Herford/Angus calf

Help Support CattleToday:

WLee

Reaction score
I have a registered herford that I bred with a New Design registered angus bull. The calf was born yesterday and I was surprised to see it was a solid black bull calf. Can anyone explain why he isn't a black baldy?

your saying that the calf out looking like a fullblood angus well ive never seen anything like that they are are blk white face post a picture if you can id love to see that scott

bigbull338":3mlqtqgi said:
your saying that the calf out looking like a fullblood angus well ive never seen anything like that they are are blk white face post a picture if you can id love to see that scott

I don't know how to post a picture to this site, but I can e-mail it if you'd like. It is a solid black calf with no white anywhere.

most of the time the calf will be a black baldy, but there is a small percentage of the time it will be all black. just the laws of nature

Always thought the white face was completely homozygous, news to me but not impossible I guess. :?: Maybe there is something else behind the Hereford and she is manifesting the white face, but not carrying it as a homozygous gene.

Hmmmmmmm, sounds fishy. Tell us about the Hereford cow, adn post her ereg number for us.

Much as I hate to agree with ollie, one plausible explanation is that the Hereford cow is part Simmental.

When some of the 1st fullblood simmies were crossed with Herefords, then F2 crosses made, there were solid face cattle in the mix indicating that the white face in Simmental had a different inheritance that the white face in Herefords. So, it was then possible to have solid faced cattle born from white faced animals.

I'd be interested to see the pedigree of that Hereford cow, to see if she traces back to some of the bulls that questions were raised about.

mtnman

WLee":2fis72rn said:
I have a registered herford that I bred with a New Design registered angus bull. The calf was born yesterday and I was surprised to see it was a solid black bull calf. Can anyone explain why he isn't a black baldy?

I sure would like to know the Sire and Dams registration numbers.

WLee":1y5gjrav said:

Don't know why it happens, but I'll agree with you that it does..I have a few full blood herefords left that are bred to purebred angus bulls-- once in a while will end up with a solid black calf...I've noticed they are usually out of the "redneck" hereford cows that have more red on their necks and chest...Then the next year they will have a baldy or brockle face...

mtnman":xts9m30i said:
I'd be interested to see the pedigree of that Hereford cow, to see if she traces back to some of the bulls that questions were raised about.

Mtnman,

Would you mind sharing the names or lines of some of the bulls in question? I plan on seeking out some AHA registered stock this fall and sure don't want any surprises after spending good money for them.

i have had two in the last couple years out of brangus bull and red white face cows no white anywhere

MY":3c0cbin7 said:
Always thought the white face was completely homozygous, news to me but not impossible I guess. :?: Maybe there is something else behind the Hereford and she is manifesting the white face, but not carrying it as a homozygous gene.
Most plausible explanation.

Latest posts