Hermaphrodite Part II

Help Support CattleToday:

Joined
Apr 9, 2009
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Location
Lamasco Texas
To begin, I have read the previous Hermaphrodite post…
A buddy’s cow had a Herm calf 8 days ago but the cow (this was her 2nd calf) abandoned it. Consequently, the wife bottle fed it in an attempt to give it a fighting chance to live; however, today it died from Kidney Failure. (I’m aware of the uphill battle from the moment of birth with a bottle fed calf and don’t wish to address these issues.)
This latest Herm was a little bull or at least I call it a Bull simply due to the method of urination. His front legs were in terrible shape as well from birth but he was a little fighter.
My questions are:
1. How rare are hermaphrodites? I read the previous post but have very many of you ever had one born on your place?
2. Anyone had any experience with one living? Obviously they’re facing a huge uphill battle from the moment they hit the ground and curious if anyone’s had one live to maturity?
 

Keren

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 21, 2006
Messages
3,415
Reaction score
0
Location
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
B&L Longhorn Ranch":2p2byi26 said:
I’m aware of the uphill battle from the moment of birth with a bottle fed calf

There's no reason why raising a calf on a bottle should be an uphill battle. No reason why a bottle fed calf should be any different to a dam raised calf, if you do it correctly. And its not that hard to do it correctly. You cannot tell the difference between my bottle raised and dam raised animals.

I have a hermaphrodite ewe here about 1 yr old, and a few months ago I had a herm goat wether; both of these are perfectly healthy in all other regards. The wether didnt live to maturity cos I ate him :D I still have the ewe.
 

randiliana

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 24, 2005
Messages
4,807
Reaction score
2
Location
Saskatchewan, Canada
We had a hermaphrodite calf we got as a replacement calf from a guy up the road. There was nothing else wrong with him, he grew out well, and pretty much looked like a steer. Didn't raise him on the bottle, the cow took him as her own in a couple days. He was a twin to another bull calf.
 

CKC1586

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 28, 2004
Messages
4,351
Reaction score
0
Location
Sunfield, Michigan USA
randiliana":1a9fmqgh said:
We had a hermaphrodite calf we got as a replacement calf from a guy up the road. There was nothing else wrong with him, he grew out well, and pretty much looked like a steer. Didn't raise him on the bottle, the cow took him as her own in a couple days. He was a twin to another bull calf.

Man oh man that bovine in utero testosterone must be some potent stuff.... wonder if this is happening in a twin pregnancy that ends up with only one calf being born????
 

Loch Valley Fold

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 21, 2008
Messages
542
Reaction score
0
Location
NSW Australia
A neighbour had twins born about a month - 6weeks ago & 1 was hermaphrodite she took both calves home & started them on the bottle as the cow was down with milk fever, being a vet she decided to operate on the calf & "fix" things for her as far as I know both are going really well

"Man oh man that bovine in utero testosterone must be some potent stuff.... wonder if this is happening in a twin pregnancy that ends up with only one calf being born????

I've wondered that myself as every now & again we will get 1 or 2 heifers that won't go in calf had the vet out to check them & they're fine but they won't go in calf
 

CKC1586

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 28, 2004
Messages
4,351
Reaction score
0
Location
Sunfield, Michigan USA
Loch Valley Fold":2yypbucr said:
A neighbour had twins born about a month - 6weeks ago & 1 was hermaphrodite she took both calves home & started them on the bottle as the cow was down with milk fever, being a vet she decided to operate on the calf & "fix" things for her as far as I know both are going really well

"Man oh man that bovine in utero testosterone must be some potent stuff.... wonder if this is happening in a twin pregnancy that ends up with only one calf being born????

I've wondered that myself as every now & again we will get 1 or 2 heifers that won't go in calf had the vet out to check them & they're fine but they won't go in calf
Sure makes ya wonder don't it?! Might be worth a blood test on the heifer that won't settle the first time if you had that question in your mind, test for freemartin.
 

Loch Valley Fold

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 21, 2008
Messages
542
Reaction score
0
Location
NSW Australia
"Sure makes ya wonder don't it?! Might be worth a blood test on the heifer that won't settle the first time if you had that question in your mind, test for freemartin.
Thanks for the heads up I had forgotten that you have a test for freemartins I'll have a talk to our vet & see if the same thing is available here in oz.
 

CKC1586

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 28, 2004
Messages
4,351
Reaction score
0
Location
Sunfield, Michigan USA
Loch Valley Fold":19i4d0dd said:
"Sure makes ya wonder don't it?! Might be worth a blood test on the heifer that won't settle the first time if you had that question in your mind, test for freemartin.
Thanks for the heads up I had forgotten that you have a test for freemartins I'll have a talk to our vet & see if the same thing is available here in oz.
I would think it could save some dollars if there was a doubt in mind to blood test the heifers early in the whole process of trying to get them bred. Hard to say how many twin pregnancies end up with only one calf being born.
 
Top