Here's a MG bull to critique

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
Here's an updated photo of our bull, Cappucino. He's a tad over 32 months. Opinions?

Cattle_Tallangatta_010.JPG

The only thing wrong with him is he's not out in the pasture with my cows. Of course with no hair and all gussied up like that they might run him off, pretty or not.

Seriously nice Bull. I like him a lot.

Keren-

Phenotypically he is a fine, well balanced bull. I am not familiar with the breed characteristics of MG's, so perhaps this critique doesn't apply in fact, however, he appears, IN THIS PICTURE, to be a little short-rumped from hooks to pins, and his pasterns seem a little weak. Is he a frame score of about 4.7 or 4.8? Had he been confined to a stall, primarily, prior to this picture being taken?

DOC HARRIS

I'd be interested to know his weight . I suspect he is heavier than he appears and because he is so well put together gives the appearance of being small .
Have you got calves by him ? if yes how are they ?

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Goddy, he is about 1070kg which according to google is 2354 lbs. Yes we have calves from him, and we are very happy with them. I may be out again this weekend so I might see if I can get some photos of them. They are thick, stout little calves and structurally correct. Two heifers by him are going to be part of our melbourne show team at the end of this year.

Doc, thanks for your critique. Actually, you made me go out and look twice at him. But I can say (without being barn-blind) that I believe the short rump is a fault of the photo. In saying that, I'm not saying he's perfect. In fact, the two main faults I see in him is that he does cut in slightly behind the shoulder, and he is a fraction toed-out in the front feet. He would be a frame score 6.8, Previous to this photo he has been in a half-acre bull paddock, which has very soft soil and not a lot of opportunity for his feet to wear naturally. They are a tad long and I think that is what gives the illusion of being weak in the pasterns. Although I dont condone foot trimming to correct faults, I dont mind it when the feet are simply long in situations where they havent been able to naturally wear down, and I believe with a bit of a trim he would stand up on those legs a bit better.

Putangitangi, yes it was stinking hot on Saturday, but that is a pretty good representation of where they are normally (cept on cold frosty mornings lol)

Pine Creek Ranch, frame score 6.8. He is by the bull Waverley Sarpedon (the Waverley stud is now dispersed) and out of a cow, Woodburn Cupid, from the Woodburn Stud in Tasmania.

Sorry if I missed answering anyone's questions!

Beautiful bull Keren! I was surprised at the frame score - I would have guessed a 5; must be the angle of the photo.

Do you have a GeneStar score on him?

Keren,

Very nice bull. He doesn't leave a lot to be desired. He does fall off just a bit behind his shoulders. It's nice to see a Angus influenced bull with a hind quarter like that. The picture doesn't allow a full critique of his rear quarter. But, from what I can see, it looks to be quite sufficient. He's got nice length and muscling...simply a very good bull.

What have his calves been weighing at birth? He didn't appear to have such a large frame score in the picture as well. When you said his weight was 2,300 lbs, I thought "Didn't know one could put that kind of weight on such a small frame". Again, may be the angle of the picture. Also, what's the average size of your cow herd?

EC

OKJeane, no we havent tested him yet. His sire is very well ranked for both marbling and tenderness, I believe he is one of the highest ranking bulls in Australia and funnily enough, someone told us the other day that he is in the top two percent of the breed's EBVs, even though we are not in breedplan! Obviously, he is still being ranked with progeny from other people's herds. So I image this bull would test quite well.

East Caney, his calves have been between 35 and 40 kilos, which is 77 to 88 lbs. They have all been born without problems, and they were out of some heifers as well as cows.

Our cows would be range between 5.5 and 7.0, but most of them would be around 6.5. We have recently been culling anything over 7.0. We have kept one bull who is FS 7.0 to put over some of the smaller cows.

Keren
I'd like to see a photo from a better angle. Also, do you have an actual measurement of him at the pins, and possibly tail to poll measurement?

Nice looking bull Keren.
I've just found this thread, having been otherwise occupied to check in for a few weeks. Good to see an MG bull getting some appreciative comments.

I have just looked up his sires breeding . Whilst W. Sarpendon appears on the sire list, having 91 recorded progeny and at least 75% accuracy for growth traits I cannot see where he is a trait leader anywhere, not in the 2008 summer Breedplan list anyway.
Do you know which W.Cupid he is out of?

He's a good looking bull. And a big one at that. Who ever he ate earlier is doing their best to crawl out. He has made it half the way out and hope he got out the rest of the way safely!
:shock: Chuckie