Here's your chance, jump in

Help Support CattleToday:

They are nice people. I have there smoked and cured jowl almost every day! They seem to be always busy.

They are nice people. I have there smoked and cured jowl almost every day! They seem to be always busy.
Be nice to know if they are ready to retire or just trying to cash in on the latest small butcher craze? Could be a little of both.

I estimate 650-700,000 on the processing end, no idea on the retail. I'm no authority on the processing business though.

1643376130283.png

The cost per square foot seems in line. Normal is $400 to $500 per square foot to build new. They are $357

The purchase price is high considering a 7 year payback. Rule of thumb is purchase price is three times a year's gross revenue.

I would love to hear another analysis on it. I approximated the animal processing cost per at $500 for beef and $225 for hogs.

View attachment 12590

The cost per square foot seems in line. Normal is $400 to $500 per square foot to build new. They are $357

The purchase price is high considering a 7 year payback. Rule of thumb is purchase price is three times a year's gross revenue.

I would love to hear another analysis on it. I approximated the animal processing cost per at $500 for beef and $225 for hogs.
I was assuming 250 per hog. Beef is $.90 a pound here not counting tenderizing, patties, etc, I'd love to get a beef done for $500.

View attachment 12590

It says they are doing 700 deer a year too.

Updated based on other comments

1643383033169.png

This brings the years down to 5. My target would be 3 year payback on gross sales.

When prices get into the million dollar range it seems like it gets harder for mom and pop operators to come up with a down payment that big. If they can come up with it they are probably looking at 5 yrs of lower than normal income too. On top of the down payment you need a pretty good bank roll to pay employees and go through the initial growing pains. One thing allot of people don't understand about owning your own business is the fact that things can't wait. If a freezer unit goes down at a locker plant it needs to fixed asap no matter the cost. It's not like at home we're you can wait until you have the extra $10,000 to fix the problem. Hopefully you can get it fixed without a huge loss in product too. The upside is if you can make it through the first several years you can have it really really good. I wish them the best in selling and hope the new buyers make it work.

it would be customer cost and processor gross profit. That is the same thing from two different perspectives.

Maybe I don't understand your question
Maybe I should have worded that better. What my question was; Is that the expenses incurred by the processor per animal or the gross profit per animal?

My brother picks meat up for me when he goes to Carthage for board meetings. I think that area had a new locker open in the last year or so. But he is still using Bushnell because of outstanding people and product.

If anyone hasn't seen The Bearded Butchers on YouTube or Instagram it's worth a look. They make excellent butchering videos and have an awesome shop they just remodeled. The videos are too long for me and the shop had to of been a small fortune to build.

If anyone hasn't seen The Bearded Butchers on YouTube or Instagram it's worth a look. They make excellent butchering videos and have an awesome shop they just remodeled. The videos are too long for me and the shop had to of been a small fortune to build.
I've seen a video or two they've done and was impressed

is there some kind of tax implication for listing a business for sale? our local guys have had a listing for years but they don't act like they really want to sell. I should ask next time I go by. it is a third generation family outfit and doesn't seem to be in sell mode in any way.

is there some kind of tax implication for listing a business for sale? our local guys have had a listing for years but they don't act like they really want to sell. I should ask next time I go by. it is a third generation family outfit and doesn't seem to be in sell mode in any way.
Maybe it's "For Sale" but not "On Sale"