I've been using an 8420 for a long time. Not real hard to work on. Haven't had any major problems. I do make a smaller windrow and work it back and forth over it to keep the bale uniform. It depends on the moisture of the grass but too big of windrow will choke it up. That size baler would do fine on your acreage.

fitz

Pretty good machine for small farmers. It makes about a 3 1/2 X 4 bale if you fill it full. If the belts are in good shape it bales dry hay pretty good. I wore out a 5530 and put a lot of bales through a 530 and traded it for a 740 and love it.

Thanks for all the information. Think I'm gonna go look at it one day this week and see if he'll bite on $3000.

I've got one similiar to it.Just watch the feed make sure hay is spinning before you get going to far if you see it bunching up in front of it stop and look for a jam.Also make sure back gate is down all the way and latched.We bale over 3 hundred bales a year with ours.Like the smaller bales for transporting them.Also sounds like a great buy

Just found a Massey Ferguson 143 RF today. It looks real good. Has net wrap and monitor also. He has all the original paperwork. The guy bought it new in 1998 and says the only reason for selling it, is his declining health. It's field ready and has a brand new roll of net wrap on it. He says he won't take a penny less than $4500.

I thought this may be a better deal than the hesston. It's also about 70 miles closer to the house than the hesston, also. I don't know much about this type of baler though, could someone enlighten me? I think they're called soft core balers?
MF_143_1.jpg

MF_143_2.jpg

Soft core balers bunch hay up in the center of the bale and only wrap the outside of the bale and if you dont make a full bale the bale will go flat. If it was me I would stay away from the so core baler. I had a New Idea that was a soft core and didnt like it because even a full bale would go egg shaped. I also had a 5530 hesston and liked it alot but it isnt a fast baler, just take your time. I think a 5530 is the same as a 530.

Well I bought the hesston yesterday. It looks to be in really good shape and everything works. Only thing thats wrong is it's missing a few pickup fingers but the guy gave me some new ones that he had already bought and it needs a new plug on the wire going to the switch for the electric tie, but that should be an easy fix too.

killingtime":2jc3f2oj said:
Just found a Massey Ferguson 143 RF today. It looks real good. Has net wrap and monitor also. He has all the original paperwork. The guy bought it new in 1998 and says the only reason for selling it, is his declining health. It's field ready and has a brand new roll of net wrap on it. He says he won't take a penny less than $4500.

I thought this may be a better deal than the hesston. It's also about 70 miles closer to the house than the hesston, also. I don't know much about this type of baler though, could someone enlighten me? I think they're called soft core balers?
MF_143_1.jpg

MF_143_2.jpg

Just a note Hesston and Massey are made in the same factory just a different sticker on them.

The one you bought would have been my choice between the two. When Hesston made that series baler it was also sold as a Case International & New Idea. As noted they all carry the Massey label now.

fitz

If you haven't done it yet the easiest way to change the pick up teeth is to open the back and come in from that dirrection.

Latest posts