Herford X Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
When you breed an Angus Bull to a herford cow or a Herford Bull to an Angus cow, do you always get a Black baldy? Or can you get red sometimes?

if you breed a hereford to a Black angus you will get a black baldy unless the black angus carries a red gene which is possible and not terribly unlikely in which case you would get 1/2 red and half black calves

aplusmnt":39ci7fef said:
does this mean that some full blood black Angus have the red gene?

Yes, they're referred to as red carrier. Probably fewer in the US then anywhere else since Angus in the rest of the world don;t discriminate against a red Angus calf.

dun

dun,
Have you ever wondered why on the AAA defects listing page for the red/wild gene

http://www.angus.org/pubs/defects.html

some are denoted with a *(Registeration pulled) and some not?
I have never understood that. Is it because of the genetic prominance in the animal?

Also, I have never analyzed the data that much, but, several folks think that NOT MUCH difference exists in the angus vs red angus animal with respect to the harvested product except for market perception.

Any thoughts?

Would a F1 Black Baldy when bred back to an Angus Bull produce a Black Baldy with the look of the F1? Or do you start getting some differences in appearance once you breed the F1's?

aplusmnt":2re1e82k said:
Would a F1 Black Baldy when bred back to an Angus Bull produce a White Baldy with the look of the F1? Or do you start getting some differences in appearance once you breed the F1's?

What's a white baldy?

Yes the F1 F1 cross will give you almost all baldy calves with the potential of 1 in 4 being red hided.

El_Putzo":1odohheh said:
aplusmnt":1odohheh said:
Would a F1 Black Baldy when bred back to an Angus Bull produce a White Baldy with the look of the F1? Or do you start getting some differences in appearance once you breed the F1's?

What's a white baldy?
ME! :D

aplusmnt":1y2q1xq4 said:
Would a F1 Black Baldy when bred back to an Angus Bull produce a Black Baldy with the look of the F1? Or do you start getting some differences in appearance once you breed the F1's?

The F1s can give you anything from a Hereford looking calf to a solid colored calf whne bred to solid colored bull. That's where the spotting and other bizarre genes get involved that makes it a crap shoot.

dun

preston39":28xltklc said:
dun,
Have you ever wondered why on the AAA defects listing page for the red/wild gene

http://www.angus.org/pubs/defects.html

some are denoted with a *(Registeration pulled) and some not?
I have never understood that. Is it because of the genetic prominance in the animal?

Also, I have never analyzed the data that much, but, several folks think that NOT MUCH difference exists in the angus vs red angus animal with respect to the harvested product except for market perception.

Any thoughts?

Don;t know about the AAA and what they do about color and registration other then not allowing reds to be registered in the first place.
Both colors stem from the same gene pool, the Red Angus may have a smaller pool to dunk into, but there are some awfully powerful genetics available.

dun

aplusmnt":1fg8m353 said:

You can get brockled or motley faces calves.

If you breed black baldy cows back to a hereford bull will those calves have more white like a hereford? For ex. the feet, that white stripe on top of the neck, white tail switch?

CopeMan":bzofyyhz said:
If you breed black baldy cows back to a hereford bull will those calves have more white like a hereford? For ex. the feet, that white stripe on top of the neck, white tail switch?

Correct, they'll sometimes out Hereford a Hereford when it comes to traditional markings

dun

dun":14kgdjkw said:
CopeMan":14kgdjkw said:

Correct, they'll sometimes out Hereford a Hereford when it comes to traditional markings

dun

....and so the "black Hereford" is born.. :lol:

1848":14ipeh9y said:
....and so the "black Hereford" is born.. :lol:

One of only a few pet peaves that I have: a black hereford.

At least you laughed after it, 1848.

Black Herefords.....Bah humbug!