Here's a black bull for ya.

Help Support CattleToday:

RD-Sam

Reaction score
Looks pretty good, who is he? How old is he in the pic? Got a registration number? I like to see the numbers. :lol2:

sooknortex":3fbxdj1l said:
Click his link on this page:

http://www.ohldecattle.com/sired.html

Heard they sold a bull this week in their sale for $250,000 for 1/2 interest.

'Course that's just another number.

This to me is what an Angus bull should look like.

That one would be tough for me to try and market any offspring for sale. He looks good, but his EPD doesn't. Pharo might get away with marketing offspring from him, but I couldn't.

I don't go for the biggest and fastest growth. What I look for are correct phenotype, a well balanced EPD, and a solid line behind it, as well as the quality of the meat.

What good is the best phenotype in the world if you loose $60 a head at market?

We used him a few years back. Bred him to 30 cows. Only kept 5 heifers out of him, and they haven't produced anything decent. All the bulls were banded and sent to the feedlot. Never again will I use him. And we culled based on appearance.

Maybe those EPD's mean something after all. :lol2:

RD-Sam":1y61849e said:
Maybe those EPD's mean something after all. :lol2:
Haha, when they looked that bad we didn't even check EPDs before they got sent to the feedlot.

Yea, but if you would have paid attention to the bulls EPD to start with, you might have avoided the whole situation. :nod:

If he is as big as he looks I'd be worried about which cows I could use them on. He's big but his birth weight isn't too bad but 'd still be inclined to use below average birth weight bulls on heifers... Something about him isn't tidy though, his flank is too high for me I think. Something more like Broadside is my cup of tea.
http://www.ohldecattle.com/assets/sire/ ... e876b.html

RD-Sam":202vr71l said:
Yea, but if you would have paid attention to the bulls EPD to start with, you might have avoided the whole situation. :nod:
As the description on the bull said, "He will continue to be the best bull in the breed to change large framed, lighter muscled and structurally incorrect cattle. He even outperforms his sire, 6807, in this ability. Anchor daughters are moderate framed, very efficient females with great versatility in any breeding program. They have the ability to improve cow herd efficiency through reduced feed costs while maintaining production. The udder quality of the Anchor daughters is excellent. From a carcass standpoint, Anchor will add muscle and improve marbling and percent retail product. Despite his depth and volume, Anchor exhibits a negative fat EPD."
So we thought, well we'll give him a try. We strive for moderate framed animals. The EPDs were a little low on WW and YW, but his milk was what we needed to bring down some of our +25 cows. Jokes on us. Like I said we only kept 5 heifers as replacements and they haven't produced anything great yet. :roll:

What has been working for you? That is what I am trying to produce, moderate framed females that are efficient.

RD-Sam":1crm20en said:
What has been working for you? That is what I am trying to produce, moderate framed females that are efficient.
Oh man, we have such a hodge podge of genetics in our Angus herd right now. We used OCC Magnitude on a couple cows last year, got some really thick (for angus) heifers out of him, about a frame size 5 or so which was a little on the small size (we like 5.5-6). We also used Dr. J Analyst but he's positive for AM and Hydro, so I don't know what will come of those calves, which is a shame because they're looking decent. We've used EXT and Northern Improvement also.
This year we're going to blanket breed the cows to an Emblazon son who just came out on the market, but I can't remember exactly who it is (I'm at school, breeding books are at home) and Connealy Industry. To the heifers, we're gonna try Mytty In Focus.

Not that I've noticed. We had a Northern Improvement cow chase my sister up the fence and not let her down tho (funny sight, the cow didn't bother me at all, I stood there scratching her :lol: ). We haven't had any of our angus cows being particularly nasty, just the snort and head shake, but its over with once we get out a stick.

Meadowoaksfarm":2hdwnkpw said:
Just when you think that the level of ignorance on this site cannot rise any higher, you get a thread like this. :)
What's that supposed to mean?

I have spent over an hour attempting to phrase my thoughts to the responses to this thread in such a manner that it would not exacerbate into another three page reply and cause angst to those who STILL don't seem to be able to understand the compilation of given statistics (EPD's, Phenotype con-FIRM-ations, $Profit totals ) in the serious business of Beef Cattle Management protocols.

The conclusions at which I have arrived have convinced me that to expound upon PROVEN FACTS to any further degree than what has already been attempted is a waste of my time, effort and energies. A very wise man once said "There are none so deaf or none so blind as those who listen - but DO NOT HEAR, or look - but DO NOT SEE!" Those words are never more profound than that which is displayed by SOME members of this Forum in the conversations involving Beef Bull Seedstock Selections.

By concentrating on PHENOTYPE only, we practice "Single Trait" selection, which is an exercise in futility! The obvious success of the Ohlde Breeding Program is proof in itself that a balanced selection protocol is the financially accepted method of thinking and performing. Those who are intelligent enough to "See" the light, and "Hear" the results will benefit. Those who turn a deaf ear and a blind eye to facts are the one's who will find themselves wondering how the world passed them by!

The EPD's of OCC Anchor 771A perhaps will not entice breeder's to think the bottom line is "Profit Oriented" at first blush. And therin lies the problem - in most cases. "First Blush" is similar to "Single Trait Selection", in that it precludes extensive thinking (or - perhaps ANY thinking) and encourages impetuosity and rashness, instead of following through with a goal in mind - that of PROFIT - after ALL factors are taken into consideration.

It is a matter of stating the obvious to mention that successful breeders such as Gardner, Pharro, Three Trees, Express Ranches, Stevenson, Sandpoint, Akers Farm, and too many others to mention have just, in recent years, moved to ameliorate their breeding program to include the Genetics that incorporate those commensurable with those of OCC Anchor 771A. Coincidence?? Accidental?? I don't THINK so!

Deliberate?? You can bet the Farm on it!! But - - what do they know?

DON'T GET ME STARTED!

DOC HARRIS

And which part of Anchor's genetics is it that you think these ranches have chosen in hopes to make better their program? And did they use Anchor to your knowledge? And exactly which bull or females have stood out in any of their breeding programs out of his genetics, if any?

Latest posts