Herefords? (Newbie Selecting cattle for small herd)

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I'm new and pretty green when it comes to cattle somewhat. I grew up on a farm and the only cattle I've been around are Polled Herefords and Crosses of Herefords and Angus, since that is what my grandfather used to raise before selling them all shortly before passing away. I'm teaching and coaching right now but I want to start a small herd on the side, say around 15-20 and was wondering what type of cattle to start with. Should I just buy a few cheap crossbreeds to start out with? I have a friend who will sell me some of his cattle. He has a few herefords and lots of black/white face cattle and some other crossbreeds. What should I choose? I ultimately want to end up in a few years with a majority of Polled Herefords and some black/white face crosses. Partly sentimental, partly because I just like the looks of herefords. Can anyone tell me the advantages/disadvantages of Herefords? Any info is appreciated.

Start out with a commercial program, and see if it suits your first. That way you are not committed to your investment and can get out just as easily. Go to the local sale barns and watch the type of calves that consistantly sell the best, and make your selections for phenotype based on those. I would say your are limited by how much land you have available, and by you stating 15 to 20, I would guess you are limited. Best use or land vs cattle might be a temporary or seasonal program where you buy at 300 to 400 weight, put 300 to 400 lbs on them, then sale them back. That way you will have use of the land for the rest of the year to cut hay or just let it recover. Buy in the fall, sell in the spring, winter them on winter grass with hay supplement. "typically", you will do better at the sale barn with a black hide, but not always. If you consider a cow calf operation, then it will be hard to pay for itself with just 15 to 20 head, but the English, and or continental cross should do well where you are.

1848":351b0ihr said:
Start out with a commercial program, and see if it suits your first. That way you are not committed to your investment and can get out just as easily. Go to the local sale barns and watch the type of calves that consistantly sell the best, and make your selections for phenotype based on those. I would say your are limited by how much land you have available, and by you stating 15 to 20, I would guess you are limited. Best use or land vs cattle might be a temporary or seasonal program where you buy at 300 to 400 weight, put 300 to 400 lbs on them, then sale them back. That way you will have use of the land for the rest of the year to cut hay or just let it recover. Buy in the fall, sell in the spring, winter them on winter grass with hay supplement. "typically", you will do better at the sale barn with a black hide, but not always. If you consider a cow calf operation, then it will be hard to pay for itself with just 15 to 20 head, but the English, and or continental cross should do well where you are.
Thanks for the reply! I'm sticking with around 15-20 head at first before I find more ground to rent or if I have any success. I think i'll take your advice and start out commercially. I've always heard that black does better when you go to sell. I think i might mix it up a bit and then see if I want too get into having a herd of registered polled herefords. As far as ground goes I'm sort of limited. I've got 80 acres of good grassland with a nice pond, and the pasture is connected to a 5acre feedlot with good bunks, pen, chutes, etc. through a pathway under a hiway. I also that feedlot opens up to 300acres of crop ground that is 180acres irrigated/120 dryland is rotated with wheat,soybeans,corn, plus there's numerous waterways to bale. I think last year the farmer who rents it got 30 bales off of the farm. I'm somewhat limited but I think i've got a good place to start with.

I couldn't think of a better breed to start off from than herefords, as a whole they are the most easy going animals out there. Plus you have a number of options, baldy calves will sell as good as anything you can raise, and if you want to raise replacements, you can use any number of breeds (angus, simmi, gelp, etc) to produce pretty much an ideal cow in my eyes.

cfpinz

Sounds like you could do better with a 4 to 1 ration (acre vs animal) based on what you've stated. Many stockers will over stock if it is going to be temporary. If you can afford it, I would go with 50 on winter forage (should cover your expenses), sell them come March April, then cut hay the rest of the year to cover winter feeding for the next group starting in October.

cfpinz":3mti93w6 said:
I couldn't think of a better breed to start off from than herefords, as a whole they are the most easy going animals out there. Plus you have a number of options, baldy calves will sell as good as anything you can raise, and if you want to raise replacements, you can use any number of breeds (angus, simmi, gelp, etc) to produce pretty much an ideal cow in my eyes.cfpinz

Can't argue with that!..that is if you go cow/calf :)

Latest posts