Herefords are the optimum breed

Help Support CattleToday:

Texan":3feipkhg said:
I'm not disputing your ADG numbers. Wasn't even asking about the gain aspect. My question was concerning the statement you made about Herefords being able to accomplish that gain with two pounds less feed per pound of gain. To me that seems like an awesome number. That's a question of feed efficiency, not gain.

By the way, I think we forgot to tell you- Welcome to the board! Hope you can take the time to register and join us more often!

Thanks. I've given away all the brochures etc. that I had to double check the feed efficiency. Please ask the association to give the info. I will say that whatever the exact number, the Herefords were the most efficient. I don't think it is a secret that they have been known for their efficiency for many years! Some of the data out there comes from the Clay Research Center in Nebraska(I believe I have the name and location right.) :)

Greenwillow, welcome to the boards.

I also raise herefords, polled and horned. I love the temperment. And my cattle seem to be easy doing. But to make such a bold statement about the gain that you did there should be info documented to back it up. These folks here like to have tangable facts.
Also, I believe that such remarks w/o proper facts only hurts the breed, not helps it. Herefords are making great strides in the industry, I agree.

One more thing, There is NO advertising on this forum. There is a free classified section.

Frankie":2m642evl said:
"Friends, I'm certainly not trying to be argumentive either, and I'm not going to say that it is impossible for me to make a mistake about "figgers" that I don't have in front of me at the moment."

That's why it's best to have the figures in front of you (with an internet link) before you start promoting your cattle.

"The industry average gain in the decade study at CSU was 2.9 pounds."

Where did that figure come from, please?

"Don't forget the fact that Hereford beef does not have to have as good a grade to still actually taste better than the USDA upper 2/3 Choice. The same is true of Angus, for that matter."

Taste is a personal thing. I prefer grain fed, high quality. Some people prefer lean, grass fed. But, bottom line, the packers pay more money for marbled beef. The last I knew, they based their grids on yield and quality grades. "Taste" didn't earn the producer a cent.

"I personally fed a show heifer for my son that gained over 3 pounds per day, and I believe steers should out-perform heifers. I culled this heifer because I felt her yearling weight was too small,"

While your claims of 6 lbs per day and feed conversion are impressive (though undocumented), they don't really mean much without some idea of the age of the bull, type of feed and feeding conditions. For example, if you're hand feeding a yearling bull by himself or with only one or two penmates that he's been around his entire life, he might gain better than if he has to compete with other bulls in an unfamiliar environment, or was a younger bull. Since you're right here in OK, home of one of the largest bull test stations in the US, let me suggest that you contact them and put some of your bulls on test. That way you will have something to back up your claims about average daily gain. Believe me, it's a learning experience ;-) Test results for several breeds of bulls can be found at http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/exten/OBI/test_results.htm. You might recognize some of the Hereford breeders who test their bulls at OBI.
I gave the name and location of the 6 pound gain bull owners earlier. their website is http://www.hoffmanherefords.com, and any contact info you need will be there if you would like to speak to them or write them. They are no fly-by night operation. As I said before, you can get a premium for Certified Hereford Beef which is a mix of SELECT and Choice. I'm going to have to leave for church before long, so good day.

"I gave the name and location of the 6 pound gain bull owners earlier. their website is http://www.hoffmanherefords.com, and any contact info you need will be there if you would like to speak to them or write them. They are no fly-by night operation. As I said before, you can get a premium for Certified Hereford Beef which is a mix of SELECT and Choice. I'm going to have to leave for church before long, so good day."

I don't seem to be able to access Hoffman's site??? But you're the one who put this info on the board, not Hoffmans. It's your responsibility to support your claims. Yes, CHB can be either Choice or Select and you can get a premium, IF the cattle meet the requirements. Here's a link to the USDA CHB requirements:
http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/certprog/beef/chb.htm
Be sure and click on the American Hereford Association (AHA) Live Animal Specs link there. It gives more info on which animals can be considered for CHB.

certherfbeef":i6ioocgr said:
Greenwillow, welcome to the boards.

I also raise herefords, polled and horned. I love the temperment. And my cattle seem to be easy doing. But to make such a bold statement about the gain that you did there should be info documented to back it up. These folks here like to have tangable facts.
Also, I believe that such remarks w/o proper facts only hurts the breed, not helps it. Herefords are making great strides in the industry, I agree.

One more thing, There is NO advertising on this forum. There is a free classified section.
I stand corrected. Thanks for the welcome. I will return forearmed with data next time. I stress, the folks at the American Hereford Ass. can supply the data from CSU, including the professor's name who was in charge of the study. Again, it should not be hard to find the website, http://www.herefordbeef.org As a Hereford breeder, I presume you receive the publication,Hereford World. If so, there have been many articles supporting the data I have given. I really must get off this computer in time for church!

I stand corrected. Thanks for the welcome. I will return forearmed with data next time. I stress, the folks at the American Hereford Ass. can supply the data from CSU, including the professor's name who was in charge of the study. Again, it should not be hard to find the website, http://www.herefordbeef.org As a Hereford breeder, I presume you receive the publication,Hereford World. If so, there have been many articles supporting the data I have given. I really must get off this computer in time for church!

Thank you greenwillow. Yes I do get the Hereford World, and I plan on checking out the site for your information. Have a good day

Latest posts