Here's one for comment

Help Support CattleToday:

Wick

Reaction score
Would you take a job that you would really enjoy that is safer and better hours for your family, but pays $9000 less a year than your current job that you like most of the time that has messed up hours and you are subject to getting called out in the middle of the night and your current job is pretty dangerous.

If it makes your life easier and you can make on that much less money, then go for it. Sometimes you have to simplify your life.

only thing i can say not knowing every detail,, is you wont buy that extra time spent with your wife and children with 9 grand a year.. and when their grown it pricesless

We spend so many hours of our day at work, we should at least enjoy what we do. And as ALA says you can't buy that extra time spent with your family.

when i was 21 yrs old i started my masonry construction business and i worked every day of the week for years.my co grew rapidly and i made alot of $$ over the yrs.i also missed alot of time with my 5 boys,games,school events,vacation,the boys and my wife would go w/o me.i missed too much and the $$ aint even close 2 being worth it.little by little i realized this and spent more time with my fam.9 yrs ago we had an unexpected daughter and i decided no way was i gonna missout with her and i always put her and the rest of my fam first.still n business and alot happier.so i would say if u can take a new job that will still pay u enuff 2 provide for them and spend more time with them then u r a fool if u pass it up.

It makes a lot less difference if you are making $100,000 a year and taing a $9,000 cut than making $18,000 and taking the $9,000 cut. If you can make it work go for it.
I know what it is like to be on call and for some times of the year never being home.

I work for a utility company and sounds like you are in the same boat as I am. We average 500-900 hours overtime a year. During storms in the summer I have worked 95 hours in a week. Leave at six, come home at eleven, eat supper and go to bed. Repeat for weeks at a time. On call every 3rd week year round. Good money, but gets old real quick. Wife is patient, but I know she gets tired of it too. I like what I do, but if something came up with fewer hours, even for less pay, I would jump on it. When your kids are grown they probably will not remember the extra money you made, but they will remember the time you spent with them. Just my .02, hope this helps.

1) money isn't everything.
2) $9000 is relative...if your making $90,000 a year it is peanuts. If you are making $20,000 it is a lot.
Your own situation dictates what is best at this moment. Much more "behind the scene" info you haven't disclosed. Maybe the most important besides family life would be advancement potential.

AND more time off is worthless to if you already have too much time on your hands. Probably worse on the more "senior" of us than the younger guys.

Latest posts