Herefords

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

What is the best type of bull to breed to polled hereford cattle to get calves that will sell on the market?

i would recommend angus or brangus. i prefer brangus great heifers black baldies. there are other blacks tp be considered.

I suggest just breed them back to a hereford. Herefords are so genlte & pretty & have the best tasting beef ever. Or you could breed them to an Angus but the Angus's wild side could come out in the calves. But the black baldies are nice too.
Bye! :D

You sound like JohnS. It all depends on the animal whether or not an Angus will be wild we have some straight bred angus cows that you can walk up to and pet...

Well that is true, it is according to how you train them on how tame they are. :roll: But heck you can't say herefords aren't more docile then Angus. :D We show hereford, when it comes to lead breaking we have sometimes wait up till the week before show to break them & they tame down within a coouple of days, but some of the other people who have angus they've been working them since they started and still haven't tamed down. They are always the first to kick not saying a hereford won't but you really have to tick a hereford off for it to kick you! :lol:
BYE! :D

brangus, the calves will bring good money, most will be black baldies or black mottle face, heifers will sell extremely well, they make great replacements.

I'm guessing that you could stand to have a little more muscle expression in the cattle if they are purebred Polled Herefords. I would encourage you to breed them to a Limousin, Simmental or Gelbvieh bull.

Since black calves are bringing premiums in most parts of the country I would encourage you to use a homozygous black bull from one of these breeds. The resulting calves will be black baldies. Many feeders will pay premiums for black baldies since they are eligible for either the Certified Angus Beef or Certified Hereford Beef programs.

In general Gelbviehs and Simmentals also have good dispositions so you should be able to maintain the gentleness of your cattle by using either one of these breeds.

T

I agree with Indiana Gary, the calves that buyers want most of the time are continental breeds (simmental, limousin, charolais, etc.) crossed with brittish breeds (herford, angus, shorthorn, and south devon). Reason being continetal breeds produce high muscling which is good but at the same time the meat supposedly does not marble as well as the brittish breeds. Although the brittish breeds do marble well, they are not usually as well muscled and that's why buyers want the crosses. In agreement with Indiana Gary on using black, but you could use a charolais and get some excellent calves that will sell well too. If you go black I would stay with limousin or simmental, brangus are good too if you don't mind a little ear.

Around here those "poor muscled" british breeds out sell those "heavy muscled" continental breeds.

dun

Ellie_May":3oicxrnx said:
Well that is true, it is according to how you train them on how tame they are. :roll: But heck you can't say herefords aren't more docile then Angus. :D We show hereford, when it comes to lead breaking we have sometimes wait up till the week before show to break them & they tame down within a coouple of days, but some of the other people who have angus they've been working them since they started and still haven't tamed down. They are always the first to kick not saying a hereford won't but you really have to tick a hereford off for it to kick you! :lol:
BYE! :D

Let's forget the breed issue here and look at this from another angle. Our county fair rules committee made participation in a spring preshow mandatory as a prerequisite to being allowed to enter, show, and sell a market steer at the fair in the fall. Q: Why? A: To protect all entrants (ages 8-21) from the unruly, unpredictable animals that had been roped the week before the fair and dragged behind a tractor a couple hours and called broke-to-lead. Many animals have a disposition that would let you 'lead' them with only a week's work, but you could not possibly have the animal ready to respond to a show-stick to its full potential. Our kids calves are placed by a total index score that includes: Average score from 3 judges (includes a commercial cattleman, a purebred operator, and a feedlot operator) in a live show = 25%; Average daily gain = 25%; Carcass data on loin eye and backfat from a sonoray = 50%. To have a chance to win the competition, you must be able to properly show your animal. An animal that has only been worked a week or so is also going to be more unpredictable and potentially unruly. Unruly animals can be disqualified and removed, not to mention that if your wild animal should happen to hurt one of my grandkids, then we have a whole new set of problems that a rules committee couldn't begin to help you with! If you don't have the time or are not willing to do it right, to 'unquote' Nike, then just don't do it!

dun":1cjzdmth said:
Around here those "poor muscled" british breeds out sell those "heavy muscled" continental breeds.

dun

same in our area. unless those "heavy muscled" continental breeds are disguised as those "poor muscled" british breeds, i.e. black sim, lm, maine, etc they are docked at the ring. even the evident crosses as was suggested are docked. anything w/a blaze face (not white face), stockings or paint marks bring lower prices.

but for REAL, hide color doesn't grade, they are several breeds that aren't solid colored but grade as well as british breeds.

txag":1yvmft68 said:
dun":1yvmft68 said:

dun

same in our area. unless those "heavy muscled" continental breeds are disguised as those "poor muscled" british breeds, i.e. black sim, lm, maine, etc they are docked at the ring. even the evident crosses as was suggested are docked. anything w/a blaze face (not white face), stockings or paint marks bring lower prices.

But because they can be docked for not being black, they generally are.

dun

If you are in the deep south I would use a Black Brangus Bull , If not , a little more north I would use a Black angus bull to raise F-1 crosses (Black Baldies)..You would have the best mother cows.. On the F-1's you would have many choices, #1 use a Black Angus Bull, #2 use a Black Brangus Bull, #3 use a Black Balancer Bull, or Use a Simm, Limm, Or and Terminal cross Sire..to sale the calves at the sale barn.

How about a brahman bull. One of the hottest crosses going right now in Texas is the F-1 Tigerstripe or braford cross. They make some of the best moma cows around. The only down side is that the steers may not sell as strong but the Brahman breeders are now banding together to help sell these steers at better prices. The heifers on the other hand sell themselves.

Don't know what part of the country you are from, but up here in Montana black and black baldy are probably the top selling heifers their is. I had a hereford herd which over 40 years I tried to breed back to everything (simmental, charolais,even limousin). None proved out to be as good a cow as an angus/hereford X-- black baldy. For that reason I bought a load of good hereford cows, which I breed to low birthweight angus bulls (old and lazy and hate calving problems- nothing jumps up as fast as an angus baby) and save the heifer calves out of these as replacements. I don't think their is a better momma cow than an old black baldy.

Latest posts