Herefords out sell Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

farmwife

Reaction score
Herefords Outsell Angus in VBPA Stocker Feeder Sale
Bidding was aggressive for Hereford lots during the 15th Annual Vermont Beef Producers Association (VPBA) spring stocker feeder sale on May 5. The sale included 267 head and grossed just shy of $155,000.

According to an article by the Vermont Agency of Agriculture the number of pens containing Hereford cattle out sold similar pens of Angus cattle. The article said, “In recent years we have noticed a spring sale trend of a declining spread between Angus and Hereford cattle. It appears as though there may be a ‘niche’ for Herefords at turn out time. Whether for beef or breeding purposes, the Hereford breed has made an important contribution to the commercial cattle industry and the VBPA spring sale appears to be a good place to sell them.”

The high-selling lot of Hereford steers averaged 342 lb. and sold for $1.26/lb. Of the cattle weighing more than 600 lb. the top selling group was a group of Hereford steers that brought $1.19/lb.

I sold two Commercial pair this last tuesday. Prices were overall down, but my two pairs averaged $1050. They were close to the top for pairs. The hereford cross calves were selling really well as well. It's like I said to a friend of mine, herefords, in my opinion, are the most marketable of all cattle. Yellow baldie and black baldie are at the top of the market pretty much nation wide, and CHB sales have received good turn outs and good premiums. In the south tigerstripes and brafords are doing very well, the baldie premium is a profitable thing. I, like many hereford breeders, are excited about the future.

Frankie":l6yyzibk said:
"Herefords Outsell Angus in VBPA Stocker Feeder Sale"

An interesting headline, but not exactly accurate. Apparently you missed that the high selling pen of cattle weighing less than 600 pounds was a pen of Angus heifers?

The sale report is at the bottom of this link:

http://www.vermontagriculture.com/5-11- ... ew.pdf.pdf
It is useless to resist us. Repeat again, :arrow: Angus is the best breed...Angus is the best.....

CowpokeJ,

Nice try, but Frankie was just telling you "the rest of the story". I am sure you would have done the same thing to her if the shoe had been on the other foot.

Farmwife's Report came from the AHA, released in their Hereford E-News e-mail:

Quoting the actual report from the link provided by Frankie:

The high selling pen of
cattle weighing fewer than 600
lbs was Pen 5, a group of 300-
400 lbs Angus heifers fetching a
handsome $1.36/lb. Of the cattle
weighing over 600 lbs, Pen 73,
600-700 lb Hereford steers were
tops at $1.19/lb.
A major point of interest at
this sale was the number of pens
containing Hereford cattle that
out sold similar groups of Angus
cattle. Bidding was extremely
aggressive for the Herefords
which made up less than 15% of
the total sale offering. In recent
years, we have noticed a spring
sale trend of a declining spread
between the Angus and Hereford
cattle. It appears as though there
may be a “niche” for Herefords
at turn out time. Whether for
beef or breeding purposes the
Hereford breed has made an
important contribution to the
commercial cattle industry and
the VBPA spring sale appears to
be a good place to sell them.

Give us a break, frankie! :lol: We'll grab on to any good news we can find! :cboy:

Of course we know that the AAA would NEVER put out any press release or propaganda that didn't tell the WHOLE story! :p :roll:

George

are you implying Frankie would resort to 1/2 truths and skewed information to push those black things?? :roll: :roll:
golly what is the world coming to!! :D

memanpa":jmxlj7e8 said:
are you implying Frankie would resort to 1/2 truths and skewed information to push those black things?? :roll: :roll:

Actually, I was poking more fun at the AHA and their press release than I was at frankie.

Let's see - a sale of 267 head in which Herefords were less than 15% (30 head, give or take one or two?). In most auction markets in Texas, 30 head wouldn't even be enough to be considered a good "test" of how a particular sector is doing.

A really poor attempt at propagandizing in a slow "news" time, in MNTBHO.

George

Herefords.US":1k7ojtuq said:
memanpa":1k7ojtuq said:

Actually, I was poking more fun at the AHA and their press release than I was at frankie.

Let's see - a sale of 267 head in which Herefords were less than 15% (30 head, give or take one or two?). In most auction markets in Texas, 30 head wouldn't even be enough to be considered a good "test" of how a particular sector is doing.

A really poor attempt at propagandizing in a slow "news" time, in MNTBHO.

George

I think any good news for the Hereford breed is worth repeating. I just pointed out the headline is a bit misleading. And I was nice enough not to mention the small number of Herefords sold.

I was at a sale last week that had several sets of young pairs for sale- some were full herd dispersions....The young red angus and red angus/Simmi cross's sold for $1380-- a traders put together bunch of black angus sold for $1350...The Hereford pairs brought $980.... :roll:

Herefords.US":otevds40 said:
Farmwife's Report came from the AHA, released in their Hereford E-News e-mail:

Quoting the actual report from the link provided by Frankie:

The high selling pen of
cattle weighing fewer than 600
lbs was Pen 5, a group of 300-
400 lbs Angus heifers fetching a
handsome $1.36/lb. Of the cattle
weighing over 600 lbs, Pen 73,
600-700 lb Hereford steers were
tops at $1.19/lb.
A major point of interest at
this sale was the number of pens
containing Hereford cattle that
out sold similar groups of Angus
cattle. Bidding was extremely
aggressive for the Herefords
which made up less than 15% of
the total sale offering. In recent
years, we have noticed a spring
sale trend of a declining spread
between the Angus and Hereford
cattle. It appears as though there
may be a “niche” for Herefords
at turn out time. Whether for
beef or breeding purposes the
Hereford breed has made an
important contribution to the
commercial cattle industry and
the VBPA spring sale appears to
be a good place to sell them.

Give us a break, frankie! :lol: We'll grab on to any good news we can find! :cboy:

Of course we know that the AAA would NEVER put out any press release or propaganda that didn't tell the WHOLE story! :p :roll:

George

CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG! maybe we the Hereford breeders and the Black Angus breeders can meet halfway. I don't know, maybe develope a cross between the breeds, black white face, we can call it a black.... baldy, maybe even develope a Black Hereford. Then we can all live in utopia! :lol: :p

Alan

1.26 for 3 weight calves make me think small auction and poor selection. I just attended a feeder auction [over 2000 head] and choice 350 pound calves brought in the 150's.

Here in Central California any black beef calf sells well I been going to the Auctions this month and have seen buyers in action paying more for black hided calves then others but others where doing okay as well

I think the headline said Stocker Feeders.

I suspect the Angus heifers were for breeding.

Apples to apples.

Badlands

Herefords.US":lapjvu10 said:
Frankie":lapjvu10 said:
I think any good news for the Hereford breed is worth repeating.

First Vermont.....then the nation, frankie! :lol:

George

Thanks George. You are correct.

Hereford bull sales are increasing here in the state of VERMONT. As I have mentioned before, red cattle are increasing in popularity & price and closing the gap on the black cattle.

My boss purchased a Hereford bull last spring and we have some incredible red calves on the ground ( and more coming ).

Latest posts