Here's for al of you that said...

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cattle Shower

Reaction score
That a straightbred Angus will never take a show... In July, at the Prarieland Jr. Ag. Showcase, a DIF cow took Supreme female, and a Gelbvieh was Reserve. Champion steer was 3/4 Angus, 1/4 Maine, a very stout steer, and Reserve was Simmie/Herf. if I remember correctly. The cow was exhibited by a member of our 4-H club, and besides from kicking straw into the food on the table beside her, she was superb. lol.

Just goes to say anythign and everything is possible with hard work and commitment.

Angus Cattle Shower":2mt4sb5y said:
That a straightbred Angus will never take a show... In July, at the Prarieland Jr. Ag. Showcase, a DIF cow took Supreme female, and a Gelbvieh was Reserve. Champion steer was 3/4 Angus, 1/4 Maine, a very stout steer, and Reserve was Simmie/Herf. if I remember correctly. The cow was exhibited by a member of our 4-H club, and besides from kicking straw into the food on the table beside her, she was superb. lol.

Just goes to say anythign and everything is possible with hard work and commitment.

I have seen lots of Angus Females win Supreme Female. Not sure when someone said a PB Angus could not win? Were they talking about a Steer show? I would say it would pretty darn hard for a Full blood Angus to win a good steer show. Just like the one you mentioned they need some Maine or Simmi or something in there to give them that muscle and power.

aplusmnt":3tifc1sl said:
Angus Cattle Shower":3tifc1sl said:

I have seen lots of Angus Females win Supreme Female. Not sure when someone said a PB Angus could not win? Were they talking about a Steer show? I would say it would pretty darn hard for a Full blood Angus to win a good steer show. Just like the one you mentioned they need some Maine or Simmi or something in there to give them that muscle and power.

I agree, it's tough to beat an Angus heifer around here. As for the steers, you rarely see a PB Angus win.

Angus Cattle Shower":1z8y4q9r said:

We were talking about steers.

All that was said that an Angus will never take any kind of show, and she took it. lol. Two years ago at the same show, (i'm trying to think of his name... dont remember it) was showing a Blacklock steer (100% Angus) and took the whole thing... look it up if ya want to. We were talkign about this last night at a friends place... only reason I brought it up.

Angus Cattle Shower":1fwfgzvt said:
All that was said that an Angus will never take any kind of show, and she took it. lol. Two years ago at the same show, (i'm trying to think of his name... dont remember it) was showing a Blacklock steer (100% Angus) and took the whole thing... look it up if ya want to. We were talkign about this last night at a friends place... only reason I brought it up.

Like I said before I must have missed the thread were someone or the group said an Angus could not win, but It make sense that cowboy said they were talking about steers.

Our county fair an Angus female has won supreme female like as many years as I have been going to it. I know at least 5 years in a row. It is hard to beat a great angus heifer at a show.

But if an PB Angus steer ever won a major steer show I would love to see him and then be wondering just how the person cheated on the papers to win it. There is just to many good Maine x Shorthorn x Simmental x chi x whatever for a straight angus to win.

Not saying it never happened, just I never seen it but then again there is lots of things I never seen :lol:

Angus Females win shows all the time. As a matter of fact, An angus female showed by Cass Pheifer won the Oklahoma Youth Expo, the largest youth show in the world.
As for Angus steers, There are good ones, but its hard to compete with x-bred steers.
d6cattleman

It is difficult to win a steer show with a purebred. One of the breeds to do it the most here in Australia is Charolais and Limousin sometimes. Our most numerous steer show winners would be Charolais/Angus,Limousin/Angus,Limousin/Hereford,Murray Grey and Galloway. Shorthorns are just starting to influence the cross in some wins.

It's hard to win with purebred steers but it definately can be done, as proof a Charolais steer won champion Led Steer at the Royal Queensland Show 2 weeks ago. Although you do very rarely see a PB take it out, and I don't think I've seen a PB Angus take it out at any of the shows I've been to.

farmwife":11fkchjc said:
d6cattleman":11fkchjc said:
Oklahoma Youth Expo, the largest youth show in the world.

How many entries -- I think Ft. Worth is the largest youth show.

I'm pretty sure Oklahoma is the largest, but I'm not 100% sure.

Angus Cattle Shower":2pyydx60 said:

Are you just trying to prove a point about Angus or something? An angus steer hasn't won any of our majors in Texas as far as I know.

100% sure. Go to their website, Im not sure what it is, but its all over their ribbons and trophies. I think around 30,000.But not sure.
d6cattleman

As has been said . . . very hard for a PB steer to win, especially a british breed. That is why we have cross-breds. That being said, our PB Murray Grey steer took out a royal show hoof and hook a few years ago. But usually if a winner isnt crossed its euro.

I'm an Angus breeder and Angus do their fair shair winning at all shows up here, but just to clear up any confusion here is what really happened. The Jr Ag Showcase is a 4-H show so we're not talking about anything major or spectacular here for cattle.

The Grand Champion steer was not 3/5 angus he was atleast half maine, especially based on how flat made he was. He was prettier than most of the heifers in the barn, but there wasn't near enough steer there to win. The Reserve was half red angus and simmental and was way to big, but they shurnk him down from 1500 lbs to just over 1425 for the show.

The steer that Matt Fleury showed two years ago that was Grand had some limo in him to give him a little more muscle. He was bought out of SLS by Justin Muirhead for Mike. They don't really know exactly what and how much of each breed was in that steer.
Oh and the female show was a farce, an Angus cow should have won, but not that won. I'll leave it at that.

Sorry about the screw ups with the steers... I thought that matt was showing a Blacklock steer... maby e it was this year he did, but anyways, I know for a fact that the supreme cow was angus. Krista Dust owns and shows her... She went supreme, and had Champion cow/calf pair. Ifyou wont take my word for it, call her up, and she'll set ya straight. ;-)

I also thought that the Reserve steer was too big... earlier in the show they said that the ideal weight is 1175-1350, and if it's over or under it, the steer wouldnt take it.The styeer looked overfat, but I guess when the judge makes up his mind, then you can't change it. lol

The female judge was exceptional, especially with the angus class. Kelsy's heifer was int he bottom chunk, and if you looked at it, you could see it... she was more of a prettier heifer, and the top 3 were debatable, but (I think it was Amanda Hamilton, but Im not sure) her heifer was very, very solid.