hereford weight gain

Help Support CattleToday:

sporder

Reaction score
does anyone have advice or a link to average yearling weight for hereford heifers and steers. just got scales and weighed them and wanted to compare them to the average.

Herefords generally aren't the growthiest breed. I'd say 300# on weaning and 450-475# on yearling would be pretty stout.

April Fools.

BTW - Silly question, your management and environment have more to do with the WW and YW than genetics or breeds.

WichitaLineMan":3zb3wyx0 said:
Herefords generally aren't the growthiest breed. I'd say 300# on weaning and 450-475# on yearling would be pretty stout.

?????????????????????? Minitures?

Yea you got me. :lol:

April Fools.

BTW - Silly question, your management and environment have more to do with the WW and YW than genetics or breeds.

sporder":nz77fl3l said:
does anyone have advice or a link to average yearling weight for hereford heifers and steers. just got scales and weighed them and wanted to compare them to the average.

Hereford yearling heifers: 650 to 800
Hereford yearling steers: 675 to 850

Management and feed quality can affect this a fair bit. I have seen some people raise 500 lb yearlings and some raise 1200 lbers. :cowboy:

thank you Aaron for a straight sensible answer. that was all i was looking for. was worried about the heifers more because i want to put them to the bull at 15 months. mine are between 685lbs and 755lbs. is there a minimum weight before they can be served or does it depend on the size of bull that will serve them and weather they can hold him without injury.

What age are they right now? I like to see heifers at least 800 lbs before breeding, but many people feed their heifers separately and pamper them from the main cowherd, so they breed a little lighter and feed them heavier and better to gain and calve at around 1000 lbs. :cowboy:

The data I have seen is that Hereford are one of the lowest breeds for milk, so you see some 400# to 500# weaning weights. I think they grow pretty well after that. I think an 1000# easy keeping cow with a calf like that is a money maker. My simi/hereford cows wean my biggest calves but I think they eat the most also...

There is one local Hereford breeder who has 1900# cows ... Not sure what his weaning weights are but I hope they are well over 500#. Cows look like they have some red holstein in them :frowns:

Aaron. they will be 12 months old in a week or so. i want to put them to the bull at 15 months. their average gain since birth is 1.65lbs. if they continue at that they should be around 898lbs when the bull serves them. all the sums add up but to me they look small. lets hope the next 3 months will make a difference

Stocker Steve":3j3opsdx said:
The data I have seen is that Hereford are one of the lowest breeds for milk, so you see a lot of 400# weaning weights. I think they grow pretty well after that.

All depends who your genetics supplier is. There are a lot of reputable CDN Hereford breeders that register and keep heifers that only weigh 300-350 lbs. @ 205 days (The beauty of online registry searches). There are some breeders who weigh off 500 lbs, some 600 lbs and some 700 lb weaning weights. Although time of year the calf was born has a lot of effect on weaning weights. Jan-Feb calves will always have bigger 205 days weights than April-May calves. :cowboy:

sporder, my Herefords average 205 day weaning weight for 2 seasons in Wis is right about 635 lb for heifers, 690 lb for steers. I'll have yearling weights in a week or two. 2 different bulls though.

If your heifers have a 205 day weight in the 600 lb range you should have no problem breeding them at 15 months so they have their first calf about 24 months old. Just make sure you use a calving ease bull.

It is nice having a scale isn't it. Brings up a lot of questions and what-if's. Good to have data rather than guessing.

An interesting number to follow is the calf 205 day weaning weight as a percent of the cow's weight at weaning. That one will really wake you up as to which cows are earning their keep.

good luck.

Jim

Our Herefords weight at 200 days average of 300kg, Bulls 20kg more and heifers little less. Yearling weights are bulls about 530kg and heifers 430kg. Mostly we fed good silage freely and some (2kg/day) barley and protein. Weights could be alot better if we would use more high energy feed like barley.

Most Hereford cattle,here, in NE Mont.will weigh just as much as straight Angus. Give or take a few lbs for management. Good water ,grass and a good mineral program all have a importants a nd lot to do with all weights. We would expect these heifers to weigh at a year of age right at 75% of their mature weight. But if the heifers are healthy and growing well they will breed. They do not have to be the biggest to make great cows.

April Fools.

BTW - Silly question, your management and environment have more to do with the WW and YW than genetics or breeds.[/quote]

giftedcowboy":2brg64ar said:
WichitaLineMan":2brg64ar said:

ROFL...Talk about a wild ass guess, you must have zero cattle experience....

April Fools.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I guess it takes some longer than others to get the joke!

Those weights might be pretty accurate on the miniatures!

George

Latest posts