Hermaphrodite

Help Support CattleToday:

Dunn

Reaction score
Long time looker, first time poster. Been in the cattle business all my life and have a issue I have not had before. I had a calf born two days ago that appears to be an Hermaphrodite. Very large calf from 4 yr old cow (Second calf). Calf looks like it has both fully formed genitals. Not sure what to do with it but watch it grow. Appears to be healthy with the exception of left back leg bowed out at the hip but assume this was due to its size in the womb and or the calving process. Any thoughts?

Had this happen with a goat once from inbreeding (I am guessing). Just make sure that your calf can go to the bathroom ~ that one set of plumbing is working for sure. Then eat it when it grows up.

I'd have to agree with Angie. Unless your mistaken, it probably came from inbreeding.

No inbreeding involved. Bull was purchased couple of years ago. It would be nice to have a herd of these, If all the parts worked right I wouldn't need a bull.

Wierd things happen during development. Had a guy ask me to stop by and band a bull calf for him that he just got at the auction. One look told me there was no need - there was a vulva where the scrotum should have been. Calf urinated out of it and everything. No one noticed it before, just lifted the tail and assumed it was a bull.

I and a neighbor had been watchin this cow for a couple weeks because she was showing some discomfort prior to calving. When first came up on the calf I thought it was a bull calf at first. Neighbor came over to look latter on and said it was a heifer at first. When we looked a little closer turns out we were both wrong.

hillsdown":2co03j6x said:
dun":2co03j6x said:
Handy! Maybe it can breed itself

Good thing it isn't a man ,,,,as it would never leave the house... :lol2:

Iloveyoutoo.jpg

in goats it happens from breeding two naturally polled animals. i have read cows it just happens freak of nature.

jcarkie":2ccxnkiz said:
in goats it happens from breeding two naturally polled animals. i have read cows it just happens freak of nature.

Interesting since we bred all polled dairy goats for years and never had one.

jcarkie":3rkegsjg said:

After doing a have searches I think we have a winner.

hillsdown":1b9a9oos said:
dun":1b9a9oos said:
Handy! Maybe it can breed itself

Good thing it isn't a man ,,,,as it would never leave the house... :lol2:

Hillsdown I believe you may have just won the prize for the most astute observation in the history of Cattle Today :clap: :tiphat:

That one is right up there with why dogs lick their private parts. :shock:

rusty":28kx3w8a said:
cfpinz":28kx3w8a said:
Any thoughts?

Yea, what part of WV are you from?

Wondered what happened to that cow

This post has got me wondering. Has anyone heard from Bullbuyer lately? We may have to call in our resident West Virginian on this one. I'm sure he'll have all the answers when it comes to inbreeding and atypical sexual mutations.

jcarkie":2xqo3wb8 said:

According to what I've read on the subject, it's the buck that causes it - at least in meat breeds. The hermaphrodite gene is linked with the horned
gene, and using a polled buck on does will result in approximately 25% of the kids being hermaphrodites.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3olz4atu said:
Doesn't a female twin to a bull also exhibit both sexes sometimes?
The twin bull sometimes gets absorbed and you don't know she was a twin.
Correct

Latest posts