Herefords at Salebarn

Help Support CattleToday:

Campground Cattle

Reaction score
It looks like the market is shifting away from black in my area. My last two trips with calves my herefords have taken top dollar. Hereford calves today brought 1.25 a pound, Charolais did well also 1.17 to 1.22. Black calves 1.12 to 1.20 all the calves were in the 400 to 500 pound range. For the last few years I have averaged a nickel under the black calves. It looks as if the buyers aren't just looking for black hair anymore, at least in East Texas. Just wondering if any of ya'll are seeing a shift towards quality versus color.

I sure hope your right, i could never understand the advertiseing of Angus steaks. I've eating my share of steaks and for the life of me could i tell if the steak i ate was black or red with a white face.

If you don't mind me asking please tell me the name of the sale barn you frequent. TIA

Campground Cattle":tiidy0ej said:
It looks like the market is shifting away from black in my area. My last two trips with calves my herefords have taken top dollar. Hereford calves today brought 1.25 a pound, Charolais did well also 1.17 to 1.22. Black calves 1.12 to 1.20 all the calves were in the 400 to 500 pound range. For the last few years I have averaged a nickel under the black calves. It looks as if the buyers aren't just looking for black hair anymore, at least in East Texas. Just wondering if any of ya'll are seeing a shift towards quality versus color.

cherokeeruby":21zprl9e said:
If you don't mind me asking please tell me the name of the sale barn you frequent. TIA

Campground Cattle":21zprl9e said:

I sell at Woodville and Lufkin most of the time,sometimes Crockett. The barn at Crockett always pays well just 60 miles one way, not worth carrying a couple. If I have a trailer load I go to Crockett.
Now I think what we seeing this way that the ranchers over here put a black bull on anything that could moo. Brangus Angus or Limo they just were not producing quality calves, they thought black would cure their problems. It did for the last couple of years. The buyers have gotten smarter and are loking for quality no matter the color.

cherokeeruby":1ktk8b7v said:
That is what I suspect. They used to be called counterfeits.

The angus source-tag program is going to affect those "counterfeits" even more.

What hurts on the scale in LA more than to much ear which is an important issue is calves with unusal colors, they get hammered.

Arancher":2vk5vltc said:
What hurts on the scale in LA more than to much ear which is an important issue is calves with unusal colors, they get hammered.

Buyers hammer the calves out of ignorance or because they can. A British WhitexHereford is pretty colorful. I would have never considered the whites had we not had a large operation in my area, and they bring compeitive prices. The buyers have realized that this is a quality breed. The Whites cut out with very high percentages prime and choice.

i went to the sale yesterday, didn't see any calves sell, just cows, and the hereford cows were selling about as well as the black cows, everything was selling good if it wasn't part holstein

a good quality red or white calf will out sell a crappy black one any day of the week around here but a quality black animal will outsell any other color also. The buyers here bid for quality and run the price up on color.

Quality should alsways bring more than color. Around here the calves of equal quality, the angus will bring more. I think every rancher/farmer should spend a day or 2 watching cattle being weighed to see how the different breeds weigh up.

Latest posts