herf junior natls

Help Support CattleToday:

iowa hawkeyes

Reaction score
Been here all week. Hotter than h. Yesterday kicked my butt. Today we show cow calf, bull and big heifer. Fireworks were crazy and awesome here

Need some pics and if possible the breeding in pics and of course personal pics. :D

Alan

Well I went it was as hot as heck and lots of fun mixing fireworks and cattle. I took 3 head and a 7 yo who had never shown she got 4,3,2 and almost made the cut in showmanship. We were smart and brought a friend who showed us the ropes. Hope everyone else also had fun

IMG_7150_1.jpg

cow calf pair. first calf heifer by Moler, calf by an About Time son we raised.

IMG_7178_1.jpg

bull calf was reserve division

IMG_7204_1.jpg

son's bull by About Time. last in class :( got a squirt bottle for it though!

IMG_7239_1.jpg

About Time heifer won class in B&O class on Friday, was 8th in class on Sunday! We love her, I don't care where she places! :)

jnhe_kids_state_pic.jpg

Iowa's delegation

Congrats on the show results, nice looking stock. IMHO getting the kids involved in the industry and gaining some wholesome life experiences is why we should take the time to show.

It looks like the jr nationals were held in Grand Island. If so, how were the facilities? I have been meaning to get to a show down there and never have made the time...

It was really nice. We were in the sheep barn. I think it was cooler than the beef barn. The arena was air conditioned so that was good. The best western plus was a great hotel. Wash racks had plenty of room. Lots of electricity. We had 1100 head there and we didn't have any problems.

I have heard that the facilities were nice, didn't know how they compared to the QWEST center or Des Moines. I am impressed that there was room for that big of show.

Beautiful and the classes were tough!!! Good job and beautiful cattle congrats!

I like both your females, the problem being the types that will work for us on the farm are often outgunned by size in the ring by those types that will only ever calve once on the farm.

A thing to keep in mind when selecting heifers for the showstring is that a little extra neck extension goes a long way for femininity and usually means you can get by by making them a little fatter before running the risk of a heavy brisket.

KNERSIE":3sjmzabo said:
I like both your females, the problem being the types that will work for us on the farm are often outgunned by size in the ring by those types that will only ever calve once on the farm.

A thing to keep in mind when selecting heifers for the showstring is that a little extra neck extension goes a long way for femininity and usually means you can get by by making them a little fatter before running the risk of a heavy brisket.

In the B& O show he picked smaller cattle. The bigger ones got beat consistently. I thought we would be ok in the owned class, but he never looked at us.

iowa hawkeyes":2dixvkga said:
KNERSIE":2dixvkga said:

In the B& O show he picked smaller cattle. The bigger ones got beat consistently. I thought we would be ok in the owned class, but he never looked at us.

Same judge?

A friend once told me that you've gotta have a good sense of humour if you want to show...

No b&o was Friday and owned on Sunday. I have one better than that tho. Many years ago at the iowa state fair we showed an Angus that won its division in the feeder calf show one day and was last out of 19 the next day. I didn't find much humor in that!

Call me a sore loser if you like, but I also get a sense of humour failure when that happens.

KNERSIE":k2o6nvsq said:
Call me a sore loser if you like, but I also get a sense of humour failure when that happens.
Yea me too. I had a heifer that got 5 out of 17 at the state fair then went to a local yokecal fair and got dead last, might be the judge, but it sure makes a good laugh with friends. :lol2: :nod:

Iowa, I normal don't say that I like a hereford, but I like that About Time heifer. :tiphat:

Thanks Sim. The quality was verydeep. It gets better ever year and I love it and my herfs. We had a 60 year Angus herd and I'm glad we switched