Hereford x Shorthorn

Help Support CattleToday:

sorry, to clear that up... I personally have a small herd of herefords; and my dad and grandpa own the majority of the herd. Their cattle are a little bit of everything. This affects my cattle because the bull that they purchase will affect my herd, because all of our cattle are bred to one bull, including mine. So, we were hoping to gain some milk in all of the cattle, including my herefords, if/when we keep some replacement heifers sired by the Shorthorn bull.
Unless you are running a dairy milk should be one of the least of your worries. A high milking cow is a hard keeping cow and will require
additional intake every time she calves. The quicker the calf becomes self sufficient with food intake the better for your bottom line.

Excellent!

Imagine going to a party where there's a punch bowl. As more people enjoy the punch there is the need to add some to the bowl. Instead of adding more of the same punch to replenish the bowl. It's refilled with an absolutely fabulous dark, imported beer because it is the hottest and trendiest thing going, so it must be good right? Someone from the party notices this and tells you that they are a big fan of XXX drink and they just can't get enough if it, so you add in a pint if XXX because that is what your guests want, right? Then another guest sees you adding the XXX and tells you that if people Luke XXX then they will absolutely go batflip crazy for YYY, so to keep your guests happy you add in a pint of YYY. Has to be good right? After all that is what your party attendees are wanting. And it goes on and on until you initially enjoyed punch has morphed itself into a barrel of swill and you wonder why people are leaving your party with a bad taste in their mouth.

Anyone see some similarities over the past 50 years with the punch (breed/s) that sed to be the life of their party?
Something might be said about the lack of genetic diversity going on in the industry too. When the top bull in any breed is siring a big percentage of the next generation's bulls, and those bulls are being bred back to their own sisters, mothers, and daughters... and it's happening every generation... even hybrid vigor doesn't work well. Especially when there are suddenly so many black bulls being "developed" in breeds not traditionally black.