hernia???

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

i have a 18mo old heifer that didnt come up with the herd this evening, so i went and checked on her. she has a swelling underneath, right in front of her right back leg. it was dusk so i couldnt see it very well, but looks like it covers about the size of a small football and is raised, swelled out, about 1-2 inches.

she is walking gingerly. is this a hernia? what most likely would have caused it? i am afraid to ask, but if it is a hernia will she recover from it??

also, you know how some cows have a thin layer of skin that hangs down underneath, say 1 or 2 inches down for a foot or so directly underneath their belly. she now has one of them,, she didnt before. ??? it probably hangs down about 1 1/2 in. and is about 15 inches long.

she is in good shape and weighs about 8-850.

any help appreciated.

thanks gene

[email protected]

ok.. now that i can see (my eyesight and hearing are not what they used to be, and it makes it tough sometimes), it is a little different than what i thought.. her bag is swelled and hard (not feverish though), with 2 teats swelled.

this swelling extends mid way between her front and back legs. it gets softer the further you go forward. it is quite a swelling now about 2 inches raised. it is noticably sore as she walks, but i can touch it without her flinching.

i am reminded on something i think it was dunmovin said.. something about one heifer allowing another suck on her... i wonder if this was the cause.. i had one awhile back trying to suck some, but havent seen it in a month or so now. ??

any comments welcome,, she goes to the vet hopefully this evening.

thanks gene

i have a 18mo old heifer that
> didnt come up with the herd this
> evening, so i went and checked on
> her. she has a swelling
> underneath, right in front of her
> right back leg. it was dusk so i
> couldnt see it very well, but
> looks like it covers about the
> size of a small football and is
> raised, swelled out, about 1-2
> inches.

> she is walking gingerly. is this a
> hernia? what most likely would
> have caused it? i am afraid to
> ask, but if it is a hernia will
> she recover from it??

> also, you know how some cows have
> a thin layer of skin that hangs
> down underneath, say 1 or 2 inches
> down for a foot or so directly
> underneath their belly. she now
> has one of them,, she didnt
> before. ??? it probably hangs down
> about 1 1/2 in. and is about 15
> inches long.

> she is in good shape and weighs
> about 8-850.

> any help appreciated.

> thanks gene

[email protected]

Sounds like a bad case of mastitis OR she is pregnant and is bagging up to calve early and has edema. Whatever it is, the vet will let you know - but also let us know. Jeanne <A HREF="http://www.SimmeValley.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.SimmeValley.com</A>
> ok.. now that i can see (my
> eyesight and hearing are not what
> they used to be, and it makes it
> tough sometimes), it is a little
> different than what i thought..
> her bag is swelled and hard (not
> feverish though), with 2 teats
> swelled.

> this swelling extends mid way
> between her front and back legs.
> it gets softer the further you go
> forward. it is quite a swelling
> now about 2 inches raised. it is
> noticably sore as she walks, but i
> can touch it without her
> flinching.

> i am reminded on something i think
> it was dunmovin said.. something
> about one heifer allowing another
> suck on her... i wonder if this
> was the cause.. i had one awhile
> back trying to suck some, but
> havent seen it in a month or so
> now. ??

> any comments welcome,, she goes to
> the vet hopefully this evening.

> thanks gene

> i have a 18mo old heifer that

[email protected]

you hit it right on jeanne, being dark i couldnt tell much about it, and had not ever had a hernia problem, so didnt know what to look for in a hernia. now i know it wasnt a hernia, as i have been told what they look like. what i thought was a thin layer of skin hanging down like some cows have, was actually a large pool of drainage from the infection. i just couldnt tell at night. i guess i kind of jumped the gun with my question about hernias... but the more i thought about it that night, i just had to ask, and this board has been very helpful to and informative to me.

it was mastitis, and she died from it.. this is the same calf i asked later about heifers nursing heifers, and i appreciate your response to that question too.

thanks again

gene

> Sounds like a bad case of mastitis
> OR she is pregnant and is bagging
> up to calve early and has edema.
> Whatever it is, the vet will let
> you know - but also let us know.
> Jeanne <A HREF="http://www.SimmeValley.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.SimmeValley.com</A>

[email protected]

Latest posts