Hereford Yearling Bulls and Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

They look good. They have some substance and weight to them. The conformation looks good also. I'd like to see the dewlaps cleaned up a bit, but that will most likely improve with age. How close to a year are they?

I can't pick apart fine points, but they sure look like good doing cattle to me.
Where are you located?
What kind of ration?

No, they are all bred to the same bulls we use on the cows. We never have had to many issues doing this. Pulled a couple calves in the last few years, but nothing terrible. These heifers are bred to the bull we bought from Sandhill Farms last year, he is a Wonder x Progress.

The calves would be 10-11 months of age right now.

I am guessing she is around 1100lbs or so. We are trying to produce 1250-1300lb cows in a 5 frame. She will probably be on the high end of the weight and a 6 frame cow based on her dam.

These are the two bulls that the yearlings are out of. We also bought a bull from Sandhill Farms that is a wonder x Progress T148, that bred the heifers last year

WLB Bull 72y Bought from WLB herefords a couple years ago.

OCF Yahoo Y08 (home raised) SHF USA x A gerber bred cow

cmf1":3aorztpo said:
I can't pick apart fine points, but they sure look like good doing cattle to me.
Where are you located?
What kind of ration?

I am guessing he is Oak Creek Polled Herefords in Kansas, CMF1.

oakcreekfarms":3sf5tvjn said:
Some of our coming yearlings

And a 2 year old

The bull in the second photo looks like a carbon copy of the bull in the last photo you posted of the sires, very impressive. Thanks for sharing.

Yes I am 30 minutes north of Wichita ks. The calves were weaned Oct. 15, put on sorghum sudan/ wheat straw hay for a week. Then we introduced a creep textured feed. It is made up of pretty much equal parts soy hulls and corn, some cottonseed hulls, soy meal, and a mineral package. They have been eating around 12lbs a day, and that will quickly start to increase. We will allow these bulls to self feed up to 17lbs a day for a month then we will take them off the feeder and hand feed them down until we deliver the bulls to their new owners. With working a full time job free feeding allows me some extra time, we have hand fed twice a day before.

The bred heifers were all summered on a small paddock and fed brome hay and a little silage. We moved them to a different paddock in the fall and started feeding silage, DDG's and sorghum sudan hay. They haven't had any DDG's since middle of December. We will start everyone back on DDG feb 1st.