hereford temperament video

Help Support CattleToday:

sporder

Reaction score
does anyone know why my 16 month old bull seems to be lively. i ve had him a month and he will let my put halter on and stand ok while tied but as soon as you untie and try to lead he is head down and leaps around. not to keen on being in pen with him. he seems to be more lively just after he has had his barley/oats mix. i also mix a little mineral with it. could this be what excites him.

lot of show boaters on here that can help you,, but when i wanted too knock the pi$$ and vinager out of a colt,, id cut back his feed ,,,

seems like he has some extra energy. Maybe let him out into a pasture with some steers or cutback the energy in his diet?

I think you have gotten all the advice you need, cut back or no more grain and get him outside, by himself or with steers if you have them until he is ready to breed cows. To me he looks hyped up on grain in a small pen. I'll also add that with horses the second you take the halter off they know they have free will and off they go, so being released may be part of the factor also.

P.S. decent looking bull.

JMO,
Alan

thanks. he does have access to a yard through the opening in the corner. the breeder i brought him from said it would be best to feed him grain twice a day as well as silage because he is still growing. i ll cut him down each feed. he does seem to settle after his little display.

You get a new bull you thinks going to really help your program, you might have a tendency to spoil him a little bit. It's not going to make his calves any better though. Depending on how much you're feeding, I would wean him off it and get him on hay or pasture if you have it. I would drop the mineral in the feed now, they don't need to be force fed mineral, just offer it free choice to him, he'll get what he needs.

How is his behaviour any different then the cows when they get turned into a new pasture? Farting and kicking and feeling good.

sporder":1etu712z said:
thanks. he does have access to a yard through the opening in the corner. the breeder i brought him from said it would be best to feed him grain twice a day as well as silage because he is still growing. i ll cut him down each feed. he does seem to settle after his little display.

The breeder doesn't want you calling him saying, "the bull I got off you looks like crap after only being at my place a few weeks" I wish I could convince the folks who buy my stock to feed the heck out of them, I wouldn't have to be so picky about what I sold. :lol:

have to agree with the others, he looks like he is just playing around. Doesn't seem to show aggression towards you standing there..

Hmmmmm...lol...That is just like me...I acted that way in High School when the cheerleaders walked by...rofl

You are not showing him so why do you need him on a halter, most bulls are easily moved around without a nose ring or halter.

BTW you never ever give grain before you handle as it is an energy boost, they get it as a treat after they have done a good job.. ;-)

I assume that's the Bradstock bred bull? anyway I think you've made a very good choice and i am pretty sure his calves will confirm that.

He is just playing, don't you have a steer to put in with him? Although he'll do fine on just hay I'd rather talk to Richard before changing his diet in case it might affect the guarantee.

All of my hereford bulls act like that when i add some fresh straw for bedding. They go nuts for a while, then they go back to eat...this bull doesnt look like a violent one. Bull looks great!

Latest posts