Hereford trivia question

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Here's something that's totally unimportant, but I'm just curious if anyone knows: I have seen references on these boards to a "Vindicator" line of Hereford cattle. Just saw that tonight Turner Movie Classics is running an old movie titled The Rare Breed. It's been about 30 years since I saw that movie, but I remember the name of the Hereford bull that was brought to Texas by the English lady was named Vindicator. Does the actual Vindicator line referred to on these boards pre-date the movie? Or do you think years ago some Hereford breeder saw the movie and decided to name one of his bulls Vindicator? Sort of like me lifting a name from my favorite character on the old Green Acres TV show! Regards, Arnold Ziffle

I think that the Vindicator line predates the movie.
The movie producers researched the Hereford breed
and liked the name "Vindicator" and used his name
in the movie.
That is a very good movie.

I personally don't like to watch any movies that is
on any of Ted Turners channels.

HEREFORD IMPORTATIONS
Herefords came to the United States in 1817 when the great statesman Henry Clay of Kentucky made the first importation -- a bull and two females. These cattle and their offspring attracted considerable attention, but they were eventually absorbed by the local cattle population and disappeared from permanent identity.
The first breeding herd in America is considered to be one established in 1840 by William H. Sotham and Erastus Corning of Albany, New York, and for practical purposes Herefords in the United States date from the Sotham-Corning beginning. The more densely populated eastern area of the United States, including herds in New England, was the early home of Herefords and from there they fanned out to the South and West as the population expanded and the demand for beef increased.

Records of the New York State Fair reveal that 11 Herefords were exhibited there in 1844 and were highly praised. Several breeders were active in exhibiting at fairs and exhibitions in the East and Midwest where the Herefords met with great success. Perhaps the greatest early interest in the breed came from the 1876 Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia where T. L. Miller was awarded a medal for the first-prize herd.

HEREFORDS - THE GREAT IMPROVER
With the end of the Civil War and the coming of the American Industrial Revolution, the westward expansion continued and so did America's appetite for beef. Western ranching developed from free land and local longhorned cattle originally brought to Mexico by the Spanish conquerors and allowed to drift northward into what is now America's great southwestern cattle country. These cattle were tough and had the bred-in ability to survive, a trait that enabled their being driven to railhead shipping points and then transported by rail to slaughter at eastern markets. It was on such cattle that Herefords proved the great improver. They survived the rough ranching conditions and improved beef quality in the process. Demand for Hereford bulls boomed.

Wasn't advancer the sire of 12h who was in turn the sire of Driver the cow killer? Or am I wrong . Never bred any herefords but was somewhat familiar at least with the names.

Ollie":1klul06y said:
Wasn't advancer the sire of 12h who was in turn the sire of Driver the cow killer? Or am I wrong . Never bred any herefords but was somewhat familiar at least with the names.
I would have to research that one some on the Advancer line. Advance lines were horned. The advance line used two bulls on a closed line Advance 20th and 54th to standardize the breed. There were other breeders at this time with closed lines doing the same thing 13 if my memory serves me correct. I am not familar with the advancer line . The vindicator line again if my memory serves me started with a scurred bull named Plato at the turn of the 20th century. Plato calves were born polled. The Advance and Plato lines are the bloodlines on which horned and polled breeds as we know them today.

Latest posts