Herf Bull Pic

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH":1y2qjsae said:
Not much to tear up or apart. If you are really that upset with them they are welcome at my place. who do you suggest for shipping? :D

Again, I'm no teacher or a photographer, the point of the post was to show that taking a picture when they are not standing just the right way or are stretched out, or twisted around, of HALFWAY decent individuals, will not show a bunch of glaring faults if they don't actually exist, you sure shouldn't need to "photoshop" them.

Puting a horned bull on those cows wouldnt upset you much would it? :D JHH

Now you know I only like real Herefords, Polled, that way I don't have to worry too much about those cross bred horned kind. :)

Again, I'm no teacher or a photographer, the point of the post was to show that taking a picture when they are not standing just the right way or are stretched out, or twisted around, of HALFWAY decent individuals, will not show a bunch of glaring faults if they don't actually exist, you sure shouldn't need to "photoshop" them.

That was the point I was trying to make when I said sound animals set themselves up.

HD, the cow doesn't look dry to me, just young. Herefords won't have the udders nor the milk gelbvieh has.

i like herefrods but you dont see much of them in fl. angus/brahman/charlois seem popular..why do ya think not many herefords here.

Good question DB, I am sure they would do well in Florida if they do well and are popular in Australia ,New Zealand and SA..I think the climates would be quite comparable to yours. Maybe you could start a new trend..

Thanks Knersie, I just didn't see much of an udder at all just long teats, my few that I have had noticeable udders even as first calvers (nice tight udders) that is why I liked them so much and have kept them ..I thought maybe it was a heifer but they said cow. :?

hillsdown":2m5zf9au said:
Just wondering as I only have a few herfs in my commercial herd but ,is that a dry cow in those pics ?
She's a 4 1/2 year old now on her 3rd calf, she's the dam of the heifer I posted a picture of back in Dec/Jan who had the 606 lb 205 day weaning weight, so she's milks ok. Epd say's she's a + 15 for milk.

JHH":2hn89c9f said:
Well I guess this is how we welcome you back! While the pic may not be the best and he may not be standing right I would still take the advice of the breeders on here. They are just trying to give you an honest unbiased opinion.

I am afraid I would have steered him also. I liked a little bull that I had last fall and he is now about ready for the freezer :D

We have talked about everthing from being purebred to management. I think you need to post 2 newer good pics and repost and see what is said then. JHH

P.S. You have posted better looking animals. Dont let us run you off again!

Finally some advice I will take. Post a couple different pics and see what happens. When I get time, I will do just that. Right now, the only time I have to do what I want usually comes after dark.

Don't worry about running me off, it ain't gonna happen. I am usually around lurking, just don't always post. Most times the comments I'd like to make on a post have already been said by someone else and probably with more accuracy than I could have mustered.

rocket2222":2tul8eqy said:
El_Putzo":2tul8eqy said:
I appreciate you taking the time to explain all that, but by the same token, you could take an animal which is nearly 100% structurally sound, put him on uneven terrain and stretch him out a bit, and make him look pretty sorry. You have to remember, it can go either way. I also didn't take many shots of him. It was getting dark and he was feeling pretty frisky that night, so I didn't have much to choose from.

I'll never make a teacher. :) I chose these two animals because I already had some of the pics uploaded. I picked out these pictures because its pretty obvious there was no set up time, it was one shot on each and put the camera away.
My herd bull eating, scrunched up, and stretched out in full sunlight.
IMG_151311111.jpg

IMG_2347111.jpg

IMG_23591111.jpg

One of my cows, she was eating till I jumped over the fence, raised her head up and I took the pic, I took the next pic from my truck from about a hundred feet away with a zoom, she again was eating, I blew the horn, see looked, I took the pic, and here she is scratching.
IMG_06441111.jpg

IMG_1070.jpg

IMG_2217111.jpg

In all these pictures no one's standing squarely or posing, there was no set up time, one shot for each pic. According to y'all it's the pictures that make them look bad, because you don't have the time to set them, or the lens you're using makes them look swaybacked, cow hocked and light muscled :) so the 2 animals pictured above should look pretty sorry, I'm thick skinned, so tear them up.

Rocket, I again thank you for taking the time to post pics and try to explain your point. I won't go into a long discussion about your cattle, only that they look "well fed" in these pics. If they do that on grass alone, I salute you for having a well trained eye for picking cattle, because it appears you have picked some nice ones. I suspect you supplement your cattle because the pasture that cow is on would far from sustain the BCS she is carrying. I don't have a problem with supplementing, but my situation doesn't allow me to do so. We all know that fat hides a lot of faults as was mentioned earlier and I think we can both agree that my bull calf is in no where near the BCS that your cattle are. To me, you are comparing apples to oranges by trying to evaluate a BCS 6 calf in the same manner as a BCS 7-8 cow and bull, which is why despite all of the wisdom of this board, I will keep him a bull until yearling. At that point maybe we can reevaluate when he has that finished look that most desire to see.

I do think you may have proven my point to some degree though. Look at your bull pics, the first pic he looks short coupled and short legged but he still looks OK. But in the second pic he has his head cocked sideways which causes a very noticable dip in his topline behind the shoulders, similar but not as severe as my bull. It is not until the 3rd pick when he is standing above you on level ground, stretched out and quartering toward the camera that he really looks nice.

P.S. I do not own a copy of photoshop. If anyone thinks that pic was photoshopped, they are sadly mistaken. That's not my game, I'm not trying to sell show cattle.

El_Putzo":29m6wfdu said:
Rocket, I again thank you for taking the time to post pics and try to explain your point. I won't go into a long discussion about your cattle, only that they look "well fed" in these pics. If they do that on grass alone, I salute you for having a well trained eye for picking cattle, because it appears you have picked some nice ones. I suspect you supplement your cattle because the pasture that cow is on would far from sustain the BCS she is carrying. I don't have a problem with supplementing, but my situation doesn't allow me to do so. We all know that fat hides a lot of faults as was mentioned earlier and I think we can both agree that my bull calf is in no where near the BCS that your cattle are. To me, you are comparing apples to oranges by trying to evaluate a BCS 6 calf in the same manner as a BCS 7-8 cow and bull, which is why despite all of the wisdom of this board, I will keep him a bull until yearling. At that point maybe we can reevaluate when he has that finished look that most desire to see.

One last try. :)
All my cows including the one pictured have to make it on grass in the summer, hay in the winter, when feeding hay they may also get a protein supplement depending on hay quality. This winter I had plenty of fairly good hay so that's all they got. I purchased her great grandmother back in 1993 as a yearling heifer, the cow in the pictures is a third generation born on the farm. The only reason I mentioned this is to remind you that whatever bull you use, and the heifers you keep will effect your herd for years to come, choose them wisely.

El PUTZO If all these folks have hurt your fellings over your bull, What will you take for him? He would cross well with my Black Angus, I just might roll up to Mo. and get him...

alftn":2g8011to said:
El PUTZO If all these folks have hurt your fellings over your bull, What will you take for him? He would cross well with my Black Angus, I just might roll up to Mo. and get him...

No hurt feelings here. I've posted plenty of photos and not always gotten the comments I wanted to hear. That is the whole point of posting, to get others opinions. But we have to remember, they are just that, opinions, and most are from people we don't know from adam. So you take what you get with a grain of salt and move on.

Now, if you're headed this direction sometime, PM me. I'd be more than happy to show you this guy as well as his mother. And I agree, I think he'd make an excellent cross on some black cows.