Herford Thing???

Help Support CattleToday:

K2011

Reaction score
This cow is a Brahman-Herford Cross........but are the dots on her face a Brahman thing or a herford thing or are they just "special markings" Two of her calves(now a cows) also have the dots (one more than the other)......
COW.....
100_1488.JPG

Older Calf......has the most dots
000_0144.JPG

Younger Calf.....you have to look kind-a close but the dots are there
100_1828.JPG

We call them "freckles" (though I bet that is not an accurate description) and they come from the Hereford.

Brandonm22":2knhqz5y said:
We call them "freckles" (though I bet that is not an accurate description) and they come from the Hereford.

Supposedly they are a throwback to one of the foundation Hereford cows, named "Mottle(?)" I've always heard them called freckles as well.

K2011":nz4a9dkx said:
This cow is a Brahman-Herford Cross........but are the dots on her face a Brahman thing or a herford thing or are they just "special markings" Two of her calves(now a cows) also have the dots (one more than the other)......
COW.....
100_1488.JPG

Older Calf......has the most dots
000_0144.JPG

Younger Calf.....you have to look kind-a close but the dots are there
100_1828.JPG
yep hereford side

The Stockman line of herefords often give you the freckles, it also seem to increase with age. In this cow's case it could really come from anywhere, I have seen similar freckles in red brahman cattle as well

KNERSIE":3lv4nwpa said:
The Stockman line of herefords often give you the freckles, it also seem to increase with age. In this cow's case it could really come from anywhere, I have seen similar freckles in red brahman cattle as well
i never had freckles like those, when i bred braford's and i used reds , speckled indu's, greys

greenwillowhereford II":3gwc35x0 said:
Brandonm22":3gwc35x0 said:

Supposedly they are a throwback to one of the foundation Hereford cows, named "Mottle(?)" I've always heard them called freckles as well.

You are correct sir! :cboy:

TNMasterBeefProducer":en4g40sk said:
ALACOWMAN":en4g40sk said:
smallrancher":en4g40sk said:
No offense intended Alacowman, but you don't have to copy the original post every time you reply.
no offence taken,,, now if i only knew what the be nice your talking about

I have never seen that on the victor and or domino line of herefords that I used to raise. Even used beefmaster bulls on them once and even a brammer bull once and never had one have freckles like that. That is pretty interesting.

I've got some cows that are predominantly Victor, and they are freckled. They are also pigmented around the eyes. Not patches, but eyeliner.