Herf - color ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I'm wondering why some folks feel that the deep red pigment color is so important. I understand eye pigment and scotal pigment, but can't figure out why dark red is so important, I also understand diluted, but I don't think a litter pigment color translates into a diluted gene problem.... is it simply eye appeal? Does a Hereford need to be "candy apple red"?

Alan

is it simply eye appeal?

Yes

Does a Hereford need to be "candy apple red"?

No

The breed standard states the colour can vary from yellowish red to dark cherry red. I prefer them just red, the really dark almost ebony red is often a coarser lower quality haircoat in my experience. Very yellowish red bulls are slower to sell, because of less eye appeal. Stick to the middle of the road and avoid the curbs on either side still applies like it does with all other traits.

I do not think it is simply eye appeal. It is possible color buying pressure can alter prices. For example, if an animal is not very very dark red, I will not place a bid on the animal. I am not saying I am with the majority, just making a point that color can influence supply and demand.

In regards to performance, which was probably KNERSIE's point, I agree. Yellows could be better performing animals than dark reds.

In this area, the yellowier (mellow yellow they call them) ones have sold the best for years. Personally I prefer them a deep dark red. I think it is mostly eye appeal.

HerefordSire":1hh7rein said:
I do not think it is simply eye appeal. It is possible color buying pressure can alter prices. For example, if an animal is not very very dark red, I will not place a bid on the animal. I am not saying I am with the majority, just making a point that color can influence supply and demand.

In regards to performance, which was probably KNERSIE's point, I agree. Yellows could be better performing animals than dark reds.

Of course it's eye appeal! And, yes, eye appeal CAN definitely alter prices! I also know breeders who want them "yellow" and I have a Line 1 breeder over in the next county who won't have a "white leg" on his place. Other breeders don't like red necks and most breeders in the US would be very reluctant to use a linebacked bull like Knersie's bulls, regardless of all their other good traits.

Like Knersie said - the "middle of the road" is the best place to be!

My personal observation is that the darker red cattle generally draw more flies than the lighter red cattle - but that can also vary by individual.

George

George....I never won anything by being in the middle of the road. I am not saying you middle of the road conservative philosophers are incorrect. Middle of the road is just is not my style and I feel like I am in the minority. I don't want average anything and that includes Hereford color. There are two sides to my coin though and I have paid the piper for being wrong many times including losing money. However, by being wrong, I was able to adjust and adapt so I can break records and be the best I can be, and I have broken many records on the journey. Some categories of breaking records are harder than others especially the ones that require larger sums of capital. By driving to the edge of nausea, I have come to find out I can extend time intervals between nauseating events.

Latest posts