Herefords

Help Support CattleToday:

denvermartinfarms":1jgkd3oo said:
Your talking Polled Herefords right?

Well, horns will get you docked 20 to 40 cents a pound, so by this reasoning horned Herefords will get you docked 40 to 80 cents a pound. The sale price has nothing to do with skinny azz, leggy, shallow POS's. I usually don't pay much attention to this kind of post, but lots of :bs: :bs: flying here. A "good Hereford may get knocked a nickel from a good black but not 20 to 40 cents.

:tiphat:

Alan":399a4bub said:
denvermartinfarms":399a4bub said:

Well, horns will get you docked 20 to 40 cents a pound, so by this reasoning horned Herefords will get you docked 40 to 80 cents a pound. The sale price has nothing to do with skinny azz, leggy, shallow POS's. I usually don't pay much attention to this kind of post, but lots of :bs: :bs: flying here. A "good Hereford may get knocked a nickel from a good black but not 20 to 40 cents.

Alan I hope you aren't getting upset with my post because I am not downing Hereford cattle I am telling you how they sell here. I am in blk Angus country. I wish sale reports reported by breed.

Alan,

I sure you're familiar with MrVictoDomino from here on CT aren't you? We all agree he has outstanding Hereford cattle right?

In the fall of 2012 we bought 15 Hereford cows from him as well as a young bull. Through my own negligence I allowed the bull to run with the cows foolishly thinking he wasn't quite old enough to effectively breed them.

Well I was WRONG! Lol! He got about 10 of them settled before we realized it.

The results were a small crop of dandy Hereford calves that all took a 20 cent per pound dock at sale time.

Like Sky, I am in black hide country like it or not.

I intend to continue to add to our Hereford herd and I want to add some Red Angus cows when the time comes but for sale barn purposes I'll keep a black bull on them.

Alan":2kg0t3dw said:
denvermartinfarms":2kg0t3dw said:

I was just asking what kind of cows he was looking at and seeing worth the money. I assumed they were polled because that's most of what's around anymore.

Alan, here a good Hereford polled or horned will get docked 5 to 10$, but I have bought feeder cattle a few hundred miles east of here, and they do get docked 40$ for fine quality Herefords, in some areas a good yellow calf or char will be 25$ behind blacks.

denvermartinfarms":2tz3suv9 said:
Alan":2tz3suv9 said:
denvermartinfarms":2tz3suv9 said:

I was just asking what kind of cows he was looking at and seeing worth the money. I assumed they were polled because that's most of what's around anymore.

DMF if you were asking me the polled is what I see at the salebarn most often if it has horns they will be docked a lil more.

I'll concede it must be a regional thing. If you take two identical steers to the market, same weight, same amount of muscle and the same potential carcass development only one was black and one was a herf. If the herf truly gets docked $20 cwt for it's hide I wouldn't own a herf cow. If you have a true polled herd of black cows I would buy a herf bull, if your herd is truly polled it would not matter if the bull was horned or not. I still feel it is easier to find a good horn herf than a good polled herf, but polled Herfs are catching up.

Here my steers take about a $5 hit (Herfs) another $5 if I get horns. But mine and other Herfs at the sale have out sold plenty of black hides cattle in the past.

Alan":2rvmebn0 said:
I'll concede it must be a regional thing. If you take two identical steers to the market, same weight, same amount of muscle and the same potential carcass development only one was black and one was a herf. If the herf truly gets docked $20 cwt for it's hide I wouldn't own a herf cow. If you have a true polled herd of black cows I would buy a herf bull, if your herd is truly polled it would not matter if the bull was horned or not. I still feel it is easier to find a good horn herf than a good polled herf, but polled Herfs are catching up.

Here my steers take about a $5 hit (Herfs) another $5 if I get horns. But mine and other Herfs at the sale have out sold plenty of black hides cattle in the past.

I'm convinced that part of the problem at the sale barn we frequent is that there just aren't enough other Hereford calves coming through to put a decent pot load together which I guess impacts their value.

I love my Herefords and I'm looking forward to seeing the baldies they produce for us in the future.

TennesseeTuxedo":2i9u0kfk said:
Alan":2i9u0kfk said:

I'm convinced that part of the problem at the sale barn we frequent is that there just aren't enough other Hereford calves coming through to put a decent pot load together which I guess impacts their value.

I love my Herefords and I'm looking forward to seeing the baldies they produce for us in the future.

sale barn here we may get 15-25 herfs a week.

i see 1 common theme here.you guys are talking about how much herefords get docked .20 to .40 a lb.but think for a minute the guys buying them at yalls so called discounts are the 1s picking up the money that seller lost.because they know what feeders will pay top dolloar for those calves.

bigbull338":2wyy077r said:
i see 1 common theme here.you guys are talking about how much herefords get docked .20 to .40 a lb.but think for a minute the guys buying them at yalls so called discounts are the 1s picking up the money that seller lost.because they know what feeders will pay top dolloar for those calves.

Either that or they are going to do what I am talking about and have black baldies ;-) :cowboy:

I sell at Lynchburg. Breed preference is largely a regional thing. Hereford cattle as a straight breed will do far better out west the same way Brahma influence cattle do better in the south. These guys buying these cattle are not hobby farmers this is their business and they want to make money. Maximizing profit is about maximizing performance and the best way to do that with a Hereford in this area is to cross it. Those baldie calves bring the most money because they are usually the slickest,calmest,best conditioned calves in the barn. If you can get a breed going that will consistently gain 4lbs. a day on wheat straw they will buy them if they are purple polka dotted. If brood cows are priced right and will raise a good calf then I would buy it. I buy on quality not color. :2cents:

SmokinM":1fojnda9 said:
If brood cows are priced right and will raise a good calf then I would buy it. I buy on quality not color. :2cents:
Me too! I think I have atleast 1 of every kind of cow they is. But all my cows are good calf raisers.

When I started I bought what my friend had I have basically bought all my cattle from him except bulls only cause he didn't have any to sell to me. Now that he is getting out of the business I will buy at sale barn or special sales. I am also getting some Holstein calves for the kids and my grandmother to raise so my pastures will have several breeds.

I have my angus and brangus cattle running with a hereford bull. The calves are coming out quite nice. Not sure how they will sell, but this mix produces great calves. I think I will stick to breeding these for a while and keep some of the baldy heifers. Ill run those blk baldies with an angus or brangus bull for the next go around, see what that brings me. Any suggestions for my baldy heifers?

highgrit":1z35rft6 said:
Somethings make no sense, we're going to wean a larger calf that will grow faster in a feedlot. But worth less I need to see this for myself.

A larger calf selling at a lower price per pound can still = higher NET profit.
Same with a feeders steers.
White faced fat cattle almost never ever ring the bell around here on sale day...BUT...NET profit may still be as high
or higher as the bell ringers.
It takes good record keeping to know for sure...however record keeping is often a short coming of many a farmer.

Son of Butch":13fch63g said:
highgrit":13fch63g said:
Somethings make no sense, we're going to wean a larger calf that will grow faster in a feedlot. But worth less I need to see this for myself.

White faced fat cattle almost never ever ring the bell around here on sale day...BUT...NET profit may still be as high
It takes good record keeping to know for sure...however record keeping is often a short coming of many a farmer.

Where are you located Son of Butch?

TennesseeTuxedo":1ehsdogr said:
Son of Butch":1ehsdogr said:
highgrit":1ehsdogr said:

And some are tempted to use CRAP accounting methods.

Where are you located Son of Butch?

Son of Butch":14vy5hjf said:
however record keeping is often a short coming of many a farmer.

I keep records of my records. :lol2:

It truly amazes me how people register on here and SKIP over LOCATION.... Lazyness... It also would appear there is many a farmer that do not completely read or follow directions well. :shock:

Latest posts