Herford X Simmental

Help Support CattleToday:

hereford simmentals make good mamas i sold my last 2 this year and i wish i had more they are gentle and milk well. i have some of their heifers out of brangus bulls and they are good too. i am planning to put a little sim back in for the maternal side.

:shock: I think if you take simmental cows, black or red, breed them hereford. Now you have a good cross for H-2 Heifers. "The perfect mother" so to speak. Now once you have enough of these, you can breed them to a black or red saler bull. Now what you end up with is the black brockle face, or red brockle. Perhaps some red and black blaze face. I believe it to be the ideal 3 way cross. Perfect coloring, haircoat, and growth for the commercial herd. Those saler cross calves are generally small at birth, but the heaviest on a 200 day wean time. This has been proven for years. In experience and also in documented tests. This is my goal for the next 10 years. Just my opinion. But I have seen the color scheme and build of these calves. Start with quality, and you will not be dissapointed.

Hill Creek and Txag , I have a few question about the diluter carriers?

1) Feltons Domino 774 has 7777 and Titian in his pedgree and do they have the deluter gene.

2) Knoll Crest Farm uses 774 in many of their cows and sell the calves as registered stock. Should people stay away from 774 calves?

3) Feltons Ozzie , Feltons Mandate , and several of the highest profit indexing Herefords breed to 774 who's sire is 7777 who's sire is Titian , should Hereford breeders not use these sires in their AI programs?

4) Does the diluter gene get breed out or is it bred out of the popular Feltons sires?

Thanks

I do not know anything about Hfd pedigrees, but I do know about the diluter gene. It is a color/affecting gene - it is NOT a disease! It is a gene just like the horn gene. It is not truly EXPRESSED on red hided cattle - cattle can be dark red or light yellow and it does not mean they are or are not diluted red. BUT, on BLACK hided cattle it is DEFINATELY expressed - they will be chocolate, silver, grey, mousy brown, any black SHADES other than true BLACK. An animal carrying the gene may be homozygous diluted (two genes - which means EVERY calf would carry one gene) or heterozygous diluted (1 gene - 50/50 chance whether the offspring inherits the gene)
So, one animal that had one diluter gene (can not get a DNA test run yet) could possibly have NEVER passed it on (not realy likely but possible). Anyway, after a few generations of breeding to non-diluted cattle (which all of Hfts should be non-diluted) you PROBABLY don't still have the gene. BUT, you never can truly know unless you breed them to 10 homozygous BLACK cattle. If you get true black out of all 10 matings, than you should be safe to say the Hfd does not carry the diluter.
I picked the number 10 breedings, because that is what it takes to prove an animal is homozygous polled. (Homo Polled bred to 10 horned animals).
And, also, like it was said = you cannot get a "chocolate" calf out of RED genes - "chocolate" is a shade of BLACK. To get chocolate, one parent has to BE BLACK, besides inheriting the diluter gene.

LFF":5j4keh1z said:
Hill Creek and Txag , I have a few question about the diluter carriers?

1) Feltons Domino 774 has 7777 and Titian in his pedgree and do they have the deluter gene.

2) Knoll Crest Farm uses 774 in many of their cows and sell the calves as registered stock. Should people stay away from 774 calves?

3) Feltons Ozzie , Feltons Mandate , and several of the highest profit indexing Herefords breed to 774 who's sire is 7777 who's sire is Titian , should Hereford breeders not use these sires in their AI programs?

4) Does the diluter gene get breed out or is it bred out of the popular Feltons sires?

Thanks
The 7777 bull was proven to have the diluter gene and I think Titan may have pasted it on to a few calves, but I don't think it was many. Also, I use Feltons Domino 774 and have had great success out of his progeny. He is one of my favorites. Feltons Ozzie, well I don't use Ozzie, but I know that a Local Felton based herd used him and got high birth weight calves sired by him. I wouldn't use him on any heifers!Feltons Mandate is a real deal carcass bull. Between Ozzie ands Mandate, as far as I know there have been NO reported cases of the diluter gene reflecting off into either Ozzies or Mandates progeny. I would say there is always that chance that the diltuer gene could show up down the road out of a Felton based animal that was out of 7777, but it would be a small percentage. My closest Hereford Breeder owns Feltons Mentor 477 and 477 has 7777 and Titan in his genetic background and out of 45 progeny, no problems. So, don't worry about this gene to much, but don't put it on the back burner either. :cboy:

Latest posts